Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I did my own DIY down UQs asymmetrical, and did dart the inside material a bit differently due to the deferential. Same for the baffles.

My hammocks are asymmetrical.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

I think I'm starting to wrap my mind around how to make differential cuts. The tough part will be knowing how much smaller to make the inner layer

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Does anyone commercially offer an asym UQ? Seems like a bit of a drag keeping two different stocks of quilts, head left-feet right, or head right-feet left. I guess you could flip the UQ depending on how you slept.

By the way, the KAQ New River is a rectangle, according to their website:

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...nderQuilt.html

"Construction of the quilt is similar to the Potomac, but this quilt is rectangular and is flat."

The Potomac would seem to be asymmetrical, since it's designed for Hennessy Hammocks, which are asymmetrical hammocks.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 02-05-2016 at 23:25.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Flipping the UQ probably wouldn't work so well as the outer fabric layer won't prevent you from over tightening and consequently compressing your insulation.

Hammock
    Hennessy Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Ropes ATM
    I heard from AHE just this week that the Potomac is Asym

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm planning to make an underquilt that has no insulation in the top right and bottom left corner (I sleep head left, feet right) to save a bit of weight, since I have never noticed needing the insulation there. I'm not sure if somebody has done something exactly like this - but there are underquilts with diagonal baffles (e.g. Locolibre).

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    I've built a couple of variations on this idea. I like my current one where I've sewn the UQ directly to a 2 layer hammock. The UQ is a narrow rectangle and angled to match my sleep orientation (Head left, feet right so wie @Hutzelbein). I've had it out 6 times now and it's doing well. Wouldn't work for folks who move around a lot. So while there's not really a category for asym under quilts yet, there's a few oddball examples out there.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Aren't WB's Yetis asym? Or am I confused/mistaken?

(I know, it could be "Yes" to both questions, they aren't mutually exclusive...)
    Yes it is, but only so far as it is shaped to try to improve fit on your left shoulder. It is specifically designed to e used with the standard WBBB, which come's in a head-left lay. Head right lay is available upon request last I checked, but has an additional fee for non-standard work.

If you dig back in the archives you can find a thread where he posted details of the shape for his first synthetic prototypes. Who knows what adjustments have been made since, but it'll give you an idea of what the shape is.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopie; Dutchgear
    My LocoLibre UC has a "Right hang" to keep the baffles in line with my body when hanging in the BBXLC.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppilas View Post
    Outandback, I believe you as far as not needing one. The KAQ under quilt is a trapezoidal asymmetric UQ , I believe. I think I've seen a couple others.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Does anyone commercially offer an asym UQ? Seems like a bit of a drag keeping two different stocks of quilts, head left-feet right, or head right-feet left. I guess you could flip the UQ depending on how you slept.

By the way, the KAQ New River is a rectangle, according to their website:

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...nderQuilt.html

"Construction of the quilt is similar to the Potomac, but this quilt is rectangular and is flat."

The Potomac would seem to be asymmetrical, since it's designed for Hennessy Hammocks, which are asymmetrical hammocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCGobbler View Post
    I heard from AHE just this week that the Potomac is Asym
    Indeed it is. I own 2.

SilvrSurfr hit the main point - though an asym quilt makes keeping the quilt up on one shoulder and one foot a bit easier, the trade-off is that if you have a symmetrical hammock and want to reverse your lay you need to flip the quilt over. Which means both faces would ideally be made from a fabric suitable for exposure to the weather making it a few grams heavier than quilts that use a lighter fabric on the "inside" face.

I have both asym UQs (Potomacs) and symmetrical (HG) and they all work equally well on asym hammocks (HH and Dream Hammock) and symmetric hammocks (Dutch). On my list of UQ features, asym cut is a very low priority. I don't buy or not buy based on that. But if you're making your own gear and you have an asym hammock, I don't see why you wouldn't give it a go.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12