Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

NJ>Batona Camp>12/13/16 Nice Weather Hang

It was cold! Fallkniven put up a bunch of tarps as windbreaks, but the wind still had its way.

Overnight low registered on my Accurite as 1* F, but the Accurites of a couple of other people were registering two degrees cooler. So we probably saw -1* F, with a -15* F windchill.

We had a ton of firewood - Ratdog brought his usual supply and Fallkniven brought plenty too. We even found a pallet and burned it (a Pines Barren tradition). We ate fresh kielbasa and sauerkraut for our first meal, then had a midnight snack of brats and Kielbasa. I don't think anybody went to bed before 2 am. Ratdog woke me up at dawn farting around with his Costco quilt. I took a leak and went back to bed. I had a 0* Incubator, with a 40* Phoenix underneath. On top, I had a 0* Burrow with a 40* Burrow stuffed inside and wore down booties. Fallkniven loaned me a wool blanket which I used as an overcover (I forgot my wool blanket). I had my Winter Palace battened down so the wind couldn't get to me. I was warm and toasty.

With no njredneck to wake us up, we slept till about 11 am. I made coffee, but only Krust and I are coffee drinkers. I attempted to cook bacon, but I'm all talk and no action. We never got around to making eggs with cheese and tortillas (maybe 'cause you guys relied on me to cook breakfast!). We didn't get out of Batona until around 1 pm.

On the way home, I turned my phone on. My wife called me to tell me the pipes froze at the house. Then the state police called me - my wife filed a missing persons report on me (which she, of course, didn't mention). The state police said that, with the Pine Barrens being 1.1 million acres, they had no idea where I was (I didn't tell my wife where I would be - I'm smart that way). I assured them I was okay.

Anyway, it was great to see Krust, Ratdog, Fallkniven and Brock Leigh out enjoying the weather. I ran my car for a couple of hours on Saturday night (great place to warm up), which annoyed everyone, especially Ratdog. Then in the morning, I cranked my Chevy Cobalt up again as a warming station. I think everyone was annoyed at me using my car as a warming station, but it felt good!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Maybe that explains the search and rescue teams that were out. There was a coordinator parked on the side of the road on that way out. Was going to stop but he looked busy.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    She said I was usually home by 1 pm, and when I didn't show up, she called the po-po. In her mind, I had obviously succumbed to the historically brutal conditions and she wanted them to find my body so she could collect the life insurance money. Oh well, maybe next time.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 02-14-2016 at 19:27.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    There was a traditional pallet sacrifice.
    uploadfromtaptalk1455492863179.jpg
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    As SS mentioned, I tried to layer a Costco quilt with my regular winter underquilt. Not only was it unnecessary, it was counter productive and had to be removed in the middle of the night.

Nothing like standing around in your skivvies when it's a wind chill of -15 or more to frustrate, annoy and freeze you.

Once the Costco was removed, my UGQ Zeppelin was more than warm enough. Note to self, sub zero temps, is not the time to experiment.

Slept soundly until 8-9AM when the rest of us got up, some earlier. We had to wait another couple hours for the would be breakfast provider to arise.

An executive decision was taken by those present, SS will never again be tasked with cooking an early meal. Fortunately there was plenty of pork roll.
    Last edited by Ratdog; 02-14-2016 at 19:26.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Wow! A trip report and pictures! You guys are awesome. Thanks..
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Great report!!! looks like a great time! i'm definitely saving up for some cold weather stuff. i realized i could have probably gotten away with some of my gear from the ground dwelling days. my exped, 15 degree bag and a liner in my draumr might have worked. maybe.... i think i should test it here in the yard first though. lol thanks for the report and i'm glad to hear there were no missing persons lol
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Images
    That was a lot of fun. SS gave me a few demerits. Also, SS is officially banned from being in charge of any type of meal. Ratdog was splitting firewood with his huge neck knife. Where's the photo of your monster next to our trackers?
    I had stacked my 0* and 20* uq's, and used my 3 wiggy's bags, a 50* 20* & 0* w/ no tarp. I was toasty warm in my skivvies.

Here's the shot's I was trying to get of the fire rocket I aimed in SS's face ( but we all know he loved it )

Images
    That's too friggin funny your wife called the police on you again. Weren't we just talking about that last night? Guess you'll need that chat with the new chief afterall!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast