DW HALF-WIT
    Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Ok how old is your son? My son is 4 I had a couple of vendors make some great product that will last him until his about '5'5". Dutch from DutchWare made me the first child Half-Wit and George from LocoLibreGear made me the first kid quilts for my son. These manufactures both make superb products that will last and be pertinent pieces of gear until ready for adult sizes. I also have gear from both of these vendors . They both have great service and will answer any questions asked.

Hammock
    DW HALF-WIT
    Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by craig.hertzog View Post
    I'm actually going to Lancaster next week, maybe I'll stop and check them out
    Check DutchWare out. Best bang for the buck and he is a guru . If you have the ability to go the store that would be awesome.

My son will be 13 next week. I plan on going out to Lancaster next week

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you haven't already picked up the HH, know that if you buy it direct (rather than, for example, R.E.I.) you can upgrade the tarp for just the price difference between the standard size (also sold separately) and the larger Hex model. The standard size just covers the hammock. If you want to be out of your hammock but not immediately in the rain, I recommend the Hex size. But full disclosure - I'm a LTA (Large Tarp Advocate). I fully respect those that want the lightest/smallest they can get away with - that's just not me.

If you have already bought the HH, but haven't used the tarp yet - haven't even unrolled it - maybe HH will still to a trade up for the cash difference. You'll have to check with them.

You got a short answer to your snakeskin question so here's a little more .... If you google around you can see youtube videos of their use. They are just a tapered nylon tube, open on both ends, that slides over a tarp or hammock while it is strung up. To deploy, all you have to do is attach the ends of the hammock or tarp the your suspension and slide the tubes back from the middle. A video will make that clearer.

I started using snakeskin with my hammocks but found the double ended stuff sack (called a bishop bag) worked best for me. I'm considering using them to wrangle the tarp but need to make some adjustments to my suspension so I have a "tail" that comes out the tapered end of the tarp to attach the main suspension. Problem is, with my height, my trees can't be too far apart or I can't reach the best height for hang angle. That means the tarp ends come pretty close to the tree - not a lot of room for an extra tail.

I haven't given up, it's just that the HH snake skins seem to have too much taper for me - for my tarp, given my continuous ridge line attachment points.

I'll agree on the upgrade to the larger tarp. I went with HH with the hex tarp. It's a no fail system to hang properly over the hammock the 1st time. Very sturdy tarp. Gave it the backyard test last storm. Winds, 3 inches of ice and 3 inches of snow. Had a dry hammock in a porch out set-up. The tarp can be used as a qiuck tent or to keep dry during a passing shower.

I'll definitely be going with the larger tarp if I go with hennessey. The only thing that's making me hesitate with them, and maybe this is just my lack of experience, but I just don't like that it can't be used without a bugnet. Am I wrong I'm that thinking?

Unzip it on one side, toss it over the side. Actually even in fall winter kinda slows the wind. Another feature on the HH is they have tabs near the shoulder area and have choice to open up the hammock by using cords and tarp pegs. Opens up the hammock. The built in ridgeline is nice too.

Oh ok, someone had told me that you can't use it without the bugnet. I like the look of them and like them a little better knowing that, just need to lay hands on one.

On the HH you can not take it off or leave the net at home. But unzip it on one side. Then you can easily have a seat. It is also a full protection. Not half.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Believe me, there will be times when that bugnet is a godsend.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast