Devils Path, Catskills advice. When to Hike?

About 7 friends and I are planning a trip for Devil's Path in the Fall of 2017. Yes a long way out, but unfortunately with this many guys involved, there's a lot of families to plan around. I'm currently thinking October/November. Possibly September depending on when my daughter's birthday ends up (Due this coming September). Not going to do spring with the youngest being so, well, young.
    I'm in Ohio, so hiking in November doesn't typically concern me weather wise, but I'm not experienced with NY or that kind of elevation. Any advice on when to go, as well as when to avoid, is very much appreciated.

Hammock
    Bearded Hanger
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    LLG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    You can read my write-up here. I'd say just hope for good weather or it's going to be a pain! With that said, have fun! The trail and area are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Irregularpulse View Post
    About 7 friends and I are planning a trip for Devil's Path in the Fall of 2017... Any advice on when to go, as well as when to avoid, is very much appreciated.
    The wife and I both agree that hiking the Catskills Mtns are easier in the winter time. The snow fills the voids around the rocks on the ground. The temps are comfortable for a swift pace. Usually less people around, and no bugs. Plenty of snow for drinking water.

We both have completed all 35 peaks above 3500' and then did them again in the winter. (Winter35R)

We did the whole Devil's Path this past New Years weekend. West to East. It was a nice trip. The few icy rock scrambles were manageable with proper traction. We used crampons. (Not micro spikes)

Spring time can be messy with mud at the bottom and slushy snow at the top.

Fall is a nice time to go. Less bug pressure, cooler temps. Some of the views are nicer without the leaves on the trees. It does get a little crowded sometimes, during leafer season.

Its all a compromise of what you're willing to deal with.

Enjoy your trip.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    I live about 25 miles North of the Catskill park. You want to hit them in the last week of September or first week in October. Some of the views off the mountains are amazing with fall colors at the peak. Any later than that, and you risk early season ice, which can be pretty scary given some of the inclines you'll be hitting.

Quote Originally Posted by hk2001 View Post
    I live about 25 miles North of the Catskill park. You want to hit them in the last week of September or first week in October. Some of the views off the mountains are amazing with fall colors at the peak. Any later than that, and you risk early season ice, which can be pretty scary given some of the inclines you'll be hitting.
    Thanks!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    This is good to know. I want to do Devil's Path this fall, so this sounds like the perfect time to do it. And it gives me the summer to get my "trail legs."

• + New Posts