Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WBBB BMJ
    Insulation
    AHE LR, Enlightene

Superior Hiking Trail

I've been living in Minnesota for a year and a half now and i'm ready to start hiking the SHT. I bought the book and I can't decide on what section to start hiking. I'm looking for recommendations based on some of you guys that spend a lot of time hiking this trail.

What's are some good winter, spring, summer, and fall sections? What are some of the camps that you guys enjoy?

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Well the whole trail is pretty amazing so depends on what you are looking for. The trail has been getting a bit busy which a huge surge of interest in the past season so I've been hiking more on the northern end. I just setup my wife and I's spring trip to start at Judge Magney and end at Oberg Mountain to make sure we get some solitude. I maintain the section between Crosby Manitou and Caribou Wayside as this is one of my favorite sections as it also gets fairly remote. Most of the parts of the trail that cut through the state parks will include generally some pretty amazing waterfalls and river walks. I could go on and on but probably the easiest thing to do is check out Shug's you tube page and also Fronkey's. They have both logged video of large sections of the trail. You could get a taste of different sections in different parts of the season first hand. The Superior Hiking Trail group on Facebook is actually a good way to get input from a lot of people and keep up to date on conditions, a lot of regular hikers post there. I know, it's a rare thing, but yea an facebook page that is actually helpful. There use to be a lot of activity on the superior trail hikers email group on yahoo but most of the members moved over to using Facebook. The official SHT facebook page will help as well as most of the associations staff will post directly.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    I'm sure you've seen HF member Fronkey's videos on his thru-hike, but they're so good, they bear mentioning in any conversation about the Superior Hiking Trail. Best of luck on your thru-hike!

"Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phx. & EE Rev.
    Suspension
    Whoopies & toggles
    You could do what my goal for the summer is, and hike the whole thing, albeit incrementally. I figure I could do it in 8 weekends/long weekends.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WBBB BMJ
    Insulation
    AHE LR, Enlightene
    thanks for the input alifeoutdoors. I've been watching Shugs videos for quite a few years…truth be told, it's one of the reasons I even looked at Minnesota when searching for a new job

I love the areas that he has showcased but I like all of the areas I have seen from him which makes it hard to just pick an area and go with it. I suppose that's probably what I will end up having to do anyway though. I'll check out the facebook site (even though I have sworn off Facebook lol)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WBBB BMJ
    Insulation
    AHE LR, Enlightene
    Pipsissewa, I also love to watch Fronkey's vids. Again, he doesn't make it easy to settle in on which section should be my first lol. I don't currently have plans for a thru hike; however, i would love to try it one day if work would just cooperate! lol

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WBBB BMJ
    Insulation
    AHE LR, Enlightene
    Quote Originally Posted by ddols View Post
    You could do what my goal for the summer is, and hike the whole thing, albeit incrementally. I figure I could do it in 8 weekends/long weekends.

I'm going to have to see how much of my summer I can gain back from my employer this year. I really wanted to do some sections last year but ended up working the entire summer on a schedule that gave me 1 day off every week. I hope this summer is different. who knows, maybe i'll run into you and alifeoutdoors up there somewhere.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    You never know, I spend most of spring, summer, fall on the trail, either on the SHT, the NCT here in Wisconsin or up in the BWCA. Sorry yea I didn't see your join date you've been around for awhile. If I was to just say straight up try this for a 3 day 2 night beginner trip with lots of challenge and easy hiking, views, solitude and beautiful trail, start at Crosby Manitou and hike north to Temperance River State Park. That would just be off the top of my head but its a good time.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    ... views, solitude and beautiful trail, start at Crosby Manitou and hike north...
    I'm planning a southbound ten-day hike in September. Any advantages in hiking north vs south?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast