DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I did a mock-up. Not to scale and the ends arent backspliced.

There are a couple issues I see, but want to make sure this is what you are talking about.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    I did a mock-up. Not to scale and the ends arent backspliced.

There are a couple issues I see, but want to make sure this is what you are talking about.
    That is it indeed. The only thing I had envisioned differently was the loop at the hammock end of the tails. I was thinking of directly tying them to the gathered ends of the hammock. Otherwise you have it exactly.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
    That is it indeed. The only thing I had envisioned differently was the loop at the hammock end of the tails. I was thinking of directly tying them to the gathered ends of the hammock. Otherwise you have it exactly.
    Yes... And that is one of the issues. IN order in incorporate the hammock into the system, Unless you are going to do the splicing yourself....the hammock needs to be in hand. I have my hammock built into the fixed eye. I guess you could larks head it....

The other issue is the ridgeline isnt really functional. As you string up your suspension and pull it tight, the only thing stopping it will be the hammock. Unless you pull it tight, and then you arent getting even close to the 30 degree angle for your suspension ropes.

I may be wrong... But the ridgeline needs to be fixed. Even if its adjustable, it needs to remain the same length each time you string it up. So as you pull your suspension rope to the optimum height, the sag in the hammock remains the same.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    Yes... And that is one of the issues. IN order in incorporate the hammock into the system, Unless you are going to do the splicing yourself....the hammock needs to be in hand. I have my hammock built into the fixed eye. I guess you could larks head it....
    I had not envisioned it as something to distribute apart from a hammock. Although I suppose you could so long as you included instructions for tying the larks head.

The other issue is the ridgeline isnt really functional. As you string up your suspension and pull it tight, the only thing stopping it will be the hammock. Unless you pull it tight, and then you arent getting even close to the 30 degree angle for your suspension ropes.

I may be wrong... But the ridgeline needs to be fixed. Even if its adjustable, it needs to remain the same length each time you string it up. So as you pull your suspension rope to the optimum height, the sag in the hammock remains the same.
    I must be missing something here. While the tails can travel along the ridge line, it would seem like the position of the tails along the ridge line should be fairly stable. The only difference I see is that the hammock is fixed to the ridge line several inches out from each end rather than at the ends. But it seems to me that it should still provide a fixed spacing between the hang points of the hammock, so long as the tail splices are not adjusted.

BTW, thanks for building up the mock-up.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I had not envisioned it as something to distribute apart from a hammock. Although I suppose you could so long as you included instructions for tying the larks head.
    I meant physically attaching the loop on the constrictor to your hammock. I got to thinking about it and it would be possible to do a simple larks head to the hammock. I dont know why I was thinking otherwise.

You can see an example af attaching the fixed eye to a hammock in my youtube channel link in my sig.

I must be missing something here. While the tails can travel along the ridge line, it would seem like the position of the tails along the ridge line should be fairly stable. The only difference I see is that the hammock is fixed to the ridge line several inches out from each end rather than at the ends. But it seems to me that it should still provide a fixed spacing between the hang points of the hammock, so long as the tail splices are not adjusted.
    Nope... I missed it. As usual I didnt make the connection.

There are a couple things going on at the same time and it took me lying in bed waiting to get to sleep to sort it out.

I think it would work.

BTW, thanks for building up the mock-up.
    My pleasure.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    OldMan... Ill do a full scale mock up and test it out tomorrow. Im 265 pounds so it should be a good test.

If you had a choice of colors in rope, what would they be? Red, Green, or Grey?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    I meant physically attaching the loop on the constrictor to your hammock. I got to thinking about it and it would be possible to do a simple larks head to the hammock. I dont know why I was thinking otherwise.

You can see an example af attaching the fixed eye to a hammock in my youtube channel link in my sig.
    Cool! I didn't realize that's what a lark's head was. I was expecting some kind of exotic knot; not something I use all the time. I had wondered if you would be able to connect via the hammock end channel. Looks like you can. Thanks.

Nope... I missed it. As usual I didnt make the connection.

There are a couple things going on at the same time and it took me lying in bed waiting to get to sleep to sort it out.

I think it would work.
    Cool! Maybe I will try it sometime once I have accumulated enough stuff. I have some ampsteel ordered, although it is on backorder now.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    OldMan... Ill do a full scale mock up and test it out tomorrow. Im 265 pounds so it should be a good test.

If you had a choice of colors in rope, what would they be? Red, Green, or Grey?
    Hope it works out. Other than wrapping a bug screen around it, it seems like it should work OK. Assuming that the tails don't slip on the ridge line when not under any weight load.

Would also seem like this configuration would allow you to slide the hammock back and forth a bit to level it out, at least within the limits imposed by the woopie slings at the ends of the ridge line. Not having hung beyond my backyard and basement so far, I don't know if that would be common or not.

I would probably go with Grey.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12