Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by Captn View Post
    Can you be more specific on what was uncomfortable?

At least, what part of the hammock bothered you, shoulder area, feet area, not flat enough, and so on?

I just bought an Exped this year and it took me about 3 or 4 nights out before I got used to it.
    Thanks for the replies, what bother me the most is the feet area, where my left calf was touching the centre of the hammock and it is basically sitting higher than my body. I repositioned my feet a bit more to the right so I can lay straight (laying my body a bit more diagonal), however since my feet is still basically higher than the rest of my body, I ended up with quite a lot of tension.

Now I've made my home bridge hammock that I feel very comfortable in, maybe this is the way to go. My wife use this all the time now, I may have to make another one.
    I just want to give HH a try but could not figure out the best way to find a good position in it. I do not want to give up just yet.
    The HH set up videos on youtube weren't much help either.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by netbug View Post
    Thanks for the replies, what bother me the most is the feet area, where my left calf was touching the centre of the hammock and it is basically sitting higher than my body. I repositioned my feet a bit more to the right so I can lay straight (laying my body a bit more diagonal), however since my feet is still basically higher than the rest of my body, I ended up with quite a lot of tension.

Now I've made my home bridge hammock that I feel very comfortable in, maybe this is the way to go. My wife use this all the time now, I may have to make another one.
    I just want to give HH a try but could not figure out the best way to find a good position in it. I do not want to give up just yet.
    The HH set up videos on youtube weren't much help either.
    Well, it is hard to argue with the bridge hammock approach, nothing can match it IMO for not having any calf/center foot end ridge problems. This is a non-issue for my BMBH, and is at least a slight problem ( sometimes major problem) for every gathered end hammock I have tried. (Except maybe my huge HH Safari.) However, if that is the only problem you have, it should not be a deal breaker, just an inconvenience to be dealt with.

First, get some sort of stuff sack and put a jacket or something soft in it and put it under your knees. I have even used a rolled up ground pad that I carry for back up any way. For me, problem solved. This is not a bad idea with any hammock of any type.

Or use a leg pad. Especially if I use a self inflating pad, it usually completely solves the knee problem. Or do both pad and stuff sack. Any of these approaches solves the problem for me.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-14-2009 at 08:51.

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I bought a bridge hammock recently. Upon initially laying in it, I thought I was going to really enjoy it. I liked the lay. It just felt good. I definitely needed a pillow for my head, whereas my gathered end hammocks are comfortable without a pillow under my head. However, last night I slept in the bridge, and to my surprise I woke up with a sore back ... similar to what occurs when I sleep on the ground or a bed. I think the slight incline I'm able to achieve in my other hammocks is what keeps me 'pain free' through the night. I think I'll try some variations in the suspension to see if that makes a difference.
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by Hike4WD View Post
    I bought a bridge hammock recently. Upon initially laying in it, I thought I was going to really enjoy it. I liked the lay. It just felt good. I definitely needed a pillow for my head, whereas my gathered end hammocks are comfortable without a pillow under my head. However, last night I slept in the bridge, and to my surprise I woke up with a sore back ... similar to what occurs when I sleep on the ground or a bed. I think the slight incline I'm able to achieve in my other hammocks is what keeps me 'pain free' through the night. I think I'll try some variations in the suspension to see if that makes a difference.
    With my bridge hammock, I set the head end slightly higher, and use a small inflatable pillow. If I set it up level, I end up feeling seasick from the gentle rocking motion of the hammock and a stiff back.

Images
    I remember ONE night, after sleeping quite comfortably in my bridge, I was surprised to notice a slightly sore back upon waking up. But, that was only one night out of many. Also, I used a WM torso blue pad that night, which is something I have rarely done.

So, I have no idea what was up with that, if I was set up wrong, or the pad contributed, or if it was something related to the hammock itself. But I have experienced it only that one time. But I will continue "watching" for that, and even more so after these last 2 comments.

On a related note: on ONE occasion, again after a comfortable night, I woke up with my left arm "asleep" or numb, after a night in my WBBB. But that was just once. Why, I have no idea.

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    All I used was an UQ ... no pad. I think I'll try it again with the head raised as high as I can go without sliding to the end. I need to work out the bugs, because I really do like it. Then it will replace the parachute hammock in the bedroom!
    Dan
    W7DDM

I typically hand the tree huggers as high as i can reach and i'm 6'4", the opening int he hammock is still usually at chair height before i sit in it.

I just got a JRB bridge so i have to learn a whole new setup

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    I will try shortening the ridge line this afternoon hang it in my backyard.
    Has anyone got any idea on how much shorter?

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Before you shorten it, hang it with an increasingly slack ridgeline until you find the sweet spot. Then figure out how much you need to shorten it based on the excess slack.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123