Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Cooldays I read your post and can't help but think that not only are you having problems with your sleeping system but I also noticed that you were not really wearing clothing to keep you warm. Even though sweats can feel warm they do nothing for the body to keep it warm. Most people will tell you that Cotton will freeze and even kill you depending on the givin situation. Start looking a man made fibers like polypropylene as such.

You did say that you did put some bottom insulation under your bag that is a good start. Some will say that filling the pockets full of things will help you stay warmer and in fact it's better than nothing in the pockets.

As someone else said eating before bed is not a good thing to do at home because you really do not burn of the food but when it's cold out and you in the elements eating can help you stay warmer. Your body goes into overdrive trying to burn off what you just ate and help make you warmer.

There are all kinds of way to get you down to a lower temperature but you have to do some home work and snoop around these forums not all thing you read here will work for you but there are so many people on this forum that will help in anyway they can and you can learn allot from them.

keep up the testing as you will soon find you spot that you like the most and works the best for you.
    I remember the first Clark I owned all the trials that i went through with mine i tested in my back yard for days on end before i knew what I could do with my clark and my setup. I have since did -7 on several occasions in mine but not with out freezing my tail end off and running back into the house in a last ditch effort to get warm.

good luck on your test

Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images

thanks cavediver!

Thanks! I'll keep trying to find the safe/comfort zone. There is no question that hammocks seem "simple" but that is deceptive in the cold.

The Latest test:

25 degrees and I was warm. It just wasn't a super light setup. The Clark weather shield at ths temperature was a HUGE difference on vs off!! Makes me wonder what people do without it.

I think I can be more efficient now if I can figure how to get the UQ to conform better. The problem was at that temperature I was not too good tying small knots trying to adjust my UQ to the adjustable tie out tabs i had just bought. All the ones I had placed seemed to have untie during the night somehow

and the shock cord was too loose by itself to keep it tight against the bottom of the hammock, when I just used the shock cord tied to the hammock suspension. Part of this is because the shock cord slid so much on the hammock suspension line if I tied it inside the drip rings. If you tie it outside them your UQ will become the new "drip ring". Seems like it would be nice to have something that is like a hammock for the bottom of the hammock that you can attach to the hammock and place your underquilts pads in that will also keep it dry. (My UQ had ice on it in the am at the foot end)

Still.... I was warm all night

2 pairs of socks
    conforming polyester long long johns
    cotton sweats and poly mock turtle
    cheapo cap

My worthless 55 degree rei bag as a bag liner
    my 20 year old synthetic abused bag

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    Cooldays I read your post and can't help but think that not only are you having problems with your sleeping system but I also noticed that you were not really wearing clothing to keep you warm.
    I completely agree with you. According to cooldays last post, his most recent setup at 25* consisted of cotton sweats and a setup with a 55* bag and a 20 yr old abused synthetic bag. I don't know what his intention to use this setup is (i.e. backpacking, car camping, kayaking, etc.) but it would seem to me to be a very inefficient system. A 55* bag in 25* isn't cutting it, especially if the other synthetic bag is as used and abused as claimed. That synthetic insulation probably long ago lost most of its insulative properties. As such, he would be relying mostly on the 55* to provide most of the insulation, which would be even further negated by the cotton sweatpants as you mentioned. Some simple upgrades in these areas would GREATLY increase the insulation and warmth. For example, I slept outside last night at 25* and had only silkweight polypro underwear, Acorn fleece socks, a microfleece hat and my Golite Ultra 20 and was very toasty with warmth to spare.

Right now is a perfect time to upgrade since a lot of manufacturers and outfitters will be having massive end-of-year sales in the next several weeks. I know REI typically has theirs not long after Christmas and you can find some scorching deals then.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldays View Post
    The Clark weather shield at ths temperature was a HUGE difference on vs off!! Makes me wonder what people do without it.
    I know for a fact that it add's at least 8-10 degree's more warmth being on but remember to leave a small hole at the top so that you get rid of the condensation inside. about a 1-2 inch hole with the zipper pulls should stop that.

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    In my view wool thermals are far better than man made. they stay warm when wet, and don't smell either. I use a brand called woolpower, and also have icebreaker, and a brand called chocolate fish.

The addition of wool (200 weight) long johns and a top takes your -10 sleeping bag down to easily -25. Add thicker wool into the mix and you're pretty much set for anything assuming you're not exposed to wind (and youre certainly not in an nx-250 with a UQ or z-liner)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12