Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Web for now

Hammocks from roof rack in treeless jungle... Building a support for the other side?

Hello! I've yet to be able to use my hammock when making a jungle trip in SE Asia via car as we usually end up in a place with no trees. So I'm trying to think through my easiest option, which seems to be hanging one end from my roof rack (strong aftermarket with 6 support legs total), and then bringing something for the other end.

I might be able to just hang the other end of the hammocks from a friends roof rack, but is rather be self sufficient and have a little more private space.

Ills be getting a 2mx2.5m awning, and would love to be able to fit under this as much as possible. We've got our Warbonnet tarps, but I'm hoping the awning attached to the vehicle will work enough. Usually doesn't rain much overnight where we are at.

So, what are some ideas for the free ends support? Google pulled up something like this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457342787.390624.jpg

But I'm having a hard time using the Ultimate Hang calculator to give me good numbers.

Would two supports like this, anchored down be sufficient? I'd like to hand two hammocks off the roof rack, terminating to one support on the other end.

Images
    The only thing with that setup is, the anchors. Different terrains could be a pain to deal with on a regular basis.
    I'd suggest a simple tripod like in the picture, but instead of using a rope and anchor, use a ridge pole that will wedge in between your roof rack and the top of the tripod. I'd think that would be easier to slap up and take down each day. You could even cut it into sections, and scre in some hinges at each cut, to make a folding pole to easily fit in the car.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    Apex Tarp
    Insulation
    Static V Luxe
    Suspension
    1" Nylon Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peripatew View Post
    Hello! I've yet to be able to use my hammock when making a jungle trip in SE Asia via car as we usually end up in a place with no trees. So I'm trying to think through my easiest option, which seems to be hanging one end from my roof rack (strong aftermarket with 6 support legs total), and then bringing something for the other end.

I might be able to just hang the other end of the hammocks from a friends roof rack, but is rather be self sufficient and have a little more private space.

Ills be getting a 2mx2.5m awning, and would love to be able to fit under this as much as possible. We've got our Warbonnet tarps, but I'm hoping the awning attached to the vehicle will work enough. Usually doesn't rain much overnight where we are at.

So, what are some ideas for the free ends support? Google pulled up something like this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457342787.390624.jpg

But I'm having a hard time using the Ultimate Hang calculator to give me good numbers.

Would two supports like this, anchored down be sufficient? I'd like to hand two hammocks off the roof rack, terminating to one support on the other end.
    If you're guaranteed two cars I'd suggest utilizing bipods and anchoring down to the wheels...2 cars 2 hammocks...3 cars 4 hammocks...4 cars...sorry I got carried away

Hammock
    wbbb xlc
    Tarp
    blinged out SF
    Insulation
    hg o deg +2 uq tq
    Suspension
    straps and buckels
    Hey all,
    I've installed lots of roof racks and most are are just using nutserts which are only holding in the thickness of the sheet metal and will not support side loads for very long,don't know on yours just suggesting that you be very carefully as I would not want anyone injured.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I tried hanging from my roof racks once. Just once. After crashing to the ground I wound up sleeping in the car. I would not recommend it. Buy a stand and load that on the roof racks instead.
    Debi

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    +3
    I installed the rack on my Taco as per the directions, with sheet metal screws. No way would I hang from it.

A much safer choice is to open the doors on both sides, run a strap all the way around the roof, and close the doors.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Web for now

Hammocks from roof rack in treeless jungle... Building a support for the othe...

Thanks for the advise. I hadn't thought about the side forces. It's on my land cruiser, but it's a 105 series so it doesn't have the rain gutter clamps, but bolts into the factory nutserts.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457437492.516033.jpg

I'll consider the through the door wrap. I'd like to find a quick and easy solution, but with the LC, it might end up being an inflatable mattress.

I REALLY like this idea:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457437295.788247.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457437312.088133.jpg

But I'd need to get a new rear bumper, and then modify them both. Would be easier to just sleep inside..... But I WANT to use our hammocks!!!

Hammock
    wbbb xlc
    Tarp
    blinged out SF
    Insulation
    hg o deg +2 uq tq
    Suspension
    straps and buckels
    Hey all,
    Just so happens that those yo yos are what I did for 30 years.I was one of the first toyota master techs in the state.....now retired!

Images
    Love that google pic. What were your search words?

• + New Posts