Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    Wow that set up looks Killer! What a gorgeous Looking set up! Congrats on the sleeves, on my wish list too.
    I'm now considering a Clark.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    I have used a JRB Mt. Washington on my NX-250 for a couple of years with great success.
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Hammock
    TX-270, TTTM
    Tarp
    CCS, Vertex
    Insulation
    HG, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    HammockFan &Straps
    Loco Libre 0 deg underquilt. I asked to have the Beastie Dees spaced further apart than his std length, to push them towards the ends to connect to the loops on the NX-250. This was the first time the underquilt was on the 250, so was test fitting.

DSC00150.jpgDSC00149.jpgDSC00142.jpgDSC00141.jpgDSC00134.jpgDSC00130.jpg

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    HG Inc 20 + Bur 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    It seems like the spreader bars are pulling the fabric away from the underside of your body and thus pulling the UQ away too. Do you guys find that to be an issue? In my BB I like the fact that the UQ is essentially cinched up around me. Maybe the TQ fills that role in the Clarks?

Hammock
    TX-270, TTTM
    Tarp
    CCS, Vertex
    Insulation
    HG, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    HammockFan &Straps
    I can't speak to differences between how an UQ fits one style of hammock vs another as I have not used my TTTM (think ENO) hammock with an underquilt but I can see how it would feel like the UQ wraps around a person in it. I have not had cold issues with my 20 UQ and TQ so I'm going to propose it works well on the Clark for the temp rating. All the pics I posted have someone inside the hammock - I didn't post any 'full-body' shots of the person visible - but on the 4th picture you can just make out that there is a persons head at the one end and then you see that nothing else of the person shows, but you can see the top of the UQ across the hammock. The person in the hammock may not be wrapped as tight on the sides as in an ENO style hammock but they are well below the top of the UQ and thus the TQ comes down on the sides below the top of the UQ and creates that comfy insulation environment.

The spreader bars are rather flexible and have more impact on the top profile, creating that 'roof', than the bottom, I think. I think its more to do with the design of the Clark bed vs the spreader bars. Others may disagree.

Not sure if I answered anything or just rambled.

Hammock
    Clark TX-150
    Tarp
    Custom Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have a Clark Vertex and I have taken mine to 5F and it was pretty warm.
    For my setup: I have the 20F Phoenix and 20F Burrow. I had to use an extra pad as well as down jacket.
    For her setup: 0F Incubator an 0F Burrow. She was fine with no pads.

Hope that helps.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    That first pic was my hammock with a 30° UGQ full length Zeppelin. The pole sleeves won't let the ends of the quilt come up high enough to "grip" onto - over the hammock and despite being plenty wide enough it wants to slip down. Routing the ends between the poles and the pole sleeves works but reduces the length by about 14 inches. I have tried larksheading bungies from the tie out loops at the top of the pole hoops and clipping the ends to the quilt suspension on both ends with adjustable toggles to snug it up. It works and allows some fore and aft adjustment but it compresses the the sides of the hammock a bit to lose a little of that glorious roominess. I tried using real small paper clamps to clip the bungies to the sides of the hammock. It works pretty well too but the nylon is slippery and the clamps can slip off. However I think supporting the quilt by the suspension from the sides of the hammock at the seam of the hammock bed to the weathershield out near the head and foot ends works best. I just purchased eight mitten hooks and am going to attach them to the sides of the hammock for clipping onto the quilt suspension bungies and see how that works. I'll decide whether to use narrow lightweight grosgrain webbing loops for a fixed attachment of the mitten hooks to the sides of the hammock or attach small bungies to the loops a little higher up using the toggles below the hooks to allow for some adjustment.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Brian Miller; 05-17-2016 at 11:09.
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaerous View Post
    It seems like the spreader bars are pulling the fabric away from the underside of your body and thus pulling the UQ away too. Do you guys find that to be an issue? In my BB I like the fact that the UQ is essentially cinched up around me. Maybe the TQ fills that role in the Clarks?
    I like the completeness and spaciousness of my Clark. Plus it is the "everything I need, nothing I don't" concept. My brother and nephew use DIY gathered end hammocks. Their hammocks appear to naturally close up on them. I mentioned in my first post above the "glorious spaciousness". If the bottom quilt suspension is too tight it pinches in the sides of the hammock and it tucks in against me in a fashion similar to a regular gathered end hammock. I don't care for that.

With a Clark and the (UGQ 20° Zeppelin waterproof down) bottom quilt suspension physically attached to the sides of along the way to the ends, imagine if you will, a hammock bed shaped like a bathtub. I always clean off the dirt and sweat of the day with a solar shower bag or wipes. You sit down on the side of the hammock and take off your clothes and tuck them away into the bottom pockets where you lay over them; not on them. They add to your quilt insulation and stay toasty warm for the morning. I keep a clean silk base layer top (plus I wear silk boxers when out in the bush) and a polypropylene balaclava as dedicated jammies packed with my top quilt in its stuff sack. You slip those on.

You lay down in it and zip the weather shield (partially) and the mosquito netting closed. There is eighteen plus inches of totally open space above you. There is lots of extra room along the sides and the sides of the hammock are six - plus inches above your body. Everywhere you touch along the sides and bottom of the hammock is warmth. Now tuck your feet into the eighteen inch-long foot box of your (UGQ FlightJacket 40° waterproof down) top quilt and pull it up so it just drapes over you up to your face, and you are quickly warm all over.

A normal gathered end hammock is more like a mummy sleeping bag. This is freedom and comfort that I can only describe as what sleeping on a cloud must be like.

Brian

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Godisgr8 View Post
    Here's my set up. I attached Velcros to the underquilt and it seems to align well with Clark... I can't wait and will provide feedback.

Would you be willing to post close up pictures of how and where you attached Velcro to your quilt? I didn't want to permanently modify the down quilt feeling the quilt shell is somewhat delicate (much more so than the hammock and attaching hooks to it) and that poking holes in the quilt might not work out well for me.

Last edited by Brian Miller; 05-17-2016 at 10:52.
    Brian

Hammock
    DblW Hexon/Chameleon/Half-Wit/NX270
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps w/BeetleBuk
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Miller View Post
    Would you be willing to post close up pictures of how and where you attached Velcro to your quilt? I didn't want to permanently modify the down quilt feeling the quilt shell is somewhat delicate (much more so than the hammock and attaching hooks to it) and that poking holes in the quilt might not work out well for me.

I'd be interested in seeing that also.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast