Hammock
    Dutchware PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Tarp is just a bit too short. Easy/cheap solution?

For a while I was using a humongous Kelty Noah tarp and an ENO double nest. Then I started shaving some weight here and there. I switched out the tarp for a Warbonnet Mamajamba, and that combined with the ENO to me through some pretty awful weather.

Now I'm in an 11' PolyD. It's from Dutch's first batch, so it's been around for a few years. However it's on a 110" fixed ridgeline. I've been lucky so far, but under a 120" tarp it's a little long.

I'd rather not replace the tarp, and certainly don't want to add doors. Should I try a 10' hammock? I'm 6' 1". Are there any other solutions?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jowee View Post
    For a while I was using a humongous Kelty Noah tarp and an ENO double nest. Then I started shaving some weight here and there. I switched out the tarp for a Warbonnet Mamajamba, and that combined with the ENO to me through some pretty awful weather.

Now I'm in an 11' PolyD. It's from Dutch's first batch, so it's been around for a few years. However it's on a 110" fixed ridgeline. I've been lucky so far, but under a 120" tarp it's a little long.

I'd rather not replace the tarp, and certainly don't want to add doors. Should I try a 10' hammock? I'm 6' 1". Are there any other solutions?
    Did you buy a custom 120" long Mamajamba? I didn't even know Brandon did custom work. The standard Mamajamba has a 132 inch ridgeline which should be fine for an 11 ft. hammock.

It's possible that Warbonnet at one time sold a 120" Mamajamba - I just don't remember it. I was surprised to learn that the Warbonnet Edge was at one time 120" but now he only sells it with 132" ridgeline.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    With about 6 inches of space on each side, you have to center the tarp just right and still have ok coverage. In bad weather you would have to close the ends and pull the center of the tarp so it's still doable.

To help with your question, you can get Grizz Beaks to close off the ends. This is akin to having doors.

You can use your poncho on the side it's raining or windy to close this area only.

You can get a quilt protector to keep the bottom of hammock dry or wind free.

You can sell the tarp and get a longer tarp.

You can sell the hammock and get a 6" shorter hammock.

There are plenty of things you can do. Work with what you have or get different gear. Some less expensive than others and some take longer than others.

I would sew loops on the bottom of the tarp about 1 1/2 to 2 feet from the ends. Then if needed, I could pitch the tarp tight and close the ends if needed. This costs nothing with existing materials and adds very little weight penalty.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Can you sew? Have you tried an 10 foot hammock? You could shorten you Dutch hammock by sewing a new end channel on one end or if you can't /don't want to cut down the hammock you could probably shorten each end a couple of inches by whipping the ends.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Probably the simplest thing to do is to tie a knot in one end of the hammock to shorten to your desired length. Larks head the CL just below the knot. I did this last weekend just for comparison purposes. I have no idea how this works out long term but I would expect it's ok.

<edit>Just realized I didn't fully read the post just above </edit>

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    I'm 6'3" and use 10' Grand Trunk Double and so far so good, don't plan to switch to any longer ones

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    You could add wings

2014-11-28 12.54.53.jpg
    Tacblades

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I've used 'Peak Beaks'. You can make them out of anything waterproof (like heavy duty trash bags) Mine are tyvek as another example.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...cro-Peak-Beaks
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Plenty of us use the MambaJamba or equivalent length tarp with 11' hammocks. Not saying your concern isn't valid, just pointing out that it is a fairly normal setup

When I'm in storm mode in the MambaJamba, I keep the hammock close to the tarp. If you have a big gap, you will feel exposed.

The two choices that I would entertain if you feel like you need to do something is getting a beak for the end the weather/wind is coming from or selling the tarp and going to the Superfly (same length but the doors close things off) or getting a 12' tarp.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Plenty of us use the MambaJamba or equivalent length tarp with 11' hammocks. Not saying your concern isn't valid, just pointing out that it is a fairly normal setup

When I'm in storm mode in the MambaJamba, I keep the hammock close to the tarp. If you have a big gap, you will feel exposed.
    Do you know if they ever made a 10 ft. long Mamajamba? OP is saying that his Mamajamba has a 10 ft. ridgeline, but the website lists it as 132" ridgeline (11 ft.), which should be sufficient coverage for an 11 ft. hammock.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast