Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timsdl72 View Post
    These answers tuned the little light bulb on for me. I've used a sleeping bag for my hanging thus far (very limited....quite new to this). I'm fighting pack size more than weight. Hadn't really considered the bulk that a sleeping bag adds when it's not needed. Now I want a TQ!
    Yeah, the guy was doing ok with what he got. Then that evil light turned on, and now you will have no rest until you get yourself a nice TQ )

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by BrRabbit View Post
    Yeah, the guy was doing ok with what he got. Then that evil light turned on, and now you will have no rest until you get yourself a nice TQ )
    Hate to dive right in to the commercialization but that's exactly right! I'm at 5000ci with my pack for winter. Seems excessive. It's not heavy but it's sure full. I'd love to reduce it.

Hammock
    Dream-Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Cuben W/ Doors
    Insulation
    EE UQ+LocoLibre TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie+DutchBling
    Quote Originally Posted by timsdl72 View Post
    Hate to dive right in to the commercialization but that's exactly right! I'm at 5000ci with my pack for winter. Seems excessive. It's not heavy but it's sure full. I'd love to reduce it.
    Holy smokes that's huge! I felt like an under-acheiver with my 30 litre pack. Not anymore!
    Hang the good hang.

Hammock
    Hennessy Asym Zipped
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Std Camo
    Insulation
    HG, Quilts, 0 +2oz
    Suspension
    Whoppie Sling
    I started with pads and sleeping bag. I shaved off over a pound by going with a top quilt. 2.5 lbs were saved changin my pack, just a weight savings for me. Switching to the latest 850fill with the lightweight fabrics is like sleeping under a cloud. I feel bad though my old bags are pretty much taking up space now.
    Hanging in Tree's since 2012
    Tent Backpacking since 1974

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phx. & EE Rev.
    Suspension
    Whoopies & toggles
    Besides weight and bulk of my old sleeping bag, the biggest driver of going with a quilt was that the zipper was on the wrong side. I have a wbbb with the zipper on the left, and my asymmetrical mummy bag's zipper is on the right. Getting in and out involved standing alongside my hammock and zipping myself in before getting in the hammock. Makes midnight bathroom breaks way more trouble then they oughta.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    An interesting thread.
    The one thing that I'm the most confused about though is the simple fact of why anyone would bother to zip up a mummy style bag, rather than laying it open like a TQ. However, throughout this thread, I keep seeing references to "half the down being wasted" underneath you. zipping yourself into the bag and hopping around struggling to get back into your hammock, and difficulties with zippers on opposite sides. All of these are moot if you just use one as a TQ. Why would you sweat the zip at all?
    My three bags, 40°, 25°, 15°, are all older [1970-80s] standard mummy style bags. All were state of the art when they were bought. They all work great as TQs. I leave the zipper pulled up about 8 or 10 inches to give a foot-box, and I can slip in and out of my "TQ"-bag slicker than snail snot.
    Just out of curiosity, I went upstairs just now and pulled the tape measure across their widest point at the shoulders on all the bags. They each measure just about 55 inches to 60 inches across... This is just about exactly the same measurement as the Loco Libre Gear Ghost Peppers I've been drooling about. My gear-in-hand size out to be the same as a comparable TQ. Yeah, the older down is probably "only" 650, so I can't fault the bulk arguments, but all my drooling aside, truth of the matter is I just can't justify the cost for the number nights I actually need heavy-duty, cold weather warmth.
    The weight saving would be nice, but I've realized that I could cut the zippers out of any one of my bags to reduce the weight anyways.
    I'm even considering having the local seamstress remove the hood portion, and re-purpose/add a draft collar across the top of one of them.
    My only personal annoyance with a mummy-as-TQ is that differential hood length.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The great thing about TQs is that they don't have a zipper (at least none of mine do) and I hate zippers (long story). They also don't have insulation where you don't need it (i.e., where it will be compressed and useless).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I used to use my old NF Ibex sleeping bag as a TQ until I could afford to get a TQ ( or two ). Took 5 years to get The Terminator to give up her sleeping bag and go with TQ which she agrees is better.

If you have a sleeping bag then by all means use it as a TQ.

One of the most fun things to watch is someone trying to get into their sleeping bag while still out of their hammock and then get into the hammock.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    The one thing that I'm the most confused about though is the simple fact of why anyone would bother to zip up a mummy style bag, rather than laying it open like a TQ. However, throughout this thread, I keep seeing references to "half the down being wasted" underneath you. zipping yourself into the bag and hopping around struggling to get back into your hammock, and difficulties with zippers on opposite sides. All of these are moot if you just use one as a TQ.
    Completely agree. Though it probably would be entertaining video.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I use my sleeping bag partially unzipped as a TQ. I have found that occasionally in the middle of the night probably due to tossing and turning the bag distorts resulting in heat loss and/or drafts. I've also discovered that on certain nights where I find myself just plain old cold, that zippering the bag closed makes me warmer. I believe a closed sleeping bag in general retains your body heat better and totally eliminates drafts created by moving in your sleep. I do get the weight and bulk savings of a TQ and may get one for summer backpacking but give me a bag when it's really cold.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast