Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Building a hammock in a tinny home!

I tried building a bridge hammock a few years ago, I had access to lots of clean floor space and was able to get a lot done. However The worst part was not getting the fabric cut just right. Now I'm in a tinny home <400sqft and need to find a way to get fabric cut for me. Does any one know where I can send plans for fabric to be cut and have it CNC cut and sent back?

I will be building a bridge hammock for sub zero conditions. (-20F) so I will need a heavy under and top quilt, a top trap to keep the wind out and plenty of other parts.... Im working on the drawings now. Weight isn't so much of a concern as I will be packing this in on a snowmobile (snowbike to be specific) Im using this for doing SAR mission and working on cold weather survival.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDieselTwitch View Post
    Now I'm in a tinny home
    Have you tried earplugs, or wall insuation?
    ... OK, sorry, not helping much am I?

Hammock
    6x12 1.6oz Hyper D
    Tarp
    DIY Membrane 9x9
    Suspension
    Straps + Evenk
    Images
    I lived in ~350 sq ft place with my wife for almost three years. So I know how you feel to an extent.

I have no idea where to send fabric to be cnc cut. I've always just marked it myself, and cut it. Right now I live in ~900 sq ft, and still have to move furniture around if I want to mark and cut something. However, I found it easier to just find a larger space to use to cut things. I cut the material for my top quilt at my church. I've also marked things out in driveways, or other pavement before (laying out a tarp can help in those situations).

You also may be able to mark things in chunks/pieces, depending on what you're doing. If your measurements and angles are well thought out, I believe you may be able to get more marked out and cut than you might think.

Anyway, maybe that's not much help. But its what has worked for me.

Good luck .
    Last edited by ocnlogan; 02-23-2016 at 14:00.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    CNC??
    You really think we CNC our projects? To my knowledge, no one has a CNC fabric cutter.

Where there is a will, there is a way.
    Don't let your small home limit your creativity.

Your fabric can be folded and cut to allow symmetry.
    A wall can be used instead of floor space.
    On a non windy day, you can do the layout outdoors.
    Use a family, friends, or workplace floor or table.

Fronkey did a video on building a tarp in a limited space.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Forget CNC! That's for metal and wood, etc. Take your fabric to an upholsterer, seamstress or tailor. But, that's not very DIY. At that point, you might as well buy a hammock from one of the many great cottage vendors.

On another note, I've always wondered if anyone who lives in a tiny house uses a hammock as a space saver... . Good luck!!!!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Try locating a picnic pavilion (with a smooth concrete floor) in a park with a concrete floor, then set up cutting camp there to get the material cut out and pinned together.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Church, community center, school, or library. All of these places will have some floor space or big tables you can use. Maybe whip up some basic hammocks & donate them to the church's youth group or scouts in exchange for using their space for your projects. Use space at a school in exchange for showing the students how you're making your gear and how you will use it in the outdoors. Lots of ways to get your projects done and give back to your community at the same time.
    Last edited by cataraftgirl; 02-23-2016 at 13:22.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Is there a reason to not just buy the hammock you want? Seems like a huge hassle trying to lay out, cut and sew in the small house. It's going to be costly to send it out and have made. If there is a specific design maybe one of the cottage guys will build to your spec?

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 hyperD XL DL
    Tarp
    GT Funky Forest
    Insulation
    1/8 ccf pad
    Suspension
    1/8 amsteel
    As others have stated it is possible just is a hassle and takes longer. I spent 6 hours including dinner and some smoke breaks cutting pinning and sewing my second diy hammock. I still have to fold and stich the last end channel tonight. So the bigger it is more hassles.
    It is the biggest I have done 12' x 72", and I did it all in 10 foot by 3 foot of clean usable space. I had 2 feet of space for me to move along the edges to cut and pin. I made my first hammock for my 6 year old daughter 9'x68" in about 4 hours in the same space start to finish,including whoopies and a test hang.

Yes they both took my a long time compared to others but it is my first hammock builds and first time for me using a thread injector.

People keep asking why the OP doesn't just buy one, Well because the material only cost 65 bucks but a double layer 12 foot long in my case costs like $200!
    I bought an injector and material for same price as 1 hammock and made 2 so far with more to come I'm sure.
    But I haven't built a bridge yet.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Ringcutter View Post
    As others have stated it is possible just is a hassle and takes longer. I spent 6 hours including dinner and some smoke breaks cutting pinning and sewing my second diy hammock. I still have to fold and stich the last end channel tonight. So the bigger it is more hassles.
    It is the biggest I have done 12' x 72", and I did it all in 10 foot by 3 foot of clean usable space. I had 2 feet of space for me to move along the edges to cut and pin. I made my first hammock for my 6 year old daughter 9'x68" in about 4 hours in the same space start to finish,including whoopies and a test hang.

Yes they both took my a long time compared to others but it is my first hammock builds and first time for me using a thread injector.

People keep asking why the OP doesn't just buy one, Well because the material only cost 65 bucks but a double layer 12 foot long in my case costs like $200!
    I bought an injector and material for same price as 1 hammock and made 2 so far with more to come I'm sure.
    But I haven't built a bridge yet.
    my suggestion to just buy one was due to sending it out and have things cut and then returned to you. That can't be cheap. Clearly doing it yourself is a savings but that is only if you actually do it all yourself.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast