Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird, 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream,
    Insulation
    Klymit Hammock V
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle Strap
    Neck pain often means that the neck needs supported. Grab a towel, jacket, whatever and play with wadding it up and putting it under your neck. Many people find that the horseshoe shape neck/travel pillows are the perfect thing for getting a pain free night of sleep in a hammock.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seaniccus View Post
    ...I'm really sad to let this go for now, but considering my situation, I think it's probably the best option
    Understood, just not the right time. What you might try doing in the meantime is get a cheap hammock and start using it as you can - not camping, just laying in it, getting used to the feel. Take it along camping and maybe even overnite in it when its just so hot you can't stand the tent. There are other options to deal with bugs IF they are a problem, so just a cheap open hammock will do. Experiment with underinsulation as you can. If the hammock camping thing is right for you, the right hammock will present itself.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    What you might try doing in the meantime is get a cheap hammock and start using it as you can - not camping, just laying in it, getting used to the feel.
    I was thinking about this! If I have the extra room in my bag before we leave, i was thinking about getting a cheaper nylon hammock just to have with me for the odd warm night for for afternoon naps. Something like this maybe: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=3400811

I'm pretty bummed I couldn't make it work, but it could just be the wrong hammock at the wrong time. Glad I found this community, in any case. Thanks for all the help!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'd suggest a Dutch 11 ft. hammock for $38. Add a Whoopie Hook suspension for another $39, then you could add a Fronkey Bugnet for $57 and you've only spent $135. Then you can add an HH Hex ($70) and a Jarbidge UQ ($100) and all you have to worry about is top insulation.

There are other tarps that weigh much less than the HH Hex for $85 to $95.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I need a small pillow to support my neck in the hammock. It might just be as simple as that.

It took me a few nights to get comfortable in my Hennessy (Expedition, fits me fine and I'm 6'0" tall). Aim for a 25-30 degree angle on the suspension (I use the compass app in iOS that has a spirit level). That's really all I need to get asym lie without any tension spots in the hammock bed.

That said, bringing a pad into a hammock changes the entire dynamic as now there are pointy parts where there are really meant to be and can change the comfort level. This is where the super shelter or an underquilt really show their true value.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345