Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Why not try using one of their chrome-plated cleats or die-cast zinc cleats?
    Should be much stronger than the nylon. Wonder what they weight?
    www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0001551018030a.shtml
    While I dont know their exact weights, I did hold them in the store and balanced them "like a scale" in my hands...the metal cleats are monsterously heavy compared to the nylon...
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yesterday I found a weight for one vender's zinc zig zag cleat - 8 oz. 1 lb for the pair needed for the hammock.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I figure you all have probably looked at and dismissed this, but just to make sure, the garda knot or hitch requires two biners, but its very solid for tensioning a hammock suspension rope and can be released easily.

http://www.chockstone.org/TechTips/GardaHitch.htm

Downside is the weight of two biners but they are making them lighter and lighter every year. I rock climb so I already have bunches of biners, so I use this for the HH and it works fine (cant get a taughtline or prussick to not slip on the HH rope), but I know this is probably not palatable for the UL crowd.

Just bringing it up cause I tried to go lighter this past weekend and use this nylon rope cleat thing I found at Lowes, rated for 200 lbs ( I weigh 210 - what was I thinking? . It didn't slip but broke in half after about 5 minutes. I pitched over soft grass in the backyard but got that head slap thing, headache for a couple hours , so I'm back to the biners (or the crazy creek thing for webbing on the speer)

Just thought I'd mention it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post
    I figure you all have probably looked at and dismissed this, but just to make sure, the garda knot or hitch requires two biners, but its very solid for tensioning a hammock suspension rope and can be released easily.

Downside is the weight of two biners but they are making them lighter and lighter every year. I rock climb so I already have bunches of biners, so I use this for the HH and it works fine (cant get a taughtline or prussick to not slip on the HH rope), but I know this is probably not palatable for the UL crowd.

Just bringing it up cause I tried to go lighter this past weekend and use this nylon rope cleat thing I found at Lowes, rated for 200 lbs ( I weigh 210 - what was I thinking? . It didn't slip but broke in half after about 5 minutes. I pitched over soft grass in the backyard but got that head slap thing, headache for a couple hours , so I'm back to the biners (or the crazy creek thing for webbing on the speer)

I never thought of this. I will have to try it.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Did some research on the Garda Knot. There is whole paper on the net dedicated to tying a release system for the knot here.

Using a structural ridge line, such as on the Hennessy hammock, and pulling tight, then it would seem that there could a real problem releasing the knot after getting up in the morning.

Do you have any troubler releasing the knot? Especially when it has been pulled tight?

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I have a HH Explorer UL, I've had no problems releasing the garda. It actually seems tighter right after you tension it, after I lay in the hammock awhile, its even easier to release. I'd say it would be tough (nearly impossible) to release with someone in the hammock though, just like when its loaded with someones weight when climbing.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I have a HH Explorer UL, I've had no problems releasing the garda. It actually seems tighter right after you tension it, after I lay in the hammock awhile, its even easier to release. I'd say it would be tough (nearly impossible) to release with someone in the hammock though, just like when its loaded with someones weight when climbing.
    Your Avatar really scares me.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Your Avatar really scares me.

Well speaking of scary avatars, a bear in your hammock could be a little nerve wracking also, for most folks!

Images
    So, it sounds like the rope cleat has failed testing? What with bending and breaking?

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So, it sounds like the rope cleat has failed testing? What with bending and breaking?
    I have still not taken photos... but the cleat only bent at the base of one of the tines, it did not break. Then again, I was only in it 3 nights, I have no idea if I was in it any longer if it would have broken...
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast