Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.

Stand By On Use Of The Cleats!

Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post
    I tried out these cleats this weekend on a Hennessy Hyperlight and my friend tried them on his Asym Deluxe. Neither of us hit the ground and I didn't have to fiddle with it at all. Worked well. Thanks for the tip and for all the testing. Knowing to tie a knot at the end to keep the cleat from twisting out helped as well.

I was reluctant to modify my hammock to use the rings. This is an easy, cheap, and effective substitute.

I'll be picking up a second set for my daughter's hammock.

FreeTheWeasel

Hold everything!!!

I just spent three nites in my HH using the cleats... I did undo them ant tighten up my hang over the weekend but didnt notice anything at the time...

When I went to take everything down this morning... I noticed that one of the cleats' arms had bent ever so slightly! This occurred on both of the units.

Now here's what I need to know from you folks...

What is the diameter of the line that extends from a HH Desert Rat? (no, I have no idea about this stuff or where to find the info!)

The cleat packaging states "up to 3/8 inch diameter."

Have I over extended the cleats capacity?

I am so bummed about this. Hmmm Guess I'll have to start looking back into that ring buckle thing...
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ALHikerGal View Post
    When I went to take everything down this morning... I noticed that one of the cleats' arms had bent ever so slightly! This occurred on both of the units.
    Which cleat - one of the inside cleats or one of the end cleats? Did you notice if the cleat was closer to the hammock or further away from the hammock?
    [QUOTE=ALHikerGal;18601]What is the diameter of the line that extends from a HH Desert Rat? (no, I have no idea about this stuff or where to find the info!)/QUOTE]

Just lay the line on a ruler and measure the diameter.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Could you post a picture of the bent cleats?

By the time I realized what had happened, I had already removed the cleat entirely from the line, so I cant tell you if it was tree side or hammock side.

The bent one was an inner cleat, not an end.

I have pics, not at home at the moment (using HolidayInn wifi! while "working")

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I am so bummed about this. Hmmm Guess I'll have to start looking back into that ring buckle thing...
    If you abadon the cleats, and still don't like the ring buckles, then be sure to take a look at the crazy creek type buckles. After some tinkering, I think that it is actually a better solution than the rings. I have tied mine on differently than Just Jeff's page suggests, though, and use the method shown in BlackBishop351's pictures.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hmmmmm

Been thinking about this all afternoon (working, but bored to tears)

A product/part that works on the same idea of a bracket that raises/lowers mini blinds...

You pull it in one direction and it locks the cord in place. You pull it in the opposite direction and it releases the cord...

First, is there such a creature? Maybe in the climbing/caving venue? Second, would something like that really work? Physics? Costs? Weights?

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Hmmmmm

A product/part that works on the same idea of a bracket that raises/lowers mini blinds...

You pull it in one direction and it locks the cord in place. You pull it in the opposite direction and it releases the cord...

First, is there such a creature? Maybe in the climbing/caving venue? Second, would something like that really work? Physics? Costs? Weights?
    All these ideas are simple friction systems just like knots and lashings. The tradeoff with using hardware for the job (from what I can tell anyway) is speed/ease versus wear and tear. Hardware tends to be quicker and easier, but because of its rigidity, also tends to have more possibility for destroying cord or webbing or whatever.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

Desert Rat Cord

Hold everything!!!

Now here's what I need to know from you folks...

What is the diameter of the line that extends from a HH Desert Rat? (no, I have no idea about this stuff or where to find the info!)
    I measured the cord diameter on my Desert Rat. 1/4".

This cord is remarkly stiff, it's not your mother's Spectra. The core is like melted polyester. In the attached picture, the end of the rope is holding itself up like a cobra. The cord on my Explorer Ultralight is similar (it can do stand-up comedy also), but thinner I think, and consequently bends more easily.

It seems plausible to me that the stiffness could put more stress on the cleats, but will leave that to the engineers to puzzle out.

Grizz
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 06-12-2007 at 00:33.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hmmmmm

That is the idea of the cam buckles used with webbing. I used those before the ring buckles. Two problems with them: They have low ratings and they do grip the webbing very hard, with pointed teeth which tend to wear the webbing.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Why not try using one of their chrome-plated cleats or die-cast zinc cleats?
    Should be much stronger than the nylon. Wonder what they weight?
    www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0001551018030a.shtml
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast