DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap

Sewn through synthetic TQ?

Hey folks. I'm in the planning stages of a TQ that I'd like to make with Climashield. Would there be any major disadvantage to sewing through the quilt, like a sewn through down quilt? I realize there may be a reduced performance at the sewn lines. This will likely be a summer weight 2.5 for Florida mild weather.

I have made a couple CS projects so far and am struggling with the nylon being super baggy away from the Climashield. This next quilt I'd like to make the Florida flag and think it would look better if it was "tighter" to the insulation.

Thanks for any thoughts or input.

Rick.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    I think it will work just fine.
    There should be less of a reduction in performance if you sew thru the synth. ins.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    I don't see there would be anymore disadvantage to this than there is to sewn through down quilts, but that can still be a pretty big disadvantage.

I remember as a boy watching my mom make quilts with tied through yarn. This technique actually transfers very well to making a CS quilt that is not compressed. I'll try to describe it and hopefully it will make sense without pictures (not sure why I never took any of the quilt I made).

Basically, I ran rows of thread about 6 inches apart with a pass-through about every foot. I am sure there is a sewing term for what I called a pass-through, but it is just pushing the needle all the way through the fabric, grabbing a small byte (1/8" or so), pushing it back up through. You end up with a line of thread across the quilt with a slight gap where you passed in through every foot. Alternating lines should be staggard so that 4 pass-thoughs form a diamond a foot high and a foot across.

Then you cut the thread in between each pass-through. Be very careful at this point not to move the quilt around too much and pull the thread out. I do a single line at a time.

Then using a dowel or something with twice the circumference of the loft you want, tie the two ends of the string around the dowel with a good square knot. For example, a 1" dowel has a circumference of ~3.14 inches so would yield approximately 1.5" of loft. You can hit the knot with a touch of glue if you are concerned about the knot coming out. Trim the extra thread off the ends of the knot.

The end result is that you have non-compressed CS, but the outer shell is held at a fixed distance so the CS can not sag away from the quilt.

Hope that makes sense.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    If you make a sewn through synthetic go for primaloft gold as it's lighter, warmer and more compressible that climashield. I do like my primaloft quilts and have made several sewn through but don't really see much benefit to sewing a climashield one
    Success doesn't come to you, you go to it.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    I don't see there would be anymore disadvantage to this than there is to sewn through down quilts, but that can still be a pretty big disadvantage.

I remember as a boy watching my mom make quilts with tied through yarn. This technique actually transfers very well to making a CS quilt that is not compressed. I'll try to describe it and hopefully it will make sense without pictures (not sure why I never took any of the quilt I made).

Basically, I ran rows of thread about 6 inches apart with a pass-through about every foot. I am sure there is a sewing term for what I called a pass-through, but it is just pushing the needle all the way through the fabric, grabbing a small byte (1/8" or so), pushing it back up through. You end up with a line of thread across the quilt with a slight gap where you passed in through every foot. Alternating lines should be staggard so that 4 pass-thoughs form a diamond a foot high and a foot across.

Then you cut the thread in between each pass-through. Be very careful at this point not to move the quilt around too much and pull the thread out. I do a single line at a time.

Then using a dowel or something with twice the circumference of the loft you want, tie the two ends of the string around the dowel with a good square knot. For example, a 1" dowel has a circumference of ~3.14 inches so would yield approximately 1.5" of loft. You can hit the knot with a touch of glue if you are concerned about the knot coming out. Trim the extra thread off the ends of the knot.

The end result is that you have non-compressed CS, but the outer shell is held at a fixed distance so the CS can not sag away from the quilt.

Hope that makes sense.
    I had considered doing this style of "Quilting" but I think it made exceed my skill and patience level at the moment. I also haven't figured if I am going to sew the design of the flag or just purchase a flag and sew it onto the quilt. That may determine how I go.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Q-Instructions

Scroll down to part 6 or 7 and see the easy quilting loops. A piece of cardboard and a string.
    Not hard at all.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Thanks G!!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Q-Instructions

Scroll down to part 6 or 7 and see the easy quilting loops. A piece of cardboard and a string.
    Not hard at all.
    Ya. Quilting loops are your answer. They're not needed in apex, but with your personal concerns they will fix the issue. They are needed on primaloft products to stabilize the insulation. Properly done they don't cause the issues of sewn thru cold spots.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    I may wind up just running some lines for the experience. This will be a warmer weather quilt so I'm not overly concerned if there is a little reduction in R value. I thought maybe it would work out like a poncho liner.

Thanks for all the interaction folks!

• + New Posts