Insulation
    Pad

Hammock on the JMT...experience?

Anyone ever hiked the JMT with just a hammock and tarp and no tent? I know you get above the tree line for good parts especially on the southern half. Wondering if you can time it so that you are always camping below the tree line or if that isn't possible.
    Thanks!

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Internet search:

site:hammockforums.net jmt

You'll get lots of threads about HF members' past hikes on the JMT. We hiked the JMT, but "pre-hammock" days. I don't recall ever camping above tree-line. Good luck to you!!!!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    HG WP
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Webbing / Buckles
    I hiked the JMT with my hammock this year, only time I had to go to ground was Guitar Lake, which ended up motivating me to summit Whitney instead of spend the night there. Guthook's JMT guide is excellent to see if your next campsite will have trees available and you can plan accordingly. All of Guthook's campsites however are not designated campsites as regulations and restrictions change. Good luck on the JMT! best trip of my backpacking career by far.

Hammock
    11' hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    10x12 xenon
    Insulation
    Pad & Quilt
    Quote Originally Posted by aaoconn View Post
    I hiked the JMT with my hammock this year, only time I had to go to ground was Guitar Lake, which ended up motivating me to summit Whitney instead of spend the night there. Guthook's JMT guide is excellent to see if your next campsite will have trees available and you can plan accordingly. All of Guthook's campsites however are not designated campsites as regulations and restrictions change. Good luck on the JMT! best trip of my backpacking career by far.
    My b for thread-jacking. What time did you take the trip? What insulation did you use?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    HG WP
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Webbing / Buckles
    June / July. Used 15 degree incubator UQ and 10 degree EE quilt. First night was coldest by far for some reason, everything after that was warmer. Didn't experience any rain.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    My experience was similar to aaoconn's with respect to many available spots to hang a hammock but ours was a 3 year, do it in segments version with the first year being the segment from Roads end to Whitney. That was the last year I was on the ground and more than likely a source of inspiration to take things to a higher level. I've heard of people hanging at Guitar Lake, but it's really challenging to find the right rock formation available and have the right gear. Most simply go to the ground and getting an early start is a big help. The trek up to the summit is steep and can take hours depending on your condition, trail congestion, etc. Lightening storms are more frequent in the afternoon then the morning so getting off the mountain is a real priority. I saw a hiker with a severe gash from falling rocks due to an afternoon lightening storm and they do have an "easy button" at the ledger box, they don't have an express elevator up there.

Have a fantastic time up there, the views are phenomenal.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 yd/sq oz Basic Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    You can time it so that you are always able to hammock it.

I have done it twice as part of a PCT thru hike and once additionally just for the JMT section.

The trick is to get your passes timed well so that you are low enough, this is obvious. So... Some days you may not do as many miles as you'd like.

For specific mile marker info, you can PM me me and I can point you in the right direction.

I have been out there in Jun, July and August.. I'd take a 20 degree UQ and TQ that are legit down to that rating. Also, have something for your legs if you use a 3/4 length UQ.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk
    AT 2011, PCT 2012, LT 2013, WT 2013, JMT 2014, TRT 2014, WT 2014, AZT 2015, PCT 2016, CT 2017, MSR 2017, GET 2018, GDT 2018, TRT 2018, JMT 2018, MRT 2019, CDT 2020/2021
    My trail journals, tips, interviews - http://longdistancehiker.com (Trail Name 'Beardoh')

I did it August 2016 with a hammock the whole way, 14 days. Basically, you'll know how much time you have left, how far you can walk, and tree line is around 10500 (plus or minus 300 ft).
    You could hammock every day, but that means on the last day, if you camp at Guitar Lake, you'll have to find a spot in the rocks to hang your hammock or use cams.
    Alternatively, you could stop short of Guitar Lake. You can't camp at Timberline Lake, but before it, you can. 2017-01-30_0919.png

• + New Posts