Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Looking for a Grayson Highlands/Mt Rogers hike for scouts

I posted this on whiteblaze.net as well so if you answered there then thank you. For those of you who don't go to that forum, is there anyone that can recommend a hike for in the Grayson Highlands/Mt Rogers area for scouts aged 14-16 for a weekend trip? Either a good route description or map would be very much appreciated.

I hope Rainman gives us a report after his family hike this week up there.

BTW, I've converted 4 scouts to hammock camping so far out of 25. Ways to go but a few more trips on rocky, uneven ground should help

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    How many boys on the trek? How many adults? Will you have capability to shuttle vehicles from one end to the other, or are you doing a round trip (in and out the same way)? Assuming most will be using tents.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Good job on the conversions Walking Dead!
    And good questions Rockdawg. After hearing the answers, there could be several suggestions found here.

Another question... am I right in assuming that at least some of these scouts would be exhausted if they try to hike to far w/ to much elevation change? If so, there are some slightly less demanding hikes that will allow them to reach camp in reasonable time & yet those that want more will have plenty day hike options.

We should try to point you to places that have water, shelter from hard winds, & trees for hammocks as well as places for tents.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Elk Garden to Thomas Knob Shelter via the AT and a return on the horse trail would let you hike a loop and not have to worry about a shuttle. It's about 4.2 miles in. Lots of dayhike options in Grayson from there.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Elk Garden to Thomas Knob Shelter via the AT and a return on the horse trail would let you hike a loop and not have to worry about a shuttle. It's about 4.2 miles in. Lots of dayhike options in Grayson from there.
    Ha, Walter, that is exactly what I was going to post! The Elk Garden parking area is very large, and easy to find. You can take this link to Google Maps to get you directly there. Once there you simply follow the White Blazes east to the top of Mt. Rogers. Thomas Knob shelter offers some spacious sleeping, but about 1/4 mile past it there's plenty of open areas to tent camp. On the return route just head south a bit to catch the Virginia Horse Trail and head back west! I did this exact route a few days ago, it was a good time

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Agree with some of the other suggestions of starting at Elk Garden parking area. The climb out to Mt Rogers is fairly easy. Many trails around and across Grayson Highlands that could be used for day hiking if you don't want to do the 17 miles to VA 603 at Fox Creek.
    Thomas Knob shelter has very limited capability for hammocks in the area around the shelter. Fir trees are thick and small. Some more open areas are further north on the AT a few hundred feet.
    The next shelter north on the AT is "Wise". I remember seeing No Camping signs for 500 feet around the shelter last spring due to sensitive habitat I think.
    Good luck whatever you decide.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Have never hiked out of Elk Garden but I believe I have heard rumors cars being vandalized there. If I am mistaking, my apologies. I guess no matter where you park there is always that chance but along the side of any road one should be cautious not to leave valuables.

Hopefully I am wrong about this location because it seems like the ideal location for a weekend trip.

From one Eagle Scout to all the other scouts. . . . ENJOY !

• + New Posts