What Size mayan Hammock to get?!!

Good day all,

I'm new to hammocks and have been reading through the forums which helped me alot on what i want to buy.

I am looking to get a mayan hammock from HAMMOCKRADA but am not sure what size to get.

It shall be for indoor use, as i am going to use it for a comfy lay, nap and occasionally sleep in over night.

My question is, how does the width difference matter during use? Are wider hammocks more comfortable?

There are 2 i have my eyes on, the Matrimonial no14 and the Large no 16. Reason also for going bigger than single is that my wife and daughter might want to join :-)

http://hammocksrada.com/17-matrimoni...mock-no14.html

http://hammocksrada.com/20-large-ham...olor-dark_blue

Also, how does a thicker cotton affect the comfort?
    http://hammocksrada.com/21-thick-cot...-natural_cruda

Any advise is much appreciated.

Best regards
    Reza

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    If you want to use it for a bed, they say get the largest one you can afford. I have a jumbo, which works very well for me. It's the largest you can get.

Thicker corded Mayan hammocks are for high traffic areas where people are going to be rougher with them. You'll see these outside at resorts, but for a bed, the thinner cotton is much more comfortable.

Keep in mind, during the winter months you might still want something beneath you to keep the chill off when sleeping.

Hammock
    1.8oz Camo RS 11' DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20 Incubator
    Suspension
    DutchBling w/Strap
    I slept in these style of hammocks for two years in the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico. My advice is the bigger the better. The comfort level gets better the bigger the hammock. But even the large and matrimonial hammocks are comfortable. And get cotton. It feels like silk compared to the nylon. Especially if it will be indoors out of the weather.

There are a few caveats you should be aware of with this style of hammock I will list them below because they are important and will affect the usability of the hammock.

1: DO NOT tangle the arms of the hammock! The ends of the hammock are extremely important to the lay of the hammock. If you drop the arms or get them tangled or twisted in any way, your hammock will not have a smooth lay. You will feel ridges in the hammock body and the hammock will be messed up. That chances of untangling the arms to make it right again is very slim. I'm sure it could be done, but depending on how bad they get messed up could prove difficult. So don't just toss the hammock in its storage. You take the hammock by both arms and spin it in gentle circles (like the plastic bag on a load of bread) and the wrap the arms around the body to keep everything in order.

2: DO NOT get in the hammock with shoes or clothing that will snag the strings. It is easy for the strings to catch on buttons, zippers, etc. If you get snagged and walk away too quick you will break a string. Sure you can tie it back together, but now you will have a high spot in the lay of the hammock. Not to mention if the weave comes out a little you will have a gapping hole. So save yourself the hassle. Only wear comfortable clothes while in the hammock... Like sweat outfits and t-shirts or pjs.

3: DON'T get it dirty. These hammocks have to be cleaned by hand. So if you don't mind the hassle of cleaning them by hand, you're fine. It's just super time consuming and you have to spread them out really big to dry them. So keep that in mind if you have little kids who have snotty noses and like to eat sticky suckers. I love kids, but not enough to let them lay in my hammock when they are a mess. I'll let hem lay in my rip stop hammock before my Mayan.

Hopefully those pointers help. You will love the Mayan hammocks. I have even taken my camping. They are super comfortable but heavy and you have to be a little more cautious with them to keep them in working order. Good luck and Happy Hanging!!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HammockBackpacker View Post
    1: DO NOT tangle the arms of the hammock! The ends of the hammock are extremely important to the lay of the hammock. If you drop the arms or get them tangled or twisted in any way, your hammock will not have a smooth lay. You will feel ridges in the hammock body and the hammock will be messed up. That chances of untangling the arms to make it right again is very slim. I'm sure it could be done, but depending on how bad they get messed up could prove difficult. So don't just toss the hammock in its storage. You take the hammock by both arms and spin it in gentle circles (like the plastic bag on a load of bread) and the wrap the arms around the body to keep everything in order.
    Here's a helpful thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ging-a-Hammock

3: DON'T get it dirty. These hammocks have to be cleaned by hand. So if you don't mind the hassle of cleaning them by hand, you're fine. It's just super time consuming and you have to spread them out really big to dry them. So keep that in mind if you have little kids who have snotty noses and like to eat sticky suckers. I love kids, but not enough to let them lay in my hammock when they are a mess. I'll let hem lay in my rip stop hammock before my Mayan.
    I did wash my Brazilian hammock in the machine after securing the ends. I wasn't a problem. Drying wasn't either; I just hung it up and gave it a day. No problems. Not sure if Mayans are different, but I can't imagine they are. As long as the ends are tied to prevent tangling, I don't see why machine washing shouldn't be possible.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    For washing in a machine, I'd secure the ends and put it in a mesh bag and wash it on gentle, but really washing them by hand is not that big a deal. I'm actually going to be washing mine by hand today, and since it's winter here in Canada, I'll be hanging it from my curtain rods, but laying it out on a hanging rack that I will place in the tub, just to prevent any undue stretching, although I've seen plenty of videos where just hanging it all is fine, so that's my own worry.

In the meantime, I'll be sleeping in my Freebird tonight. So, if this is your bed, make sure you have a back-up for sleeping for when you wash.

And yes, I got mine tangled, and it really affected the lay, but now I have a new skill and an unknown intuitive ability to untangle Mayan hammocks! Ha ha!

If I wear something like jeans while sitting in the hammock, I simply don't move a lot, which is an easy feat when sitting in a hammock, I find, or I place something down beneath me. However, for the most part, I'd agree to not wear any snaggy clothing i.e. some of my jeans snag more easily than others, and that will become apparent very quickly.

Let us know how it goes!

Thank you for the reply and advise. I guess the Large one it is! :-)

Thank you all for your replies.

Looking forward to a new way of living! :-)

Placing the order now!

I slept in these style of hammocks for two years in the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico. My advice is the bigger the better. The comfort level gets better the bigger the hammock. But even the large and matrimonial hammocks are comfortable. And get cotton. It feels like silk compared to the nylon. Especially if it will be indoors out of the weather.

There are a few caveats you should be aware of with this style of hammock I will list them below because they are important and will affect the usability of the hammock.

2: DO NOT get in the hammock with shoes or clothing that will snag the strings. It is easy for the strings to catch on buttons, zippers, etc. If you get snagged and walk away too quick you will break a string. Sure you can tie it back together, but now you will have a high spot in the lay of the hammock. Not to mention if the weave comes out a little you will have a gapping hole. So save yourself the hassle. Only wear comfortable clothes while in the hammock... Like sweat outfits and t-shirts or pjs.

Hopefully those pointers help. You will love the Mayan hammocks. I have even taken my camping. They are super comfortable but heavy and you have to be a little more cautious with them to keep them in working order. Good luck and Happy Hanging!!

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I have a 14 foot brazillian hammock, also cotton, and like it very much for hanging in my house. Enjoy.

Hammock
    1.8oz Camo RS 11' DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20 Incubator
    Suspension
    DutchBling w/Strap
    Hey RezaM, when you get your hammock, set it up and post some pics. I'd love to see what you got.

• + New Posts