Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    I just got back from WalMart - got some really dark green 60" wide uncoated taffeta - very tight weave. This will be the dark side of the quilt. I think I have some DWR gray ripstop (the stuff I was going to send HE for his tarp until I tested it ). I'll use that for the light side.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to keep the male dino quilt on the male dino - he won't use a foot box. Any suggestions? He's using a Thermarest ProLite 4 - on the ground .

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dino View Post
    Now all I have to do is figure out how to keep the male dino quilt on the male dino - he won't use a foot box. Any suggestions? He's using a Thermarest ProLite 4 - on the ground .
    Won't gravity take care of that for you?

Images
    Well, if male dinos were flat.... however, male dinos are somewhat round.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    hmmm... if he won't use a foot box (i love mine<g>) how about a couple elastic straps near the foot end that would go under the pad?
    if not, you may just need to make his quilt a full rectangle so it'll drape around his feet.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Good idea, Slowhike. He ends up kicking it off no matter what. He unmakes our bed every night ( the female dino has her own blankies and her presence can only be verified by the nose sticking out )

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have normal 1.9 oz untreated ripstop for my hammock body and 1.1 oz Walmart DWR for the rest of it. I've never had down leak from the 1.1 oz Walmart DWR. Or from the 1.9 oz either, but I think part of that might be b/c the down only hangs from below it so there really isn't any pressure on it, unlike when you roll around in a quilt or sleeping bag.

But if you just have 1.1 oz DWR from Walmart, I think the quality of down would affect it more than making sure you have "downproof" fabric. It's usually the quills that poke through anyway...high quality down won't have as much quills.

That's just my experience...I'm certainly not an expert on all things down.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dino View Post
    Good idea, Slowhike. He ends up kicking it off no matter what. He unmakes our bed every night ( the female dino has her own blankies and her presence can only be verified by the nose sticking out )
    You could safety pin the bottom of the quilt to his socks... (assuming he were sleeping in socks.) Otherwise...

Hammock
    90&quot;x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Re: How do you tell if fabric is downproof?

Upon searching how one can tell if fabric is down proof, I found this very old thread. However, this is still my question. I have used 1.1 ripstop from DIY Gear Supply with great results. I recently purchased from a warehouse some fabric that looks and feels identical to the grey 1.1 ripstop I had used before. I had planned to use it for some down quilts. Now, I am wondering if it is down proof and how I would tell. I want to purchase some similar fabric on my next trip for several quilts, but I wanted to ask everyone's opinion first. Making quilts is hard enough without worrying that they might leak down. I'm not concerned about the occasional feather quill that may poke through, I just don't want a white snowing effect coming from them. Any thoughts??
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebugdawn View Post
    Upon searching how one can tell if fabric is down proof, I found this very old thread. However, this is still my question. I have used 1.1 ripstop from DIY Gear Supply with great results. I recently purchased from a warehouse some fabric that looks and feels identical to the grey 1.1 ripstop I had used before. I had planned to use it for some down quilts. Now, I am wondering if it is down proof and how I would tell. I want to purchase some similar fabric on my next trip for several quilts, but I wanted to ask everyone's opinion first. Making quilts is hard enough without worrying that they might leak down. I'm not concerned about the occasional feather quill that may poke through, I just don't want a white snowing effect coming from them. Any thoughts??
    Thread count is important but you probably don't have access to that. Is the fabric calendared? That will help if it has the right thread count. Is it really easy to blow through, if Yes I'd stay away from it, if it has good resistance to blowing through it should be good to use. Make a test panel, say 24X24 sewn with baffles, think mini quilt and stick it in dryer for 30 minutes with tennis balls if you really want to be sure. You'll have some leakage as no breathable fabric is 100% down proof. You can always send it is IDFL for testing like we do...

No fun making a quilt with unknown fabric only to find out it leaks like a sieve....
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    90&quot;x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Re: How do you tell if fabric is downproof?

No, it sure isn't fun. I was wondering how you tested your fabrics, now I know. I feel better knowing that thread count is what is important. I'm guessing that is why the brown (coyote brown, I think) that DIY GEAR Supply has is not down proof. He said it appears to be a lower thread count than what they would expect from 1.1 ripstop. Making quilts is not my favorite thing, so it would seriously be bad if I had them leak. I applaud you and Missy for what you do day after day. Your quilts are beautiful. Thanks, Paul, for answering.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12