Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouBeard View Post
    I do like the idea of using a pad several different ways at camp. I have a Helinox Chair One Tactical that I'll be using for my chair though.

It's good to hear that the coverage is good for the Jarbidge. That is my main concern with it being a smaller UQ.

So if one were to have both the New River and the Jarbidge...which one would get the nod? Or is that more of a personal preference kinda thing? I'd rather save the money if I can for other gear and go with the Jarbidge, but if it's worth paying the extra for a full length UQ I can always wait and save up I guess.

Is it tricky at all to keep a pad in the foot end of a hammock?

Ahhh...it's such a tough decision...lol. One minute I'm sold on the Jarbidge and the next I'm wondering if I'd be better off just getting the New River.
    I have been thru that decision process myself - maybe flip a coin - "only you can make the call" :>) Base it on what you will use it mostly for. If I was not concerned about weight/size I'd go full size.

I went with the Jarbridge 1st, then saved up for a full length. I choose the one most appropriate for each trip (and the Jarbridge always wins). In Cold weather I stack the two. Also, I now have a spare for guest (= grandkids).

An option to consider, get the 3 season Jarbridge (regular/sale $100/$75 and 20 oz from AHE) and a SnugPak Under blanket (regular/sale $50/$45 and 45 oz from Barre Army/Navy Store). Get what you need now and watch for a sale on the other. Watch HF 'for sale' area for used equipment.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 02-07-2016 at 09:53.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I own several Jarbriges and other 3/4 UQs. If my feet start to get cold I throw my jacket down by by my feet for insulation.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouBeard View Post
    I was originally going to go with the New River Long UQ as I'm right at 6' and really wanted full coverage. However, I'm really considering the Jarbidge now. The plus sides of the Jarbidge that I can see are weight and pack size savings as well as price. With it measuring in at 42" x 58", it should give good coverage from my shoulders to my ankles as described on Paul's site.

My question is, when using a synthetic sleeping bag (Marmot Trestles 15°F in my case), do you need a pad of some sort under your feet? I know that synthetic insulation doesn't compress as much as down, and I'm not putting my "body" weight on the foot end of the bag.

Also, is the New River wider than the Jarbidge? How is the shoulder coverage on the Jarbidge?

Every time someone mentions the Jarbidge it seems to get great reviews. I really like the price and pack size/weight, but am wondering if it will do well down to the mid 20s being used with a 15° bag.
    Do like I did when I could not decide. Buy both. The new river seems to wrap around your shoulders a little more, but the Jarbidge keeps me warm also. Tested my Jarbidge out on 32 degree night. All toasty warm.............except my feet. Get a pad. As others have said it will come in handy as a sit pad. I am very happy with my AHE underquilts. Good product at a great price.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The Jarbidge UQ is my go-to UQ. Affordable, reliable, and well made. It is a no brainer.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon W 1.6
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator E 10°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlas918 View Post
    The Jarbidge UQ is my go-to UQ. Affordable, reliable, and well made. It is a no brainer.
    I asked Shug on Youtube (before I was a HF Member) what underquilt he'd recommend for the budget conscious and without skipping a beat, he lead me straight to the Jarbidge. I'm in Texas, so the Jarbidge should be more than adequate unless Shug himself invites me to one of his polar freeze fests I see on the Youtube. That dude loves him some cold weather!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12