Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

those darn spaghetti lines

Greetings--

I'm a newbie at hammocking, having slept seven nights so far in the Clark North American that I bought in Oct 09. My main frustration is spending so much time untangling and attaching the six spaghetti lines when I'm setting up.

I've thought of using cam straps while canoe camping on rivers, but they are heavier and after awhile make one appreciate the lighter weight and more compact spaghetti lines. Recently I bought six one-inch line tensioners (the older design) for these lines and they seem to work fairly well on either end of the fly. Haven't figured out yet how they'll work on the fly. Does anyone have a suggestion?

At first I kept all these lines attached when I stuffed the hammock, but that created maximum havoc when I unpacked the hammock. Lately I've been removing all six before I stuff the hammock. I've wound the four fly lines around my fist, then placed a rubber band around them. Same with the rest of the spaghetti lines. Works fine except that when I remove the rubber bands and watch them tangle.

I suppose I might wind each spaghetti line separately, but my gosh that seems like a lot of work. Has anyone come up with a tried and true method of handling these thin lines?

BTW, I think I prefer to hang the fly separately and a few inches higher. That way, I don't get my head wet from the dew collected on the fly's underside when I arise plus I don't have to deal with a twisted and tangled fly when I unpack the hammock. Of course this has meant adding two more spaghetti lines to hold up the netting. Is there anyone with experience who'd comment on this method?

Dave in Kansas

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Someone posted in another thread about some little bags sewn to the tarp, into which you roll a coiled tarp line...

???
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've also found "success" of a sort by using some Velcro cable ties from the local hardware store. I use them on each line by the tarp tie-out point and wrap them around the coiled tie-out line.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Are you talking about the tarp guylines? You might want to try switching to a stiffer guyline that doesn't tangle as much. I've had good luck with kelty triptease reflective cord.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Are you talking about the tarp guylines? You might want to try switching to a stiffer guyline that doesn't tangle as much. I've had good luck with kelty triptease reflective cord.
    Same here. I like that line.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Kansas View Post
    I'm a newbie at hammocking, having slept seven nights so far in the Clark North American that I bought in Oct 09. My main frustration is spending so much time untangling and attaching the six spaghetti lines when I'm setting up.
    Dave,

I feel your pain! Some tarps, including many Hennessy tarps, have little pockets in each corner where the guylines can be stored when not in use (as previously mentioned). The pockets are handy, but even then, I've tangled the line when I just stuffed them in.

What I do now--pocket or no pocket--is take each guyline in turn, coil the line in my hand, and wrap the coil like I do my iPod headphones. The technique works quite well, even though it takes a few moments to coil each guyline.

While this is a little OCD, the time I spend wrapping the guyline more than pays for itself when it's time to pitch the tarp. I do the same with any guylines on hammocks.

For guyline, I've switched to inexpensive braided mason line from Home Depot. The bright neon colors are visible day and night, hold knots well, are light, inexpensive, and easily replaceable. Mine have lasted over a year so far. The color will fade with extensive UV exposure, which is when I replace them.

Hammock
    Clark UltraLight
    Tarp
    ZPack 8.5x10 Cuben
    Insulation
    Crows Nest
    Suspension
    Polypro & Rings
    I have had the same problem when I went to a larger tarp with eight tie offs. I started off going to a tied ridge line (where I laid out the tarp flat and tied my ridge line to each end of the tarp perminately ) and the line runs under the tarp. I used a different colored line to be able sort it out and tie up first. This helped the tie out lines fall free(er) and I did remove my tarp tensioners and put on some 12" rubber bands. This has helped so far.

Hoosier

Hammock
    Blackbird Double 1.7
    Tarp
    big JRB tarp
    Insulation
    JRB NoSniv/Mt Wash
    Suspension
    Opie's whoopies
    I agree with Mustardman about using a stiffer line. The Speer no-tangle line is the best stuff I've used. Easy to untangle. I put small scrunchees (like girls use on their ponytails) where the line meets the tarp to bundle things up.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Wrap the cord around your fingers until 3 feet or so is left... Pull out fingers pinching a bundle of wraps then Frap the remaining length to about 8-10 inches, extend your left fore finger, wrap end over , around and pull a bight thru with your finger...Takes all of 10 seconds per line.

To use..........Pull the bight out by the end... Done.... TANGLE FREE every time.

No extra pockets, ties, or wrap cords needed... no extra weight... Works wet or dry in under 10 seconds a line... try it...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Pan - I used your method this weekend on an overnight with a Speer Winter tarp and it appears to work well. I had previously done this but used a sailor's "loop through and over" to finish up. Your "slipped bight" will be quicker to undo when I next hang the tarp. Thanks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast