Thread: 23* and warm

23* and warm

Just got back from two nights on the rim. Temps down to 23* stayed pretty warm but must upgrade to UQ and OQ. 30 yr old sleeping bag hung under WBBB and CCF inside with a fleece blanket and a Goodwill down blanket. Down blanket is 60% under stuffed! slept in socks,long johns and stocking cap. Life is good.

Hammock
    HH Exp A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH 70D "HEX" PU
    Thanks for the quick review, but 3 questions.

1. What kind of foam pad
    2. Was the old bag down?
    3. Why "Upgrade" to UQ and OQ?

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Welcome fellow Arizonian! Where did you hang and did you see any snow? We've got snow now in Flagstaff and the nights are dropping to the teens---brrr! I've been using a torso-size CCF pad and pulled my down bag over my hammock and been warm down to 28°F.

Do you have any photos to share?

Well I wish I could remember the brand of pad but it is black and I ordered it in bulk it is 3/8". I got the link from the pad section but couldn't find it. I'm sure someone remembers it. The old SB is hollow fill from 1978 and has been compressed since 1981. Upgrade because it looks easier and I know it would be warmer. I just don't have the $$ to buy all the gear I want. We went outside of Pine, AZ. Yes we had rain, snow, hale, and more hale. I wouldn't change a thing it was all good. I do have photos but need to get them uploaded.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    One thing that may get missed when we use an underquilt under a CCF pad. With just an under quilt, the down warms up because it is essentially next to your body. But with a CCF pad between you and the under quilt, there is no down next to your body to absorb and hold and give back the warmth to you. With the pad in between, you do get more insulation, but it isn't like having just an underquilt. If the UQ is lofty enough, you feel as though the quilt is handing your warmth back to you. With the CCF next to your body, you get insulation, perhaps perspiration, and no residual warmth. Just my 2 cents.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Mule you are correct but my SB isn't down and I didn't think it would perform down to 23*. I will be getting an upgrade to an UQ/OQ design as soon as my Obama money comes it.

• + New Posts