JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    I think the zig zag cleats are good.

The cleats are slightly heavier than the rings, but (there's always a but) you can use the spectra, or some other line, and less webbing. Webbing is heavier than the 1/8" spectra and the spectra equals most webbing for strength. Well the 1" webbing from Strapworks is much stronger, but also much, much heavier. For a given strength, the 1/8" spectra rope is lighter than webbing. Even 1/4" spectra is probably lighter than webbing. So from a weight perspective, the cleats with spectra may be about the same or slightly lighter than rings with equal strength webbing. I would still use the polyester webbing for tree huggers instead of the nylon that Hennessy supplies. The convenience of a biner with the webbing as used with the rings can still be obtained with the cleats - just clip the biner to loops on the ends of the tree huggers instead of threading the spectra through, then clip the spectra in the biner. No threading - quick setup and take down.

For convenience, the rings and the cleats may be about equal. Although the cleats may actually win given the trouble people have had with slipping rings, myself included. ALHikerGal hasn't had any trouble with slippage and if the cleats had a history of slippage, they wouldn't be used in the marine industry. So that speaks volumes about their no-slip feature.

With the rings you have to be more careful in setup with the knot used to attach the rings. You have to be more careful in the alignment of the webbing through the rings - very careful and/or else always tie a half hitch (slipped or not) after the rings.

The cleats would appear to be more convenient than the rings in that respect: run through the zig zag, to the tree huggers, clip in the biner, back to the zig zag, pull tight and through the zig zag. You don't have any concern about attaching the cleat to the rope, no concern about aligning the rope before and after. The use of the cleat itself is obvious and simple. Their use in the hammock suspension, like everything else, is obvious in hindsight. It just takes someone like ALHikerGal with the great idea then it becomes obvious.

The number of parts to keep track of may be the same in each case depending on how each is used.

For beginners, I would think the cleats are probably simpler than the rings. No concern about how to attach the cleats as with the rings, which knot holds best or at all, etc . No concern about getting the webbing aligned and tying a slipped half hitch (well I would probably use the slipped half hitch with the cleats also). If the hammock was supplied with rope instead of webbing as the suspension, then the cleats would definitely be simpler for a beginner IMO.

Very interesting post. A good friend just got a Hennessy Explorer Ultralight and I might suggest the cleats to him and see how it works for him. Not sure he would be into cutting his rope for the ring/buckles system. The one drawback I see in your idea is the limitation of the tree huggers as far as fitting around certain size trees. Bigger tree huggers perhaps or make your own polyester
    webbing tree huggers as you suggested. Not near as sweet as just wrapping the webbing around the tree and clipping the biner like the ring/buckle system. Might prevent some bruised bums though.
    www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0001551018030a.shtml
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 06-04-2007 at 18:39.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts