DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Rollintent, in that scenario of tightening the foot end alone to raise it would probably make it too tight and uncomfortable. I like to have a decent amount of sag, which can be estimated by the tension of the ridgeline. But I now use a hammock without a ridgeline, so I'm really eyeballing it. Luckily, never any problems. In fact, after ditching the ridgeline I sleep more comfortably and have no calf ridge pressure. But that could be due to the different hammock material. Or because I'm not worried about getting it "just right". Maybe we over-analyze things.

Lots going on with such a simple thing like a hammock!!

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.7 oz gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    New River UQ,
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Maybe we over-analyze things.

Lots going on with such a simple thing like a hammock!!
    I am sure I am over analyzing it. I've had some hangs that were more comfy than others and I wish I had studied my setup harder following the good nights in order to try to replicate my results more consistently. It seems I have some really good hangs and some hangs that are really not that great, so I'm hoping the difference is in many of the things I do have control of. I'm still relatively new but I feel my learning curve is just starting to flatten out.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollintent View Post
    I am sure I am over analyzing it. I've had some hangs that were more comfy than others and I wish I had studied my setup harder following the good nights in order to try to replicate my results more consistently. It seems I have some really good hangs and some hangs that are really not that great, so I'm hoping the difference is in many of the things I do have control of. I'm still relatively new but I feel my learning curve is just starting to flatten out.
    It's crazy how that works; I don't understand it. In the past, even after making a note on the setup, I couldn't get it work the next time. The things I focus on the most now is the distance between the trees and getting that foot end about 8" higher. That's really it. I don't get too hung up on the angle, but I always estimate it around 30-35°.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I have never tried hanging my straps at different levels to achieve head lower/foot higher. It seems like a primitive option for people who have non-adjustable or poorly adjustable suspensions (think Hennessy Figure 8 rope suspension). I would personally expect my hammock suspension to provide the adjustability I require, not moving the hammock straps up and down the tree.
    Then your suspension is not at equal 30 degree angles with the foot end raised. It makes perfect sense to raise the footend strap to not change the angle or distance of the suspension.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanging Em High View Post
    Then your suspension is not at equal 30 degree angles with the foot end raised. It makes perfect sense to raise the footend strap to not change the angle or distance of the suspension.
    If I raise the straps on one tree, then it's definitely not at a 30 degree angle. I personally think we're talking about six of one, a half dozen of the other. As I mentioned, I strive to use the adjustability of my whoopie slings to achieve a minor, two or three inch difference between head and foot. I'm not looking for the 12 inch difference that Warbonnet and other integrated hammocks strive for.

With either method, the foot end will be higher than the head end, so it looks like a wash.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollintent View Post
    Your body stays level to the world it just shifts where your body rests in the hammock and helps avoid calf ridge and I believe aids in a getting a slightly "flatter" lay. I realize having your head actually lower than the rest of your body tends to cause problems. The angles of the hammock and ridgeline in my drawings are all exaggerated or at least "not to scale" for illustrative purposes.
    Ok. I really thought you were trying to hang like in your drawings with your head way down there. I was thinking you must be crazy! Yeah, one must do what they need to to get comfy. Too many variations in body and equipment for everyone's experience to be the same. Good luck!

If I raise the straps on one tree, then it's definitely not at a 30 degree angle. I personally think we're talking about six of one, a half dozen of the other. As I mentioned, I strive to use the adjustability of my whoopie slings to achieve a minor, two or three inch difference between head and foot. I'm not looking for the 12 inch difference that Warbonnet and other integrated hammocks strive for.

With either method, the foot end will be higher than the head end, so it looks like a wash.
    2-3" isn't a big deal. 12" or more is. With the footend strap higher with the footend 12" or more higher, the suspension angles are maintained. Equal height straps and the footend 12" or more higher, the angles change.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    I like the head end to be about 8" lower than the foot end. Two reasons: 1) no calf ridge and 2) my feet don't fall over the side of the hammock.

I, like SilvrSurfr, like my tree straps that the same height on the trees and make the adjustments with the whoopie slings which means my foot end will be closer to the tree than my head end. I have a ridgeline so my sag is always the same if it is tight, but always work to have at least 30* suspension angle off the tree using the thumb and first finger methode found in The Ultimate Hang book. Reason for this: 1) for me it is easier to position the tarp over the hammock the the tree straps are even with each other, 2) I have trouble sliding the tree straps up and down the tree trying to get the correct angle especially if the tree has a large diameter.

I do the same in my bedroom, foot end closer to the wall than the head end.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    ...I would personally expect my hammock suspension to provide the adjustability I require, not moving the hammock straps up and down the tree.
    I don't think I'd move it up and down either. Just eyeball the straps about a foot higher initially and adjust the whoopies as needed. I AM a newb though.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't know - it seems like a dubious assertion that raising the foot end straps on the tree maintains the 30* angle we desire, but tightening the whoopie sling affects the 30* angle. If one end of the hammock is 12 inches higher, then it's 12 inches higher. It doesn't matter if that was done by hanging the foot-end straps higher, or by tightening the whoopie sling.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast