Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images

Forum users

Gee. There seems to be a proliferation of users on here that if your not doing something their way (suspension, tarp hanging, use of different hardware...) you are wrong and they have no trouble letting you know that. I can see if what you are doing is unsafe or could get you hurt somehow they would speak up. But it seems that they have gadget x, you advocate using gadget y (which is a perfectly acceptable substitute) and all of a sudden you are the devil incarnate and should be forced back to tent camping for your transgressions! Not so much directed at me but I see it everyday on these forums. A holier-than-thou attitude.

Has it always been like this here? Guess I should just grow a thicker skin and/or ignore boorish comments.

Let me set a modifier...98% of people on here always seem nice. It's the 2% with the high & mighty attitude that I speak of. No replies needed. Not seeking answers...just a rant.

Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Odd I'm new around here too and haven't noticed this at all. I wouldn't let that bother me too bad as you said 98% are good and that percentage in any endeavor is excellent.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    What are you saying about tent camping......!!!
    Tacblades

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    I'll reply even if not needed. This far and away the most polite, helpful, and civil site I've seen on the Internet. I've read the gadget thread you appear to be referencing and while I see unsolicited advice, it is germane and would serve to help the OP better position the invention. The OT posts in that thread were from members who took offense on behalf of the OP then felt the need to share their hurt feelings.

Please keep reading this forum, there is a wealth of information and a community that shares, helps, and inspires.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    It's easy to take offense - to interpret statements as boorish, rude, high & mighty, etc. However, most people speak from experience so they're using commonly used and sold devices, and they're following best practices that people share as part of this community.

If you want to proudly talk about your paracord hammock suspension, it's not going to go over well - who on this forum would agree that a paracord hammock suspension is a good idea? If you want to use Figure 9s with paracord as your hammock suspension, it's also not going to receive a round of applause. What about 1.75 mm Zing-It whoopie slings for hammock suspension? You'll get a couple of mavericks who love to push the limits that will encourage you, but HF has been around a long time, and the majority of people know it's not a good idea. And if you want to hang your hammock at a 5* suspension angle using devices with a 200 lb. breaking strength, then almost everyone on this forum would tell you that's not a bright thing to do.

There are some who applaud any idea - "Way to think outside the box!" - but that's not particularly helpful, in my opinion. Disagreeing with someone does not represent a lack of manners, or a high-and-mighty, holier-than-thou attitude. If you post something that is not best practice, expect to hear that from the knowledgeable members of HF.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
    Gee. There seems to be a proliferation of users on here that if your not doing something their way (suspension, tarp hanging, use of different hardware...) you are wrong and they have no trouble letting you know that. I can see if what you are doing is unsafe or could get you hurt somehow they would speak up. But it seems that they have gadget x, you advocate using gadget y (which is a perfectly acceptable substitute) and all of a sudden you are the devil incarnate and should be forced back to tent camping for your transgressions! Not so much directed at me but I see it everyday on these forums. A holier-than-thou attitude.

Has it always been like this here? Guess I should just grow a thicker skin and/or ignore boorish comments.

Let me set a modifier...98% of people on here always seem nice. It's the 2% with the high & mighty attitude that I speak of. No replies needed. Not seeking answers...just a rant.

What I'm seeing is a bunch of people new to the forums that are dead set on reinventing the wheel, and a bunch of those new people dead set on supporting them....no matter what.

I think if more of new hangers took the time to search the forum for the answers to their questions, questions we all had and found answers to when we were starting out, there would be a lot less "dissention among the ranks". Not every perceived problem is in search of a solution, most of those solutions are already out there.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    The only time I see that a bit is when some people advocate their favorite cottage vendor above all others, but i kind of view that as just brand loyalty and a desire to share your good feelings about a product with someone else. I think the tone here is pretty welcoming to new hangers, at least compared to some other sites. I won't name the one I am thinking of, but it rhymes with "shmite shmlaze"
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    It is difficult to interpret someone's tone, wit, sarcasm ect from written posts frequently typed out on a phone screen with little opportunity for proofreading.

My advice would be; if a post seems "boorish", assume you missed part of the message or mis-interpreted the sentiment.

Good day sir.... I SAID GOOD DAY!
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    What I'm seeing is a bunch of people new to the forums that are dead set on reinventing the wheel, and a bunch of those new people dead set on supporting them....no matter what.
    I wonder if I'm seen as one of those evil 2%... If so, I want to apologize for my overreach, and emphasize that anything I say is my personal experience, that I am totally 100% supportive of "Hike Your Own Hike" (or Hang Your Own Hang) idea and the only reason I am writing anything here (or anywhere else) is to offer my point of view, and share my ideas - and not so to teach anyone to anything, but rather to learn from other people experience, if my ideas are sound, or have some deficiency which I haven't noticed due to the limits of my outdoors experience.

I hope I'm not one of those 2% though

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I'm all for innovations. Most of my new ideas crash in the dust. I'll keep trying. There is great cumulative wisdom here and all of us benefit from the wisdom of the group. New ideas must be tested over time by other hammockers. Just be glad they read your post and had comments and questions and advice. Good luck and have fun out there!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast