DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    I think it depends on what you really want out of your hammock and how important weight is to you. I'm 5'10" and a 12' x 60" is comfortable for me if I don't use a zip-on net or overcover. But as soon as a net/cover goes on, the tension on the sidewall gives me pressure on the outside of my foot and drastically reduces the comfort of the hammock. But I"m willing to trade that for a few ounces of savings - since I rarely use my overcover except in winter when carrying weight is less of an issue (either short distances to camp or a pulk) and only use my net a few times a year.

But if I were mostly car camping or backpacking mostly on flat ground and shorter trips, I'd go 72" in a heartbeat - for someone your height I'm convinced it would be more comfortable.

I have the knotty mod on my Dutch 11' - but that's mainly because my 11 year-old uses sometimes it and she's only 5' tall so it helps keep flappy fabric out of her face. But I agree w/ SilvrSurfr - I've never had any trouble with stuff falling out of my hammock without one (my Dream Hammock w/o covers) and neither have my friends who have tried borrowing my Dutch. Unless you know you need it, I think you could safely skip it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    The wider the better it always pays off to be comfortable
    Bacon and Camping makes me happy.

"When life gives you lemons throw them back"
    Me

I camp in bear country and I am a bear Burrito.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The best thing to do would be to get both widths and see which one you like better, since nobody will be able to tell you what's best for you - only what's best for the.

I have made a lot of hammocks with different widths and lengths, and for my stay-at-home hammocks I really like the extra width. I can hang x-wide hammocks with a bit more sag and go more diagonal. But I can be very comfortable in a 60" hammock, too. I don't know what the weight difference is, but I would probably take the lightest hammock I'm still comfortable in for hiking.

Hammock
    BIAS Camper DL
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Still trying to decide, but this helps.

Hammock
    BIAS Camper DL
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Well I did it. Pulled the trigger on a Hexon 1.6 W in charcoal grey.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    Interesting discussion, I am curious how the Hexon 1.6 W will work for you Bobb871.

In my humble opinion the acid test is "how it feels to the individual". For me I like less fabric, when I was a new Hanger, I wanted to feel cocooned, now I really hate the feeling of being surrounded and enclosed. Prime example of taste changing with experience. It seems like we each have our own needs, problem is we do not know what we need-like until we find it. Guess that is why so many members have several hammocks.

Hammock
    DblW Hexon/Chameleon/Half-Wit/NX270
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps w/BeetleBuk
    I have a Hexon 2.4 single layer, a Half Wit of Hexon 1.6, and a double layer Hexon 1.6 W.

For backpacking I'd probably stick with the half wit (for bug net & weight), however for car camping or in the yard I'd never not lay in the 1.6 W.

As far as the Knotty Mod goes, I continue to get them, but have never really figured out how they benefit me. I've certainly read and seen people's stories and pictures, but for me they don't add much.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon W 1.6
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator E 10°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Have you slept in yours with a top quilt or a bunch of blankets? Stuff tends to spill out by the feet, but I find cinching down the "foot side" of a diagonal lay helps control both the hammock fabric and gear substantially.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bartdelatte View Post
    ...As far as the Knotty Mod goes, I continue to get them, but have never really figured out how they benefit me. I've certainly read and seen people's stories and pictures, but for me they don't add much.
    Have you tried going back and forth with mod tightened and fully loosened? I diid this a few days ago and found i def prefer the mod than not.

Hammock
    DblW Hexon/Chameleon/Half-Wit/NX270
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps w/BeetleBuk
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    Have you tried going back and forth with mod tightened and fully loosened? I diid this a few days ago and found i def prefer the mod than not.
    I've extensively gone back and forth, trying to tell the difference. I'm not saying there isn't a difference, but for me it's not much. I agree that it might prevent things from falling out a little, but if that's the reason for it (which I don't think that's why it was developed, rather foot box & droop) why not run it down the entire side of the hammock?
    I'm not knocking it, but I think for me it's almost a "get all the options" rather than "I have a real need for that". Again. just me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast