Little Shop of Hammocks Swift
    Tarp
    LSOH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Stealth blanket
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

New backpacking hammock kit help

I'm hoping to get a little advice from you wise, experienced gurus on my first hammock setup. I'm just getting back into backpacking, and am for the most part in need of a complete kit. I've been doing some research on here, some other sites and on YouTube, and I think I've narrowed down my choices.

A little about myself; I'm 6'4", 240 lbs and generally a warm sleeper. A 3 season setup would be ideal, with the option to piece together better gear over time to push into winter. My DIY ability is pretty low, sewing is wholly not an option.

I'll be hiking in Alberta and BC, including the Rockies. The weather is generally pretty warm and dry, but we get the occasional short hellstorms of wind and torrential rain that I need to be prepared for.

My total budget is around $800 CDN, and this includes shelter, sleeping kit, cooking kit and water filtration. I'm hoping to keep costs low and keep my setup light and of small volume. I understand that light and compressible costs money, so some sacrifice is necessary.

Ultimately, I want to make sure I'm not making any glaring mistakes with my choices. Also, better options of either mild cost increases for significant weight improvements, or significant cost savings for minimal weight gain are welcome suggestions!

Okay, enough rambling. Here is my list:

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' with Hexon 1.6, whoopie slings and ridgeline.

Bugnet
    Dutchware Fronkey

Tarp
    Wilderness logics Tadpole with Dutchware CRL and Mountain goat snake skins

TQ
    Snugpak hammock quilt

UQ
    Snugpak underblanket with some mods for better attachment and less air gaps

I know that the snugpak setup isn't ideal, but I can't argue with the cost. I'm also thinking I might get some mods done to the tarp (extra tie offs maybe?) so that I have the option of closing one or both ends if the weather gets aggressive.

So, what do you think? Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    If possible, i would substitute an Arrow Head equipment, or Little Shop of Hammocks (CDN) climashield UQ instead of the snugpack. You will end up replacing the Snugpack anyways and they will perform MUCH better. The AHE Jarbidge is 100 USD, not sure of the shipping/conversion, and Little Shop of Hammocks is based in Saskatoon so those two things won't be a problem. He has a TQ priced at 135 CDN so you should shoot him a message about making you an UQ , which I imagine will be cheaper. Anything will work for a top quilt, but a quality UQ IMHO is more important even than the hammock itself. The tadpole isnt really going to perform the greatest as a tarp with doors, even with extra tie outs, but you should be plenty protected in its OG configuration, and tons of people swear buy it.

Texas Hill Country, Canada, Southern Mexico, Northern Alabama
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft double layer
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slings

New backpacking hammock kit help

I have a similar setup except that I've got the Snugpak Cocoon and top quilt which is comfortable in to the mid to low 30'sF. And before next fall I'll have a proper UQ. I just got a Simply Light Designs 11ft winter haven in silpoly, Dutch 2.4 DL hexon. Removable ridgeline with knotty mods.. Definitely get that mod if you haven't already ordered... As far as cooking gear there's a lot to choose from and the for sale section is worth looking at, keeping in mind you have to accumulate 50 posts to participate... Hopefully you'll get more information from others pretty soon. Good luck
    Oh yeah I'd add watch Shug"s videos.. But you probably do already
    No matter where you go...There you are..

Hammock
    Tarp
    LSOH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Stealth blanket
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
    If possible, i would substitute an Arrow Head equipment, or Little Shop of Hammocks (CDN) climashield UQ instead of the snugpack. You will end up replacing the Snugpack anyways and they will perform MUCH better. The AHE Jarbidge is 100 USD, not sure of the shipping/conversion, and Little Shop of Hammocks is based in Saskatoon so those two things won't be a problem. He has a TQ priced at 135 CDN so you should shoot him a message about making you an UQ , which I imagine will be cheaper. Anything will work for a top quilt, but a quality UQ IMHO is more important even than the hammock itself. The tadpole isnt really going to perform the greatest as a tarp with doors, even with extra tie outs, but you should be plenty protected in its OG configuration, and tons of people swear buy it.
    I agree that there are likely better options for both TQ and UQ. My thought process was to wait until I've been out a few times and know what I want and need, and then to get some decent quality down gear. I can deal with the bulk and weight in the short term.

Hammock
    Tarp
    LSOH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Stealth blanket
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by varga49 View Post
    I have a similar setup except that I've got the Snugpak Cocoon and top quilt which is comfortable in to the mid to low 30'sF. And before next fall I'll have a proper UQ. I just got a Simply Light Designs 11ft winter haven in silpoly, Dutch 2.4 DL hexon. Removable ridgeline with knotty mods.. Definitely get that mod if you haven't already ordered... As far as cooking gear there's a lot to choose from and the for sale section is worth looking at, keeping in mind you have to accumulate 50 posts to participate... Hopefully you'll get more information from others pretty soon. Good luck
    Oh yeah I'd add watch Shug"s videos.. But you probably do already
    Not that I really know what they are, but I did plan to get the knotty mods. And I'm already waist deep in shug videos

Hi !

Here is my list:

Dutchware Half-Wit 11 foot Hexon 1.6 (I'm 6'3 230 pounds) It holds 350 pounds no problem
    ArrowHead Jarbidge underquilt 25F
    My tarp is a All Weather Shelter from Snugpak, its a 9X9 foot, good tarp but just a little bit heavy but not su much
    I don't use a top quilt but a sleeping bag

Hammock and tarp I'm at 3,2 pounds, add the Jarbidge and I'm at 4,45

I eat freeze-dried food so all I need to cook is a canteen cup to boil water
    http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server28...00.527.jpg?c=2

I cook on fire and if I don't have time, I use an alcohol White Box stove
    http://whiteboxalcoholstoves.com/ima...tove_Image.jpg

Insulation
    Diy oq, uq, apex
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I have to laugh whenever I see cook kits. Not at you but at me I seem to have a stove / cook kit fetish lol. A whole shelf of various kits. That basically collect dust but I cant help myself from buying more. I eat a lot of "add boiling water" meals either diy or store bought. So I boil a lot of water. I would recommend a titanium snow peak 700 pot and lid , a vargo 750 pot and lid. Or something of that size in titanium from toaks or evernew. They are very versitile you can drink, boil water, and they are big enough to get your hand in them to clean if you chose to actually cook in them yet are not oversize or overkill for the task at hand. They also are functional with any kind of fuel ( can , esbit, wood or alcohol) I know alcohol stoves are very popular and diy models can be had for pretty much pennies. I've tried a bunch..... They work. But ehhh not my favorite. But give it a shot a fancy feast or beer can would be a few minutes and pretty much less than a dollar just to see if it's something your into. I personally don't care for esbit. I like the snow peak giga or the tried and true msr micro rocket. They are fool proof fuel is readily available (at least here in states) and boil water in the blink of an eye. But don't simmer that well. They can be had for 35-40 dollars. I've had mine for years it has nvr let me down. Small and compact. Add in a lil foil for a wind screen (which can also be used with alcohol stove ) and your set. Whole thing and lighter fit in cup. As far as a filter goes I've put the pump away and only use a sawyer mini squeeze and I bring a lil msr sweet water or aquamira also for double protection in questionable sources (lots of beaver activity) they ar 20 bucks super light and compact. I also carry a very flimsy spring water bottle cut in half to use as a scoop it weights nothing and takes up no space crushed down. I only carry one smart water bottle to drink from and squeeze and store water I 1 - 1-1/2 liter collapsible bags. Again versitile light and when empty roll down tiny and take up almost 0 space. Also with just a little tubing and some zing it you can set it up with sawyer as a gravity filter while you attend to other tasks. Just my 2 cents. But seem to fit your needs and pocketbook but (and I love this saying) HYOH.

Hammock
    Tarp
    LSOH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Stealth blanket
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Yeah, I'm still not sure what direction I'm going to take as far as a stove and filter goes. I've been holding off on those decisions until after I get the hammock part sorted. I'll check out the stuff you listed, thanks for the suggestions!

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    I cannot imagine how anyone can get by 750 ml. To me, 1.5l pot is a bare minimum, 2l is optimal. But I like to cook my meals, not boil water.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    I have a 3L Camelback bladder
    Bacon and Camping makes me happy.

"When life gives you lemons throw them back"
    Me

I camp in bear country and I am a bear Burrito.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast