Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Custom silnylon
    Insulation
    Down UQ, d.i.y TQ
    Suspension
    LoopAlien
    I guess i'll comment here since i'v mentioned the knock off LA's about a million times

I started off with the knock offs but was so impressed with the design i felt i had to have some genuine ones and support the original designer
    Which something i do feel is important
    Thing about the knock off LA's though, and i think the reason they get mentioned so often is that they are better than the originals in many ways and more versatile

Cost is also a greater factor for us here in the uk. If i were to order as many as i use for hammock and tarp from the u.s i'd be into high postage costs, import duty, VAT, and local postal handling fees. While buying from china will cost me less than $10 for everything, thats pretty tempting you have to admit

As for waiting for them to come back into stock. The large UFA's were a limited run so they may never happen again and if the company doesn't respond to emails many people simply will not wait around indefinitely while periodically checking the site for new stock

Saying all that though. The loop alien is a superb design and i will deffo be buying more genuine ones when available

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Did someone mention Loop Aliens?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunndog View Post
    ....Saying all that though. The loop alien is a superb design and i will deffo be buying more genuine ones when available
    I'd like to weigh in on this as well. I love the design of the Loop Alien. Right now I have them on both my hammock and tarp. KoLA's aluminum on the tarp and KoLA's stainless on the hammock. The only reason I am using the knock-offs is because I can't buy the real deal and if the Ti LA's come back in stock I'll buy a bunch of them and ditch the Ko's. So, Loop Alien dudes? Are you listening? We're ready to buy!

The knock-offs are larger than the originals. Not overly large, but they are the largest piece of suspension / ridge line kit I have. And the stainless are certainly heavier than the Ti would be. Plus, I would much rather support the originator and a US company if possible.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    http://ripstopbytheroll.com/collecti...ucts/loopalien
    They have 65 in stock according to the website if you are still wanting to support the original.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Those are the stainless. It would be wonderful if the proprietor would respond and of course start production. Really interested in the Ti LA UFA's.

Hammock
    DIY bridge+10 0thers
    Tarp
    HH Hex + DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ/U Q + DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Cinch Bu
    Funny the site specifically says they are Aluminum!!!
    Last edited by ezhiker; 02-16-2016 at 19:07. Reason: Misspelling

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Right now I have them on both my hammock and tarp. KoLA's aluminum on the tarp and KoLA's stainless on the hammock. The only reason I am using the knock-offs is because I can't buy the real deal.... .
    Indeed it does, and my posting of the link (which has been shared several times in this thread) was to point out he could replace the knock off items he has with the original ones from the source or an official dealer of them. To each his own and all that, but I'm sure if I started slinging around KOdutch or KODH or KOAHE the community wouldn't stand for it. I'm not here to rock the boat, but in the old days we would have just started a thread asking everyone to share our request for new items and encouraging the vendor to produce them.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk ultralight
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfiters
    Insulation
    15 deg. Bag and UQ
    Suspension
    Daisychain / biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tangara View Post
    I've got both kinds and I'm not sure I'd trust them for the ridgeline. They are easily bent. If you string a tight line or have some pretty good wind gusts, I'm not sure. I've got no proof, I didn't trust them so I've got no field testing. I used the steel ones. If you did do it, I'd double them up for strength. You'd still save on weight.
    I would stick with Tarp Flyz on dutchwaregear.com if you think loop aliens will bend, these are made out of titanium.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC Rick View Post
    Indeed it does, and my posting of the link (which has been shared several times in this thread) was to point out he could replace the knock off items he has with the original ones from the source or an official dealer of them. To each his own and all that, but I'm sure if I started slinging around KOdutch or KODH or KOAHE the community wouldn't stand for it. I'm not here to rock the boat, but in the old days we would have just started a thread asking everyone to share our request for new items and encouraging the vendor to produce them.

Trying to figure out the intent of your post...

On one hand, we have an active vendor (insert Dutch, AHE or any other) providing available product.

On the other hand, we have an inactive vendor who created a product, and ceased production and any form of communication indicating whether production would ever resume.

I would NEVER condone a knock-off of Dutch or AHE hardware that is in current production. That said, if the parties at LoopAlien communicated with anyone of us, indicating that production would resume, I would likely hold out, pre-order if possible, and not support competitors. Likewise, if one of active manufactures picked up production (within the confines of patent law etc), I would support them as well.

Seems to me (and many others who have responded here) the manufactures of the LoopAliens are defunct, and have done nothing to change this consumer opinion.

Dunno... am I missing something? Open to another point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorking1234 View Post
    I would stick with Tarp Flyz on dutchwaregear.com if you think loop aliens will bend, these are made out of titanium.
    I've torqued the aluminum loop aliens pretty tight and see no deflection or disfigurement even on the ones I have cut open.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    The point being knock off products are not competitors, they are copies. While the specific item the interest is in (Ti aliens) may not be in active production (as far as we know), the business still has product to be purchased, in stock and available on the web. There would be no problem what-so-ever with buying a competitors product that might meet the need of the user, but buying and/or supporting a blatant copy is (IMO) wrong.

Of course this doesn't address the issue with the lack of communication from the vendor to the public, but to me, that still doesn't rationalize supporting copies of a product.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0/WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Incubator/Lynx
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Whoopie
    If we, as customers, want to purchase a product that someone is no longer producing and find a similar product elsewhere, there should be no moral issue. If McDonalds stopped selling Big Macs, would it be wrong to buy a Big King from Burger King?

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast