Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatBigDave View Post
    The stand comes with guy lines and stakes which are plenty to secure the stand itself. An unloaded hammock turned spinnaker would likely pull those stakes. Add a tarp staked out and it feels quite solid and blocks the wind from filling the hammock. Add yourself to the hammock and it's solid. Wind strong enough to blow it over staked, tarped, and loaded are a strong indicator that its time to seek shelter in a car or building or bunker.
    Ok ok a little too much tongue in cheek with my response.

I use a set of larger tent stakes to avoid the spinaker issue. Think 10p nail or those Coleman stakes. Gonna take a nice gust to rip those out.

Under similar conditions that might blow a staked out Tato stand over, that Tensa4 will be a tumbleweed.

If I still had my Tato I would put it up this weekend and see what 20mph winds do to it when the stock stakes are in sugar sand.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    TensaStand,Webbing
    Thanks to all for your responses. I have no experience with either. Trying to compare accurate facts and weigh real risks. This takes care of the biggest negative I have heard.
    Thanks again for the rapid response

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    Ok ok a little too much tongue in cheek with my response. We cross posted - I hadn't seen yours when I posted - No offense intended.

I use a set of larger tent stakes to avoid the spinaker issue. Think 10p nail or those Coleman stakes. Gonna take a nice gust to rip those out.

Under similar conditions that might blow a staked out Tato stand over, that Tensa4 will be a tumbleweed. I haven't seen it but I'd bet that an unloaded Tensa 4 staked only at the head would taco then pop parachute like a dragster - Sounds fun!

If I still had my Tato I would put it up this weekend and see what 20mph winds do to it when the stock stakes are in sugar sand. Maybe I'll bring mine and ENO. ... If somebody will help me chase it and promise not to mock me. - 44mph gusts!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The stand comes with guy lines and stakes which are plenty to secure the stand itself. An unloaded hammock turned spinnaker would likely pull those stakes. Add a tarp staked out and it feels quite solid and blocks the wind from filling the hammock. Add yourself to the hammock and it's solid. Wind strong enough to blow it over staked, tarped, and loaded are a strong indicator that its time to seek shelter in a car or building or bunker.
    I have had my Hammeck stand which is pretty heavy blow over in strong winds with a hammock as a sail and also with a full hammock and tarp set-up. So I spread the legs wider and turned it into the wind.
    Had the Tensa4 in my backyard for a spell now set up with just a hammock to see if it blows over. Staked at foot and head tether. So far no blow down but time will tell.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I have had my Hammeck stand which is pretty heavy blow over in strong winds with a hammock as a sail and also with a full hammock and tarp set-up. So I spread the legs wider and turned it into the wind.
    Had the Tensa4 in my backyard for a spell now set up with just a hammock to see if it blows over. Staked at foot and head tether. So far no blow down but time will tell.
    Shug
    I'd imagine that a Tensa 4 with both ends tethered to those orange screws would be hard to topple.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Keno54 View Post
    I have seen some comparisons to a Tensa 4 where they warn that the Tato Gear stand is unsafe in windy conditions and will blow over easily.

Is that the case? If so, how do you folks neutralize that risk?
    This is only if you aren't in the hammock and if you aren't using a tarp. I've used mine in 40 mph winds and while I wasn't having the best time the stand didn't move an inch plus I've never staked mine down. I always have the tarp up and staked so that's been more than enough to hold mine in place and I've left it hanging for a few days at a time.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    TensaStand,Webbing
    Again, thanks to all for your input. Very helpful.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    I'd imagine that a Tensa 4 with both ends tethered to those orange screws would be hard to topple.
    I’m thinking this is the case with any stand: if in doubt, stake. It is a benefit of the Tato and other turtle types that they do not require any staking, while a tensahedron requires 1 anchor at minimum. Wind turns the benefit into a liability, and the requirement into plain sense. While lighter overall, and thus easier for a spinnaker to topple, a tensahedron has a lower center of gravity lacking ridgepole, and typically a wider stance (~6’) than most tripod bases i’ve seen.

I’ve slept in the Tensa4 with well-staked winter tarp in winds so strong, earplugs to block the roar, that the load on the tarp would pull the apexes together in gusts, dandling me up and down in the hammock. I could have guyed the head end with tension to prevent, but figure a little movement is good, willow versus oak.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 11-02-2018 at 16:09.

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Keno54 View Post
    I have seen some comparisons to a Tensa 4 where they warn that the Tato Gear stand is unsafe in windy conditions and will blow over easily.

Is that the case? If so, how do you folks neutralize that risk?
    This was a warning on the instructions that came with my TATO Gear stand. Certainly there are ways to mitigate various amounts of wind. I imagine it would take a decent amount of wind (I mean more than the 20-25mph stuff I’ve encountered while camping and choosing not to deploy my stand) to blow the stand over when loaded with my carcass. It’s for when it’s not loaded that I most tend to err on the side of caution.

It takes only a single mild unanticipated gust of wind in otherwise calm conditions to blow it over (Unoccupied) if you don’t stake it out or anchor it with a tarp— so I’d recommend anchoring it as a general rule. Happened to me this weekend— learn From my mistake
    Last edited by sloanie; 11-02-2018 at 14:37.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    TensaStand,Webbing
    It is beginning to look like my chances of winning the lottery are better than my chances of getting one of these stands.

Tato - is there a likelihood that the stands will become available on a reliable and commercially reasonable basis?

• + New Posts
  • Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast