Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    TTTM Double
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps

Review of Mountain Wilderness Gear

So I was browsing the hammockforums and came across this thread pertaining to the company. Never heard of the company but started looking through comments and it seemed like this guy has made quite a reputation.

I saw he didn't have an up and running website and I was a little confused. He ran a list of the products he was selling from his facebook page via status'. He took orders through messages, a little sketchy. I thought I'd send him a message pertaining to me wanting a lighter tarp.

I messaged him just saying I wanted a lighter tarp and asked him what he could do for me. Within minutes he responded. He asked me what size tarp, what weight I wanted, what cut, and all that jazz. I really didn't know much information about the tarp I have (Yukon Outfitters Walkabout Rainfly), but I showed him the amazon link and he got all the information.

He asked if I wanted a hex shape and I responded with I didn't really know the difference between the shapes. He actually showed me a sketch of what he was going to make me. A simple sketch, but the fact that he went out of his way to show me was really nice.

He then gave me a breakdown of the weight and asked me if I'd like to add a little of weight by using grosgrain or if I wanted to simply do tie-outs and stay as light as possible. I opted to do the tie outs.

He then gave me the name of the material he used and let me go to the website and pick out the color I wanted. I picked the forest green.

I was sold right off the premise of the personal attention he gave me. I messaged him and within 30 minutes, I had an order placed for a tarp that I practically designed. I talked to a person and that really means something.

The price he quoted me really wasn't too bad for a 9 ounce tarp. About half the price of a cuben fiber but only 2 ounces heavier, really worth it.

This guy really rocks. I haven't received the tarp yet but he said it should be about two weeks. Everything is built to order as he orders the material as he needs them. Just the customer service alone makes this guy rock.

Go to his facebook and order from him! Definitely a cottage vendor that deserves a bit more attention.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    undecided
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the tip. Mind if I ask what the tarp cost? And what is the size and weight? Curious how it compares with some of the other popular tarps.

Hammock
    TTTM Double
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps
    I paid $110 for it, shipped.
    Weight, 9 ounces. Size, 11x9.

It's a bit more, but Charlie rocks. He's worth the price. He will sit down and design the exact tarp you want.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    undecided
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Poolsocks View Post
    I paid $110 for it, shipped.
    Weight, 9 ounces. Size, 11x9.

It's a bit more, but Charlie rocks. He's worth the price. He will sit down and design the exact tarp you want.
    Impressive. I will definitely keep them in mind when I am ready for a new tarp.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poolsocks View Post
    The price he quoted me really wasn't too bad for a 9 ounce tarp. About half the price of a cuben fiber but only 2 ounces heavier, really worth it.
    Glad to hear you had a good experience, but I seriously doubt your tarp is only two ounces heavier than a similarly-sized cuben fiber tarp. I have an HG Winter Palace (11' x 10'4") and it weighs 8.6 ounces. A similarly-sized silnylon Warbonnet Superfly would weigh 19.1 ounces, or nearly 50% more.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    TTTM Double
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps
    This is the weight that he quoted me.
    This is the material he uses http://ripstopbytheroll.com/products...silpoly-pu4000 .

When I get it, I'll weigh it but I trust the guy.

He did quote me at 9-10 oz.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    I hope your experience is a lot better than mine. The ordering process was fantastic. Exactly like you described. The next three months consisted of a string of promises, excuses, and throwing RSBTR under the bus (would that be a fleet of buses when it kept happening).

Again, I wish you luck, but I am certainly once-bitten twice shy with this company.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Bearded Hanger
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    LLG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    I'm not sure how a tarp that is 11 Sq ft can weigh 9-10 oz using 1.1 oz fabric. Doesn't add up. Fabric alone would be 12.1 oz.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC Double Multicam
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12/ MWG Mons
    Insulation
    ZPacks/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    If it was rectangular that's 11 yds^2 of fabric, but it's hex cut so more like 8-9 actually in the tarp. My gen 1 Monster tarp from him is right at 10x13 (~14.5 yds^2) and weighs 20 oz. rigged. I'd say 9 oz is pretty close. He's made quite a few, I'd say he knows what they weigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    I hope your experience is a lot better than mine. The ordering process was fantastic. Exactly like you described. The next three months consisted of a string of promises, excuses, and throwing RSBTR under the bus (would that be a fleet of buses when it kept happening).

Again, I wish you luck, but I am certainly once-bitten twice shy with this company.
    Maybe you were dealing with him while he had troubles with his partner. I ordered a monster tarp from him with no problems at all and plan on ordering some snake skins when he gets the OD in stock

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast