Pull over sock vs sock with a flap

I am going to get a winter sock for my hammock. I can't decide on which type is best. I've been looking at the dutch style that you pull up, and also the Molly Mac with the flap. For those that have used both, which do you prefer and why ? I like the simple design of the dutch, but not sure if I like having to pull it down for midnight breaks. I do like the way it surrounds you and would keep the wind out. On the other hand, I like the ease of entry of the Mac style with the flap, but will the flap catch the wind and let the wind in, or worse, get blown up ? Can you take shock cord and kind of stake out the flap ?

Thanks, J
    Clarke Vertex with Z liners, Hammeck Envy S with Incubator 20*
    Custom Dutch Hammock 12' x 6' Double Hyper D ! My current daily sleep system !
    Custom SLD Tree Runner Double Hexon 12' x 6' Loco Libre 20* set
    SLD Tree Runner 12'

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC BlackBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    White Cloud, Zeppe
    Suspension
    Whoopies marlinspi
    I've used both the Molly Mac with Dutch SEEP and the fully enclosed warbonnet.

Both have pros and cons.

I like the warbonnet because it fully encloses the Hammock. The only thing that I don't like about it is the fact that you have to thread the suspension through the sock when installing it.

The Molly Mac w Dutch SEEP. I love how easy it is to install. You can easily install it after Setting up the Hammock. I also love how easy it is to get out of: all you have to do is pull down the elastic SEEP and get out. The flap has a compartment at the end where you put something heavy. So it should not be necessary to stake it out separately. Plus there are no provisions for attaching a line there anyway.

I have not tried a pullover sock so I can only speculate on what the pros and cons thereof are. I'd imagine, however, that people with short arms and or long hammocks might have a problem reaching for the drawstring when they want to get out.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I have a couple pull-overs but have not used the other types to provide a comparison.
    With the pull-overs you thread the suspension the foot end through the sock when installing it.
    Both mine keep the head outside which was my goal. One cinches up at the shoulders and a longer one that hooks to the RL. Both were variants of JustJeff's Version 2 sock: http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockSock.html
    Mine both go under the ridgeline where Jeff's go through the ridgeline.

So pick the style you prefer. Then think about the material you want for when you will be using it (mine are Soft Tyvek for winter use).

Look at some other options too (like an Underquilt protector (UQP) and a top cover.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    I have a DIY "imitation" MollyMac canvas sock with SEEP. It has served me well through several coastal winter storms.

I store my boots in the flap pockets. It is a handy place to keep them and they have never blown around in spite of some very heavy coastal wind storms.

For me, the SEEP is a very easy way to enter and exit the sock. I have no experience with the Fronkey style socks that you pull on like a large condom. But, I believe my short arms would make it an inconvenient option.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by obxh2o View Post
    I have a DIY "imitation" MollyMac canvas sock with SEEP. It has served me well through several coastal winter storms.

I store my boots in the flap pockets. It is a handy place to keep them and they have never blown around in spite of some very heavy coastal wind storms.

For me, the SEEP is a very easy way to enter and exit the sock. I have no experience with the Fronkey style socks that you pull on like a large condom. But, I believe my short arms would make it an inconvenient option.
    Fronkey style nets and enclosures are entered by the bottom, not the end.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Rick View Post
    Fronkey style nets and enclosures are entered by the bottom, not the end.
    I have the short arms, long hammock deal, so I went with the Molly Mac with the regular SEEP. I'll post some pic of it when it comes in.
    thanks for the replies !
    J
    SLD Tree Runner 12'

disregard the quote, wrong one, although I do have Fronkey bug net, and I like it !
    J.
    SLD Tree Runner 12'

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Loco Libre / JRB
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I have the Dutch Argon sock that I use with a WBBBXLC. I zip off the bug net because it is not needed with the sock. I chose it over the zip socks for 1) less cost and 2) less weight. It probably is a bit more cumbersome to navigate than a zip sock. I have found the drawstring sock can get snagged on your underquilt when you pull it on and off. Not a deal breaker for me, though. A zip sock would not do that.
    As far as set up, I set it up at home and tread my suspension through it. When I hit camp, I can just pull the whole thing from my stuff sack and hang it as the same time as the hammock. Easy. The Dutch sock mesh over your head vents really well, too.

• + New Posts