Dream Hammock Thunderbird MC
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

CO > Aspen/Snowmass > Four-Pass Loop / Late July

The Four Pass Loop - http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5186829.pdf - has been on my radar ever since I moved out here. Other then short over-nights, I have never done any real camping out here. This summer could well be my last one out here in Colorado. I certainly can't afford another bike trip this summer so will be staying local. I can take a few days off here and there or my entire 2-week block of vacation days.

There are a few little short 1 or 2 day hikes that I should be able to do Solo (unless anyone is in the area and wants to join me) but more on those later.

I really do want to do the 4-Pass Loop but not Solo. Based on the winter we are having (3 ft of snow last week, 45'F weather this week) its hard to predict what the snow coverage will be like come spring. It does seem to be that end of July into August is the best time to do this 4 day hike. Less chance of snow, lower stream levels, etc. As the Leadvill-overnight seems planned for early July, I would be more then happy to do this in late July. (And don't need a ride as there is a bus that takes me to the trailhead!)

If anyone would be interested, we can start talking logistics and dates etc. Might be better to do it in the middle of the week (less chance of the parking lots being crowded/less people on the trail and campsite).

Anyone interested?

I might be? This is also the last year I'll have easy access to Colorado. I can't promise anything now but I'm definitely interested in doing the Four Pass.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I did it last August in the middle of the week and the parking lot was still quite crowded. But you can get a shuttle from Aspen Highlands with free parking so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Hammock
    WB BB / RR and Amok 3.0
    Tarp
    HG Cuben / WB SF
    Insulation
    HG Bottom and Top
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I might be interested as well

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I am planning on doing Midway Creek Trail 1993 (http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5186909.pdf) before hand as a warmup. Its an overnight trip over a 12,100 ft pass that winds its way back to town down a creek. It does involve at least 1 Creek Crossing, so will be good experience for me in that regards (early spring melt, the creek is impassable, so will play it by ear based on the weather here).

Its 53'f today (and tomorrow) so not very wintery. The past month has been sunny and in the 40'f's range, so major meltdown going on. Sunnyside of things is all grass, while snow remains in the shade and higher elevations. I have heard rumors that March/April/May are going to be high-precipitation (rain at this rate, snow if the temps drop) so snow coverage is still 50/50 at this point...at this stage, I don't want any/much more snow so that the camping season can start early this year! Probably June but will keep everyone posted as the date approaches.

Hammock
    12' DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    12' Warbonnet Thun
    Insulation
    Down Quilts
    Suspension
    Dutchware Beetle B
    I wish I could go. Growing up, we camped in the Lincoln Gulch campground between Aspen and Independence Pass every year on vacation. I love that area.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Winter incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I may be interested in this when the time comes...

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A little more information on the 4-Pass-Loop, namely the actual route with elevation profile:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12824473

Still aiming to do this in July.

Hammock
    Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE and Costco
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Some friends and I will probably be doing the Four Pass Loop in late July as well. Any insight on what temps to expect? Last time I was in CO around this time it hit low 30's at night. Thanks.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    At that sort of elevation (8000+ ft) I would expect overnight lows in the 30's. It usually doesn't get below freezing, but it will also depend on the snowpack etc. Very hard to predict right now - we got an inch or 2 of snow overnight in town, but today the temp is expected to hit near 60'f...typical spring weather here. A large storm could dump a good amount of snow up top which will take longer to melt.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast