Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

diy asym hex tarp for hennessy expedition

I'm quite fond of the little asym tarp that comes with the hennessy expedition, but I feel like it could use just a little more coverage in certain areas. I took the stock hennessy asym tarp dimensions : a parallelogram that has 99" long sides and 63" short sides according to hennessy's website. It also has a 132" Ridgeline on the diagonal.

I want to add two triangle shapes, effectively changing it to an asym hex tarp. I also wanted to cut the ridgeline back to 10.5 feet. This will be a fair weather, 3 season tarp. I'm looking for advice and opinions. Would it be wise to undertake this project, or would I be better off making a more standard hex shape tarp like a wilderness logics tadpole?

On the diagram, each box is six inches.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    I have found myself justifying a "fair weather tarp" before and then I read something here that clicked. If the weather is fair, why do I need a tarp? If it turns bad, will my fair weather tarp do the job. I have since changed my ideology with tarps.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC and WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly and WD 13
    Insulation
    JRB HG AHE Lynx
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    +1, either don't need 1 or Superfly it is

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Cut the ridgeline back? That sounds like a mistake - you need every inch of coverage if you're gonna use such a skimpy tarp design. It sounds like you've done well with skimpy tarps like the HH - unfortunately, I haven't. Maybe I just go out in worse weather than most folks.

My first hammock was a Hennessy Exped Asym Zip and I had the same postage stamp asym tarp. I was the furthest thing from "fond of it," since it was only good in straight down rain. I got wet from blowing rain and didn't like it. I then bought a 10 x 10 tarp that could only be hung on a diamond, then an HH Hex. I also made an 11 ft. DIY silnylon hex.

You know what? They're all fair weather tarps, in my opinion. None of them have doors, and they don't give me much peace of mind. My favorite tarp is my HG Winter Palace with doors. I have never gotten wet, and will probably never get wet (except for blowing snow - that stuff is nasty!). If I didn't have a Winter Palace, I'd make or buy a Superfly-like design with doors.

If you need another fair-weather tarp, go for it. However, a 4-season tarp with doors is a good thing to get, eventually. If you're going to make a tarp, I'd keep seams, cuts and angles to a minimum. It's probably easier to cut and sew a hex tarp than an asym tarp. I thought about making a 4-season tarp, but chickened out and just made a hex (from Fronkey's directions).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    6x12 1.6oz Hyper D
    Tarp
    DIY Membrane 9x9
    Suspension
    Straps + Evenk
    Images
    I find that "fair weather" tarps are useful. They help keep off dew, protect from falling twigs /pine needles/etc. And they are ideal for trips where there is chance of rain for a portion of the trip, or areas that typically get more "straight down" rain, without tons of wind.

Bigger tarps with doors are ideal for snowy/windy/stormy conditions. But if I was going on a trip (especially a longer one)where weather conditions can't really be predicted, I'd be bringing this type of tarp for sure.

I've never used an aysmetrical tarp, but your design seems to make sense to me. Good luck .

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

diy asym hex tarp for hennessy expedition

I typically won't go camping if I know the weather will be nasty, nor have i gone on hiking/camping trips lasting longer than 2 or 3 nights. it rarely gets cold here in south louisiana, so fair weather tarp make good sense for me.

btw, have y'all seen the weather reports for the Gulf south this past week? (High wind , lots of rain, schools closing, etc.) I left my hennessy hanging with its stock tarp in my backyard, and it stayed mostly dry. there was some rain that got blown only on one part of the hammock. I was quite surprised! I don't know how it would have done if I was in the hammock, and there was certainly no place for gear to stay dry, but that's kind of why I'm fond of that little asym tarp.

• + New Posts