Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    New to the forum and first post. Did a test run in the back yard last night and it went great. got to minus 11* here in Boston. I have the superfly but never put it up. Primarily hang/hike during winter mountain trips so I wanted the gusts and wind last night to simulate a below average experience.
    Gear
    -Warbonnet BB
    -JRB Mt washington UQ
    -Hammock Gear Icubator 0* TQ with reflectix in the footbox
    Clothing
    -Liners, plastic bags, smart wool expedition socks
    -Columbia midweight omni thermal bottoms with rain pants over as a VB
    -Columbia midweight omni heat thermal tops with a sauna suit top as a VB
    -neoprene balaclava and winter hat

I turned in about 10 and slept real good until around 3. Woke up and put on fleece sweatpants. from then on I was very comfortable and warm except for my eyes. I never got back into a deep sleep because I didn't want to suck it up and get out of that warm down goodness to go get my fleece balaclava in the house.

All in all I would bring another fleece/light down top to bed with me and maybe another set of light thermal bottoms. cant believe how well the UQ and TQ stood up to the -11*. First good cold VB test and its nice not waking up in the middle of the night with a damp or wet spot from overheating. With the VB layers I can wake up and take a layer off because Im hot instead of waking up cold and find out my clothing/down is damp.

IMG_20160214_101753175.jpgIMG_20160214_182957414.jpg
    Last edited by Jotunr; 02-14-2016 at 22:05. Reason: Pics were in the middle of the posts wording

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I was out last night for about 1 hour. Forgot to adjust my UQ ( had it set up for a 11 ft ENVYS and used it on a BB ( 10 ft ) hammock ) and after a while I got CBS. I was nice and warm on top but decided to go on inside. Planning on sleeping out tomorrow night ( with UQ adjusted to hammock )
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

I ticked off last night, I think it got down to around 25F. We were supposed to get some significant wintry precipitation but all I heard was a smattering of sleet once or twice and nothing on the ground when I woke up. I had been hoping for more of a test. Of course, by the time I got to Raleigh on my commute it was total mayhem due to the icy roads.

I recently replaced the 1/4" shock cord I was using for my primary UQ suspension with 1/8" shock cord and I must say it really felt a lot better. Less pressure at the edges, generally better behaved, and of course lighter. It felt really nice last night. Glad I did that.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    We reached approx 1º with heavy wind gust up to 25-30mph and steady wind at 10-15mph.

Old Man Winter by Wilderness Logics
    XLC with top cover from Warbonnet Outdoors
    0º Burrow, snaps, cinched, plugged, no overstuff from Hammock Gear
    20º Zeppelin from Underground Quilts
    UQP from 2QZQ
    Single lightweight base layer of compression synthetic cold weather gear, medium weight wool socks and a buff for the head.

Underquilt was initially stacked with a Costco throw quilt but was removed about an hour in.
    Tarp wasn't staked low, normal height so the bottom of the hammock was exposed. (but protected by UQP)
    Doors closed.

CPAP blew cold air all night, that's one of the things about CPAP, you're not just breathing ambient air, it's forced air and it feels COLD. Kind of a drag but them's the breaks for sleep apnea.

Tried layering the Costco quilt but had not provided secure attachment points at the corner. Two things happened, the material is very slick and the under quilt moved, in this case, sliding under my feet at the footbox corner, creating a cap and serious cold. Not to mention what it did to the feet.

It also created a gap underneath the butt and that is never good. I hopped out in the frigid wind, and that was a total drag because fingertips started to hurt in minutes, pulled the costco quilt, readjusted under quilt and all was well for the rest of the night, mostly.

I didn't have my normal heel pad, was using a mini ZRest pad, which works in a pinch but it does have a tendency to slide a bit. So it did not stay in place either. Much prefer my 1/8" CCF pad in-between hammock layers or even one of Dutch's mini foam pads in the under quilt itself. That and the big tow of my outside foot in the footbox got off and on because it was pushed up against the hammock and compressing the down. I need a better footbox in my quilt.

Only other thing, I've been holding off sending in my HG Burrow for repairs (snaps torn, leaking down) and adding a sewn footbox. Well this trip convinced by to stop lollygagging. I want an overstuffed sewn footbox. Might even add a little down to the rest of the quilt because I do a lot of winter camping.

Had a great time.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    We reached approx 1º with heavy wind gust up to 25-30mph and steady wind at 10-15mph.

Old Man Winter by Wilderness Logics
    XLC with top cover from Warbonnet Outdoors
    0º Burrow, snaps, cinched, plugged, no overstuff from Hammock Gear
    20º Zeppelin from Underground Quilts
    UQP from 2QZQ
    Single lightweight base layer of compression synthetic cold weather gear, medium weight wool socks and a buff for the head.
    That must have left three or four more quilts in your truck!
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    That must have left three or four more quilts in your truck!
    Hah It did !! Enough gear for 3-4 people at all times.

I might be going for an overnight but I'm always prepped for a month long outing.

That's how we got through the last MAHHA and the storm, well that and the towel you were so generous to offer up.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Garage testing as I write this... 46degrees
    no tarp
    Dh sparrow
    Ugq Zeppelin 30
    Sleeping bag as tq
    Socks, sweats, and T-shirt (I usually sleep in much less when camping so this might get toasty)
    Will let ya know how it goes...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    pad for now
    Suspension
    strap and buckle
    lowest I have been with my setup is +17, HGUQ 20* = 2oz overstuff, Northface 32* sleeping bag used as a TQ. Mid weight fleece top and bottom, wool socks, hat and a neck gator. I'm sure I could have gone lower
    WBBB XLC 1.7DL
    OES MacCat
    Buckles and Straps

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345