Amok Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cave Creek Hammock
    Insulation
    Amok Fjøl XL
    Suspension
    Amok suspension

Oregon Coast - hanging suggestions?

Hi folks! I'll be making another business trip to Portland, OR in April and just figured I should spend a weekend hanging out on the Oregon coast. I've never been there, so I'm looking for ideas and direction rather than just show up and hope for the best.

Funny, I've been traveling up there for years and have never visited the Oregon coast.

I just want a place to get away for a couple of days and hike a little and hang a lot!

Randy

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    Anywhere more specific? The coast is generally split into North, Central and South. And are you a micro beer person? So much good beer in Oregon.

The weather will be at the crux of the random and unpredictable PacNW Spring. But April can easily be one of the prettiest times on the coast, especially just after a storm. But you'll want your bigger tarp!

Seaside and Cannnon are nice and close (there is a big park above Longview too), but all the Oregon sea towns are pretty much the same: 1 pancake place, 2 kite stores, 5 ice cream shops, 10 coffee stands and an 80's arcade that's traveled through time. Too bad Ecola state park is closed right now: http://oregonstateparks.org/index.cf...age&parkId=136

And I've always wanted to hike Onion Peak: http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/vi...hp?f=8&t=14668

If not north, maybe bomb down to Newport (fat bike rentals!), day 1 and head South 101? Carl G. Washburne is a great, established, but affordable, clean and easy access to the beach (not all OR coast parks do!). And I dig Siuslaw National Forest, where you'll find dispersed camping, if you prefer. Oregon state campgrounds are a mess of people in Summer, so April is a wonderful time to go.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cave Creek Hammock
    Insulation
    Amok Fjøl XL
    Suspension
    Amok suspension

Oregon Coast - hanging suggestions?

I just kinda decided to head northwest out of Portland and stay to the north end. I'll check out some of the places you noted. I don't mind the weather and I've got the perfect tarp for it! Thanks for the input. Any help is appreciated!

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    xenon/bonded/RecWi
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Was stationed in Astoria 20 years ago or so, I would suggest cannon beach (Ecola state park) http://oregonstateparks.org/index.cf...age&parkId=136 it has views of haystack rock and where they filmed alot of the movie Goonies. But I don't know if Indian rock road has been fixed the north side of the park was the best IMO the south side was town and beach access.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    xenon/bonded/RecWi
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    but if you don't want the coast visit the hot springs between Portland and Salem. It was about 40 miles from Portland if I recall correctly and about a mile hike in from the closet parking to get to the hot springs.http://soakoregon.com/bagby-hot-springs/
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cave Creek Hammock
    Insulation
    Amok Fjøl XL
    Suspension
    Amok suspension
    Well I just discovered that I can't hang if I stay in the state parks!!

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    xenon/bonded/RecWi
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    That don't sound right, I wonder what the rules are for dispersed camping along the (OCT) Oregon Coast Trail, it goes right through Ecola and some other areas. I tried to call but past park info hours, General park information: State Parks Information Center 1-800-551-6949 I didn't see anything on the Gov websight. at Oregon.Gov but they did have a nice PDF of the OCT, with route and site information. and some other joining trails. It said they had hiker/biker sites, then they said tent sites are first come first serve. But nothing about use of Hammocks that I saw.
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cave Creek Hammock
    Insulation
    Amok Fjøl XL
    Suspension
    Amok suspension
    Well I'll call a ranger or something tomorrow. Heard this from the lady at Nehalem Bay. She's the one who told me no hanging in the state park stuff.

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    xenon/bonded/RecWi
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    funny I was cross referencing info on bike forums and they said that that is the only place that says that, lol. (nehalem bay) and was followed by there is always 2 trees just outside the state park, and said it was a insurance thing for them there but that was just speculation.
    ~ Bruce Lee

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast