Hennessey Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB 4 season set
    Suspension
    JRB Complete SS

ok, I bought it, now what???

Thanks for your help. I ordered a Hyperlite today. They had a deal for a free Hex tarp, but agreed to take $60 off of a SS instead, so that will be the beginning of my insulation for the winter. Seemed to but a much cheaper alternative to the JRB route. Here's what I'm thinking, but I would appreciate your opinion:

Get the GG 1/4' wide pad for starters. The Shenandoh (or probably the Stealth) quilt will hopefully carry me into fall here on the lower AT. Trying to decide between the standard or the deluxe MacCat.

Would you leave the suspension the same for starters or go ahead and make modifications from the beginning?

Any other tricks for someone who hasn't been in a hammock since they were a kid?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgU View Post
    Thanks for your help. I ordered a Hyperlite today. They had a deal for a free Hex tarp, but agreed to take $60 off of a SS instead, so that will be the beginning of my insulation for the winter. Seemed to but a much cheaper alternative to the JRB route. Here's what I'm thinking, but I would appreciate your opinion:

Get the GG 1/4' wide pad for starters. The Shenandoh (or probably the Stealth) quilt will hopefully carry me into fall here on the lower AT. Trying to decide between the standard or the deluxe MacCat.

Would you leave the suspension the same for starters or go ahead and make modifications from the beginning?

Any other tricks for someone who hasn't been in a hammock since they were a kid?

I cant believe I'm about to suggest this.
    Go ahead and use the tree huggers to suspend the hammock for a short while then upgrade to the ring/buckle system. It will make you appreciate the ring/buckles more as well as give you knowledge to give to others.
    I'd go with the MacCat Deluxe cause it is bigger.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    I got my HH Scout. I had previously passed by the lengthy ring/buckle thread as too techy and of little interest. I hung my Scout in my yard using the tree huggers and the figure 8 wraps. I then came in and read every post in the ring/buckle thread.

Do definitely hang with the standard rig. Then, and only then, will you understand the ring/buckle modifications, and more importantly, the why. Then go out and hang a large tarp with rain starting to fall as you hang it. You will then come in and beg Slowhike to explain the figure 9's and how they are used for hanging the tarp.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Get the GG 1/4' wide pad for starters. The Shenandoh (or probably the Stealth) quilt will hopefully carry me into fall here on the lower AT.
    Don't overlook the Potomac quilt.

Trying to decide between the standard or the deluxe MacCat.
    The deluxe for sure. Nobody ever wishes for a SMALLER tarp, but a larger one can come in handy for all kinds of reasons.

Hang with the standard suspension only until you can get some spyderline, webbing, and CC buckles delivered. Once you get that setup, you'll see that it is the most evolved suspension currently available.

Practice, Practice, Practice.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Just go hang it and have fun.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Don't overlook the Potomac quilt.

The deluxe for sure. Nobody ever wishes for a SMALLER tarp, but a larger one can come in handy for all kinds of reasons.

Hang with the standard suspension only until you can get some spyderline, webbing, and CC buckles delivered. Once you get that setup, you'll see that it is the most evolved suspension currently available.

Practice, Practice, Practice.
    Curious....what size spyderline are you using in the picture?

Miguel

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post

Miguel
    If you're referring to the "setup" link, that's not Spyderline. That's one of my hammocks, and it's some of the Spectra I cut off my HH ULB.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Hennessey Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB 4 season set
    Suspension
    JRB Complete SS

Which guyline?

I'm trying to stay light, but everybody keeps saying MacCat deluxe, so I'll defer to your wisdom. What kind of guyline do you use? I want the lightest that won't be a pain to deal with. Thx!

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Miguel
    In regard to spyderline, I'd probably go with a 3.8mm, which is rated to about 1900#. Better safe than dropped!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Like BB said, spyderline isn't in that pic, I just linked it to show the CC setup. However, I have a similar arrangement and I'm using the 5/32" spyderline. I'll try to post a pic later today.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast