SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tree Frog View Post
    I don't want to go to ground. What does everyone bring in terms of emergency gear repair or extra bling, lines, etc for the just in case scenario?
    I always pack an extra set of short tree straps with a pair of speed hooks on amsteel. Doesn't take up hardly any space or weigh much. Good insurance in case of a suspension failure. I've never actually HAD a suspension failure, but once I did open my hammock out in the middle of nowhere to discover its dedicated straps were still at home, two states away. Saved by my backup speed hooks!

I also have a couple of short lengths of dyneema with a loop on one end and a tiny titanium Dutch hook on the other end that always dangles off my pack. Handy for lengthening my tarp ridgeline or making an impromptu dog leash clip, etc. I suppose it would even do in case of a continuous loop failure, though I've never had one of those. I have often needed just an extra 6-12 inches for my ridgeline though and that takes care of it!

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    My tenkara fly rod. A pillow and only the required stuff food water shelter. The rest I can go with out. I spent to long in the army to bring much extra.
    In the shadows

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Must bring? Hammock, tarp, food, and H2O and insulation.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' Hexon1.6 burntcoyote
    Tarp
    DIY ASYM
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ/CDT
    Suspension
    Dyno-Poly Beetles
    I tend to make sure I have my cooking oils, spices, herbs, and pots (lightweight, of course) to make a good meal. Cooking is comfort for me. A stool, to cook comfortably, helps too. Probably wouldn't bring the stool if I was going more than 2 or 3 nights. The food has got to be good, though.

I have a friend who's must bring is a small cast iron skillet to cook his eggs and bacon on. Personally, I say 'eggs in a bag, bacon on a stick'.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    If the gear its self holds up (hammock, tarp, etc) you should be fine; if the suspensions fail you in anyway, you're in for a hard night. I like to have multiple extra amsteel dogbones of varying lengths and an extra set of tree straps (the short kind with eyes sewn on both ends) that way if any part of my setup's suspension fails i can jerry-rig it to hold out until its time togo to the house. I have a grand trunk ul travel hammock that i USED TO USE for a nightly sleep solution, but i got a hexon from dutch and now my grand trunk is just an extra, that can be used with a poncho as a tarp if my other gears fail. Tiggz no-ground poles are on the list formin case there arent trees, butni have poles for an alphatent setup if im above the treeline (for whatever idiot reason i might be above the treeline. That sounds like torture, jusayin)
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    I moto-camp and can fit a reasonable amount of gear, don't have to carry it.
    Some things I always take:

Chair - bought a Helinox clone for under $40, light and packs small but way better than having to sit on the ground or a stool with no back.

Pillow - I have a Nemo Fillo luxury pillow that I had used well inflated in a tent but only put a little air in for the hammock, improves my comfort quite a bit.

Toilet paper - half a roll squashed flat in a ziplock bag, I like to know I have it even if I don't need it which is better than needing it and not having it.

Shovel - in a small bag is a folding shovel that I take basically to use prior to needing the toilet paper. I had a cheaper one but bought a dearer one that got good reviews on Amazon.

Victorinox SAK - I've got several, often take my Victorinox Ranger that has really good tool density with 2 blades, saw, file, scissors, can opener, reamer and more. This is a very versatile tool that can make a good backup if I have a bigger knife. I often use the smaller blade for dirtier tasks to keep the larger blade clean in case I need it for food prep.

Power Bank - good for recharging the cell phone, handy when camping away from power. I like to read books on the cell phone in the evenings and can put the phone on charge after I've finished reading and want to get some sleep.

I take a bunch of other stuff, but these little items while not expensive things really to make camping that much nicer.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Love my inflatable pillow!

If I'm solo hiking and there's no chance of anyone else being within 10 km, I pack my harmonica.

Hammock
    11" 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY 10X10
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    3 or 4 safety pins. They weigh hardly anything and are good for keeping wet clothing from falling off the ridge line
    Or wherever. Pin to outside of pack wnen not using.

Hammock
    handkerchief
    Tarp
    wax paper
    Insulation
    pocket lint
    Suspension
    dental floss
    I always bring a slingshot just to have fun.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiMark View Post
    Toilet paper - half a roll squashed flat in a ziplock bag, I like to know I have it even if I don't need it which is better than needing it and not having it.
    No kidding! I learned to pack more than I think I need. I've gone home one sock lighter one trip. Never going to push the limit again to save .09oz.

• + New Posts
  • Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast