Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Love my 0º Burrow, it also has snaps.

Thing is, I love the zero for cold temps and don't find myself unsnapping it much. The only reason I do unsnap it is to adjust the size of the footbox. I'm a figure 4 sleeper and really only like to have a footbox that comes up just above my ankles, maybe a bit more but not up to the top of my calves. The snaps let me adjust the size of the footbox.

In warmer temps I unsnap it completely and just tuck my feet in if I want. No way could I use a footbox at 70º as mentioned by SS, it would be sweaty feet city. There's also no way I see using my zero at those temps, it's just too stinking hot. A poncho liner works great for temps in the 60's and 70's. In the 50's I get by with a poncho line but like a little something more. That's why I ended up buying a second top quilt rated at 40º.

Now for very cold temps, below 20º and certainly below 10º, I find myself wanting a sewn footbox. Yes, I plug the cinched end with socks, fleece, a pillow or whatever, but when the wind blows, somehow it finds it's way in. The other thing is, an overstuffed footbox keeps your toes warm, especially if your outside foot presses against the hammock and compresses the down. For sure there have been times when I slid down into my footbox and my right foot (I'm a head left, foot right person) pressed against the footbox, the down compressed and me toes got chilly.

Nice thing about snaps, you can also use it as a blanket in the house when you're doing the couch potato thing. But, and I've been saying this for a while, I'm getting my 0º Burrow TQ converted to a sewn footbox because it is my cold weather goto after all and versatility matters less to me than being snuggy warm at -10º.

HYOY YMMV GL
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    @ Mountnormal: Congratulations! Sounds like you've really jumped in with both feet! I would expect that you will be very happy with that set up. And, if you get more experience and decide that the combination isn't working well for you, no worries. Those items all hold their value well and can readily be sold fairly close to what you spent.

I wish I'd started off in the manner that you did. I tried to go the lower cost route by not getting UQ and not getting a TQ and not getting a lighter tarp. Tried using a pad and old sleeping bags and that didn't work well for me. Kept getting sweaty when using the pad when temps were above ~ 50 degrees. Ended up getting the Hammock Gear UQ/TQ and Superfly eventually anyway.

HYOH, go get in the woods, and have fun!

Bruce

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Burrow Econ
    Suspension
    Straps/buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by bdaabat View Post
    @ Mountnormal: Congratulations! Sounds like you've really jumped in with both feet! I would expect that you will be very happy with that set up. And, if you get more experience and decide that the combination isn't working well for you, no worries. Those items all hold their value well and can readily be sold fairly close to what you spent.

I wish I'd started off in the manner that you did. I tried to go the lower cost route by not getting UQ and not getting a TQ and not getting a lighter tarp. Tried using a pad and old sleeping bags and that didn't work well for me. Kept getting sweaty when using the pad when temps were above ~ 50 degrees. Ended up getting the Hammock Gear UQ/TQ and Superfly eventually anyway.

HYOH, go get in the woods, and have fun!

Bruce
    I actually ended up with a 20* Burrow and Incubator...but yes, both feet were involved when I jumped into hammocking...

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Unsnap for higher temps? Again, I don't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    Love my 0º Burrow, it also has snaps.
    Darn, I was really looking forward to a SilvrSurfr vs. Ratdog snap-foot-box cage match, until I read this:

Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog
    But, and I've been saying this for a while, I'm getting my 0º Burrow TQ converted to a sewn footbox because it is my cold weather goto after all and versatility matters less to me than being snuggy warm at -10º.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Sounds like I already won!

Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    Darn, I was really looking forward to a SilvrSurfr vs. Ratdog snap-foot-box cage match, until I read this:

Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    I've been saying this for a while, I'm getting my 0º Burrow TQ converted to a sewn footbox because it is my cold weather goto after all and versatility matters less to me than being snuggy warm at -10º.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Yeah, not only do you win but you have a higher 0º Burrow Utility Quotient than I do. No way can I use it at higher temps especially when humid, would drive me nuts.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    You didn't have to get into a cage first, so it doesn't count. Also, Ratdog has been saying that for at least a year now, so maybe he was just trying to placate your obsession.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    You didn't have to get into a cage first, so it doesn't count. Also, Ratdog has been saying that for at least a year now, so maybe he was just trying to placate your obsession.
    So he's placating me, maybe even patronizing me? Oh dear, next thing ya know he's gonna be relieving himself on my rug. That rug really ties the room together.

This aggression will not stand, man. Next thing you know Ratdog's gonna bring a freaking Pomeranian bowling.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 03-25-2016 at 23:22.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    Better the rug than one of your sewn foot boxes!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Once Ratdog tries a sewn footbox, he'll be chief proselytizer.

You wanna see an angry dude, try waking Ratdog up in the morning. He's angry you woke him up, but I'd rather deal with that than have the guy miss breakfast. Then he'll be really angry!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast