Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle

Pea Pod

Quote Originally Posted by domromer View Post
    I was just looking at the speer's site and I see it's actually rated to 20f. I thought it had a much higher temp rating. So unless it's super cold you wouldn't need to bother with the 3rd layer.
    To get to that 20 degree rating you need to use a top quilt to fill that empty space.
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by domromer View Post
    I was just looking at the speer's site and I see it's actually rated to 20f. I thought it had a much higher temp rating. So unless it's super cold you wouldn't need to bother with the 3rd layer.
    That 20F is bottom only, at least unless you are using a pretty narrow hammock, or a little something to fill the top gap. Ed says he is an extremely cold sleeper, and I think he rates it at 50 on top by itself. I personally find that extremely conservative. With a narrow hammock and warm clothes I had with me any way, I have done mid 20s just barely OK.

Many owners really like their pods, so they must have something going for them, right? You are understandably trying to figure out what that is. And the top layer is the most confusing part.

BTW, I notice you have an ENO dbl. The PeaPod that is for sale right now is coming from some one trying to use it with an ENO dbl plus extreme diagonal. It did not work very well.

OK, my 42 oz Pea Pod is not going to be as warm on top as using two separate 21 oz quilts. Though this relative lack of top warmth will vary a good bit depending on how wide your hammock is and how much the pod is closed. For example, when using it with a more narrow hammock- like a Claytor No Net- there will be little to no lift above your body, and little to no air space that must be heated. Also depending on how much sag you hang the hammock with. Generally speaking, the wider the hammock and the more you are down in it like a bathtub, the more it will lift the pod and the less warm on top.

So what are the advantages? Well, there do seem to be some, though good separate quilts also have their advantages. Have you ever noticed yet that a number of owners, who have some times tried several different systems, report on what an excellent cold fighting machine the pod is, despite the "lift"?

Well, first of all, what happens if you fill the top space- which may be very small anyway depending on hammock- with that separate 40* or 20*F top quilt? What is your total loft then? A whole lot, and a lot more than either one by itself. So adding a fairly light TQ can turn the Pea Pod easily into a deep winter machine. Any top quilt inside the pod will be a lot warmer than that quilt by itself.

Next, conversely, it MIGHT actually be warmer on the bottom than two equal weight quilts Why? Because it seals off on the sides and ends easily, preventing cold air from migrating down into any small gap that might be present if you failed to get a perfect hang on your UQ. Small gaps underneath are really not much of a problem with the Pea Pod, in my experience. It is kind of a closed system, kind of like a mummy bag. But without the PITA of a mummy bag in a hammock. Depending, of course, on how much you choose to close it, or not. However, this is not as much of an advantage these days since the advent of snug fitting UQs, which are unlikely to have any gaps underneath.

But wait! there is another reason it may be warmer, even on top, than you might think: your head is covered with a huge chunk of loft, again like a mummy bag. And if the breathing hole is fairly small, just by draping some clothing over your neck, you get a function much like the neck collar on a good mummy bag. With very little worry about developing a big draft around your neck/shoulders if you move slightly in your sleep. And if that is not enough, more than one pod user has reported great success by simply closing the pod all the way. For some reason, no one has reported condensation problems doing this. But I would swear it boosts the temps by 20*.

But wait! There's more! A huge severe cold weather advantage( and huge versatility) of the pod is an on purpose gap which is then filled with puffy clothing, or quilts( like a Speer TQ) and/or pads and or space blankets or dry leaves. This basically makes the temp range almost unlimited on the bottom and top, depending on what you want to add. Using extra clothing or quilts on bottom is problematic with a snug design, because it will compress the loft.

Or, you can use a separate hood, and completely seal the pod around your neck, leaving your head outside. Or, with a narrow hammock, you can lay on your side using a small breathing hole, with all exhaled moisture being blown out past the pod and hammock, with your head, neck and face completely covered with several inches of loft.

Man, every time I go over this stuff again I nearly talk myself back into Pea Pod only over all else. But, really, it's just a matter of pros and cons. Many times I prefer my MWUQ and Golight TQ combo. And, the pod can not be used with every hammock. For instance, a BMBH or HH without mods. And claustrophobics or extra big folks with extra wide hammocks might much prefer a separate TQ/UQ.

Still, bottom line is, the Pea Pod, on most hammocks and for most folks ( if not REAL big folks) just flat out works, especially in really cold weather. And though, when used by itself and with a wider hammock like a Speer, it might not be as warm on top as a separate TQ/UQ of same weight, it has the advantage of not having to be so careful to avoid drafts when moving. And allows most any leg position ( frog legs, fig 4) again with out really having to worry about drafts around the legs.

That is all the advantages I can think of right now. But, it is not for every body.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Wow, that was great! Excellent report on the peapod vs uq. I havnt used my peapod yet, but it looks very simple to set up. I have used a homemade UQ----it worked, but was kind of hard to adjust to prevent airgaps etc. Also, with a TQ its not uncommon to wake up and your leg is sticking out into the cold (Im a wild sleeper---happens alot for me!) I think both choices are good,---------its just a matter of which cold weather solution you happen to like. I think when its all said and done, the weight ends up being about the same-------or very close.----------
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Yes, what he said... "Wow!"

Great explanation BillyBob! I'm glad the OP asked...

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    BillyBob that was just what I needed! Thank you sir. I have much better understanding of the pea pod now.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Domromer, I apologize for misinterpreting your followup question.

BTW, it's a bit ironic of BillyBob... when we were in the Sipsey, Doug and I repeatedly asked him how his Molly Mac Pack was working. He was trying so hard to be unbiased, his responses were a bit null. Finally, he said something positive, and praised the MMP! We have a good laugh. He's a great reviewer, and he takes his time!

I learned a lot from Billy's answer to your question.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post

BTW, it's a bit ironic of BillyBob... when we were in the Sipsey, Doug and I repeatedly asked him how his Molly Mac Pack was working. He was trying so hard to be unbiased, his responses were a bit null. Finally, he said something positive, and praised the MMP! We have a good laugh.
    That is funny!

He's a great reviewer, and he takes his time!

- MacEntyre
    Thanks MacEntyre and every one, and you are welcome. I always hope that occasionally my long windedness will actually be of some help to somebody.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    A very fine synopsis of the pros cons of the Peapod.

As in MOST things...fine for some..others...ymmv...

Thank you BB and Mac
    Tom

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post

BTW, it's a bit ironic of BillyBob... when we were in the Sipsey, Doug and I repeatedly asked him how his Molly Mac Pack was working. He was trying so hard to be unbiased, his responses were a bit null. Finally, he said something positive, and praised the MMP! We have a good laugh. He's a great reviewer, and he takes his time!

- MacEntyre

No prob. It was kinda a hard question to ask without sounding like I was just trying to trash the product. Which was furthest from my mind. Yeah BillyBobs synopsis was spot on. Pretty much made my decision on which sleeping system I'm going to use for my hammock.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Is it hard to moderate temps in a peapod?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast