Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Use a sleeping bag as a TQ and onward you go into winters grasp.
    Shug

If I would have watched this video a couple days ago, I wouldn't have had to post this thread, all the answers and info I was looking for! Thanks again Shug!

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hailey_Phillips View Post
    If I would have watched this video a couple days ago, I wouldn't have had to post this thread, all the answers and info I was looking for! Thanks again Shug!
    Watching is good, but trying it out is even better! Try it again if you can, play with different things and find what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by BrRabbit View Post
    Watching is good, but trying it out is even better! Try it again if you can, play with different things and find what works for you.
    I'm gonna try some stuff this weekend when I get some more free time. I have an old big fluffy mummy bag, not sure of the rating, but I rigged it up as an under quilt the other day, haven't tried it yet though. When I do try it, I'll post pics.

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    This little home-made thingie

DSC04841.JPG

+ thermarest + leather jacket (on the bottom) + full set of clothes (including thick synthetic under-jacket) on me + extra sleeping bag on top of regular sleeping bag + low setup & snow walls - helped this guy to survive his first hang.

Quote Originally Posted by BrRabbit View Post
    This little home-made thingie

DSC04841.JPG

+ thermarest + leather jacket (on the bottom) + full set of clothes (including thick synthetic under-jacket) on me + extra sleeping bag on top of regular sleeping bag + low setup & snow walls - helped this guy to survive his first hang.
    I think I'm gonna rig up something for my self-inflating pad for my shoulders. I have a few options and I've seen some ideas here. Gonna fool around this weekend and see what I come up with.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    My last night with a pad (and my son's), it was 22* F and we woke up in the morning soaked in condensation. I ordered an UQ the next day. No more condensation! You may be one of the lucky few who don't experience condensation with pads, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    Very true. Just because a pad works once, twice or ten times doesn't satisfy me. You never know when it will fail. There's a lot of weather and science behind that, which I won't pretend to understand. I had the same experience with condensation as SilvrSurfr.

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Very true. Just because a pad works once, twice or ten times doesn't satisfy me. You never know when it will fail. There's a lot of weather and science behind that, which I won't pretend to understand. I had the same experience with condensation as SilvrSurfr.
    I hope I don't have too much of a problem with condensation, I just need something for the couple times I'll be out when it's cool/cold. Most of the year here in MS is hot. If I start hanging more in the winter I'll invest in a UQ.

Hammock
    6x12 1.6oz Hyper D
    Tarp
    DIY Membrane 9x9
    Suspension
    Straps + Evenk
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnlogan View Post
    Does anyone here know why you get condensation with pads at low temps in a hammock? I know with ground sleeping, if you're getting lots of condensation, it often time means that your ground pad isn't providing enough insulation, so the top of the pad is getting cool enough to create dew" from your own body heat. The solution there is to get more/better insulation. So I'm wondering if the same thing applies to hammocks.

Just a thought.
    I'm not trying to be annoying, but I thought this deserved another look.

It seems as if most people have condensation issues with pads at lower temps. To me this points to not enough insulation. If the problem was that they are vapor barriers was the only issue, it stands to reason that you'd have both problems with condensation at all temps, and that every ground sleeper would have the same condensation issue, as pads are almost ubiquitously common on the ground.

I'm sure that it being a vapor barrier has some impact on it. But I'm also fairly certain that some of the problem is the top of the pad reaching its dew point, as that same problem exists on the ground, but it is perhaps less frequently seen there because of the lower temperature differential.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone else has information on this.

And this is I guess my long way of saying to the OP, that I've not had a problem with condensation yet on my pad. But I'm of the opinion that this might be because the temps weren't low enough yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ocnlogan View Post
    I'm not trying to be annoying, but I thought this deserved another look.

It seems as if most people have condensation issues with pads at lower temps. To me this points to not enough insulation. If the problem was that they are vapor barriers was the only issue, it stands to reason that you'd have both problems with condensation at all temps, and that every ground sleeper would have the same condensation issue, as pads are almost ubiquitously common on the ground.

I'm sure that it being a vapor barrier has some impact on it. But I'm also fairly certain that some of the problem is the top of the pad reaching its dew point, as that same problem exists on the ground, but it is perhaps less frequently seen there because of the lower temperature differential.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone else has information on this.

And this is I guess my long way of saying to the OP, that I've not had a problem with condensation yet on my pad. But I'm of the opinion that this might be because the temps weren't low enough yet.
    The only way I see this happening, which may be wrong, but think about your windows on your house on a cold day. Warm inside, glass being a vapor barrier, cold outside. Condensation forms from the temp difference without the ability of vapor to pass through. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I see it working. Hot above your pad, cold below, moisture can't pass through...

Hammock
    6x12 1.6oz Hyper D
    Tarp
    DIY Membrane 9x9
    Suspension
    Straps + Evenk
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hailey_Phillips View Post
    The only way I see this happening, which may be wrong, but think about your windows on your house on a cold day. Warm inside, glass being a vapor barrier, cold outside. Condensation forms from the temp difference without the ability of vapor to pass through. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I see it working. Hot above your pad, cold below, moisture can't pass through...
    That's exactly what is happening as far i understand it. And more specifically, its when the inside surface of the glass reaches the dew temperature. In other words, because the insulation (glass in this example) isn't up to the task of keeping the part next to you warm enough, water condenses on the pads surface because its too cold.

Alternatively, think about how much better double paned glass does with condensation in comparison to single pane.

It all makes sense in my head, but I'm not sure I'm explaining it very well. Perhaps a good way to check is to use either two pads, or a pad and an underquilt at the same time?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast