Hammock
    DW 11' Hexon 1.6 Olive Green
    Tarp
    YO Walkabout Tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag w/Pad
    Suspension
    DW Whoopie Slings
    Dream Hammock has an online calculator at http://www.dream-hammock.com/HammockCalculator.html. You can also check out this graphic they have at http://www.dream-hammock.com/ComfortRating.html on material:

It's all kind of specific to their products, but it should give you at least a general feeling for materials and their weight carrying capabilities. They also have Rope and Down calculators for anyone interested.

Hammock
    Bonefire whisper/Airship
    Tarp
    Airship
    Insulation
    WB Yeti//HG TQ
    Suspension
    All in one
    Images
    anithuman81 Are you trying to go cheap before you make the plunge? if so then ENO makes an XL Hammock that's rated to 400 lbs. You can pick it up for less than 100 dollars. I have owned and still own an ENO hammock .It is very comfortable, it just weighs a little more than I want it to. That being said you can still detach a few things on it to make it lighter, if your into that sort of thing. I haven't had any experince with the hammocks at Costco or Sams Club. In my personal experince and as far as comfort is concerned ENO is the cheapeast way to go for comfort and for the weight rating you need. I'm sure other people have had experince with other cheaper hammocks that might be just has comfortable. I can only tell you of my personal experince. My first hammock was a Lawson Bridge Hammock and after a few nights in it I decided Hammock camping wasn't for me. I loved the idea of hammock camping so I decided to give it another shot and bought an ENO. Glad I did.

Edit: I did just see that you are 6'2 so that could be an issue as I'm only 5'8. Maybe try and 11 foot double layer hammock from Dutch. I would be willing to send you my ENO to try it out if you want? send me a PM with your address if you are interested.
    Last edited by Jaxx; 02-24-2016 at 09:17.
    Don't be scared ,it's just a beard.

My youtube videos on Hiking ,Camping & Cooking

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    You probably won't like it because it's short for hammocks and you are quite tall for humans. Consider buying some materials and sewing your own hammock? It shouldn't be a difficult task for someone knowing how to sew.

Edit: I just checked Dutch's site and a 11ft single-layer hammock made with whatever sturdy material you want came to $38. Not "over a hundred".
    Last edited by BrRabbit; 02-24-2016 at 10:11.

Quote Originally Posted by LBSurfer View Post
    Dream Hammock has an online calculator at http://www.dream-hammock.com/HammockCalculator.html. You can also check out this graphic they have at http://www.dream-hammock.com/ComfortRating.html on material:

It's all kind of specific to their products, but it should give you at least a general feeling for materials and their weight carrying capabilities. They also have Rope and Down calculators for anyone interested.

Awesome info!

Quote Originally Posted by BrRabbit View Post
    You probably won't like it because it's short for hammocks and you are quite tall for humans. Consider buying some materials and sewing your own hammock? It shouldn't be a difficult task for someone knowing how to sew.

Edit: I just checked Dutch's site and a 11ft single-layer hammock made with whatever sturdy material you want came to $38. Not "over a hundred".
    Being 345lbs I can't get away with a single layer hammock though. The Dutch with double layer, knotty mods, ridgeline and suspension is $130.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Buy a good rig and you'll be hooked and a hanger for life. Drop the 30 bucks on the cheapo that's too short and you'll toss and turn trying to get comfortable (if it doesn't drop you on the ground). The last we'll hear of you is a short post cursing us all and telling us "hammocks suck".

Hammock
    DW 11' Hexon 1.6 Olive Green
    Tarp
    YO Walkabout Tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag w/Pad
    Suspension
    DW Whoopie Slings
    I'm still new to this whole thing but the one piece of advice I can give you about buying your first hammock is contact the sellers directly. Dutch and the guys at AHE responded personally to my inquiries and were quite helpful. Neither was looking to push their most expensive stuff but, rather, make sure I got what I needed for my cost and situational budgets. Also, I'm 6'2", 250lbs so I feel your pain on being a big guy and not knowing what to get.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Also keep in mind that this chart is for regular ripstop nylon. Not specialty nylon with different weaves like hexon, or HyperD. Those fabrics can support much more weight comfortably at the same oz per sq yrd
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Eno DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Hennessy 10x12 Hex
    Insulation
    Yukon O. Kindle UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I picked this up tonight. It's a decent hammock at a great price. Its along the lines of my Eno or Yukon double hammocks.

It comes with heavy suspension, large ropes connected to heavy duty carabiners. The tree straps (which are included) are heavy duty and come with an easy to use, super adjustable, buckles (the kind with the gripping teeth).

As is, I'd say this is a great backyard, hanging out hammock. At 9ft 10 inches, some people may not like the lay and will want something longer. Shorter hammocks are all I've been in, so they seem good to me, but would need to be lightened up to be used for a camping hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    For the cost you can't beat this hammock especially for someone just getting started that doesn't want to spend a wad finding out if they like this hobby. While they are a bit heavy it's not THAT heavy that you couldn't pack this in and use it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast