Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Methods for gathering hammock ends...

I tried Jeff's "W" Whipping last night and noticed it wasn't all that comfortable. I believe this is due to some confusion on his web page...

When using the "W" method the edges and the middle of the hammock on both pulled out to remove slack, at least that is what I did. Should I have left the middle of the "W" short and just pull the edges up several inches?

Besides the two methods shown on Jeff's page, are there other methods for gathering the ends of the hammock? I think I saw somewhere some means of folding the ends rather than "gathering" the ends. Which methods are "better" and "why"?

Thanks,

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I've actually got a huge pile of extra 1.7ish ripstop that isn't going to be used in any gear any time soon, and was thinking about throwing together a lounger hammock....

What I'd really like to do is a Warbonnet style whipping. I guess that means I have to figure out how the Warbonnet style whipping is done

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    That's fairly simple.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142 View Post
    I tried Jeff's "W" Whipping last night and noticed it wasn't all that comfortable. I believe this is due to some confusion on his web page...

When using the "W" method the edges and the middle of the hammock on both pulled out to remove slack, at least that is what I did. Should I have left the middle of the "W" short and just pull the edges up several inches?

Besides the two methods shown on Jeff's page, are there other methods for gathering the ends of the hammock? I think I saw somewhere some means of folding the ends rather than "gathering" the ends. Which methods are "better" and "why"?
    Thanks,
    you a Ford or a Chevy man?
    bad attempt at a joke...seriously, gathering/whipping is an individual thing. Every manufacturer does it a little differend with different results. Some people can tell a difference, others can't...this is a BIG topic.
    gathering/whipping methods off the top of my head...

*knot ~ speer
    *gathered ~ DIY fav ("w" or variations where you don't pull the middle, or gather even)
    *folded ~ HH (same types as gathered)
    *whipping mass ~ Warbonnet
    *end channel ~ Claytor, DD, others

There is no way to pick one of these for you...some people hate the sides of the hammock tight (w), some hate the side loose, etc.
    The good news is the most of these are not permanent...you can set up each one and try to see what you like

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142 View Post

Thanks,
    Personally, I like the HH method of folding. It just seems to create a better foot pocket than the gathered or channeled ends for me. You can find instructions Here. I found that 5 folds from each end to the center are just right for me.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    From tightest to most loose side of gathering/whipping method? Would the order change with angle of lay?
    Noel V.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I did the "w" and its easy, but dont pull out the middle as mentioned. Also for the first few times, I did the whipping with a large rubberband, wrapped it around my fabric bundle. Then ran out to test hang..if I didn't like it,it was easy to undo. I just larksheaded the suspension lines to the ends, pulled tight, and hung the hammock. I've actually left a few with just a rubberband on and they are still hanging fine. No need for whipping, IMO.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    TTTM King Size
    Tarp
    Camo Diamond Fly
    Suspension
    Webbing + rings
    I tried the "Asymmetrical Whipping" as shown here
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1846
    I like it for my single TTTM, less squeeze for me.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    FWIW, I didn't pull out the middle of the W when I used that method. The only homemade one I'm currently using is the DownHammock and it's not W whipped. I did notice that the W whipping was comfortable with some types of material not not with others, too.

But it's an individual thing...either it works for you or it doesn't.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    I tried the "W" style on my Speer. I pulled out the center, and it left a bad uncomfortable ridge right in my calf. I redid it with the Warbonnet style and it really made a difference for me. I went from hating to loving this hammock!
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast