DH Thunderbird; Old Hennessys
    Tarp
    HG Cuben; MacCat
    Insulation
    JRB top & bottom
    Suspension
    hammock anchor;UCR

soil compaction at Wonderland Trail back-country campsites

What is for me the greatest advantage of hammock hiking -- being able to set up your shelter almost anywhere -- doesn't apply in the National Parks, where you must camp at designated backcountry campsites. But getting off the ground can be extra important at these campsites, since heavy use has often compacted the soil so badly that an impermeable depression is formed that can fill up with several inches of water (enough to overtop the "bathtub floor" of a tent) when it rains hard. Then you really could be in a (filled) bathtub, along with your sleeping gear.

I prefer a hammock, my GF prefers a tent, and we are hiking the Wonderland trail this summer (if we get a permit). I'm hoping to get some info/advice from folks on this forum concerning compaction of soil at backcountry campsites on the Wonderland Trail. Is it so bad that I should convinced the GF to go with a hammock?

Yeah, I know I should be working on her to use a hammock anyway. . . but can I make an honest, legitimate case that she stands a good chance of getting soaked if she sticks with her tent?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

Hammock
    1.1 DL XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Some friends and I are planning on going in August and were bummed to hear that they aren't issuing any permits, all 1st-come 1st-serve this year. Might do a stretch of the PNT as an alternate. But I'd also be interested to hear about this trail and how hammock-friendly the campsites are

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have been to one hang where the only person who got wet during a toad strangler was the one person using a tent. Her trail names is now Soggy
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC double 1.1
    Tarp
    HG cuben tarp camo
    Insulation
    RevX 30, 1/8 foam
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Having both ground camped and hung quite a bit, I am not convinced one is much less impactful than the other. Setting up with my tarp and pad, I don't make a significant impact on the ground, if I choose a good spot. With a hammock, I may not be sleeping on the ground, but I do still tread the ground while setting up, which creates some impact. Also sometimes I can see that my straps have made an indentation on the bark if it is soft from rain or something.

So like I said, I don't think that ground camping is necessarily more impactful.

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    You will get a permit. In the past, I had no problem getting one as a walk in without a res.

Your GF will probably be ok if you choose a less-than-level site, from which rainfall can drain (vs a level site), tho sometimes if you get the last site at a designated camp, you get what you get.

I ground camped the WT in 2013, and don't recall that all the designated sites were hang friendly. Still, most sites have plenty of trees close enough. The best part of the designated sites is the poles from which you can hang food to avert bear raids--at least use that.

BTW, the commodes are absolutely the best that I've ever used for the their views, etc. Sunrise had outhouses, but that was great for a cold camp.

Have a great hike!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben; MacCat
    Insulation
    JRB top & bottom
    Suspension
    hammock anchor;UCR
    [QUOTE=kayak4water;1617433]You will get a permit. In the past, I had no problem getting one as a walk in without a res.

Well, we panicked when we got the news, and decided to postpone the Wonderland Trail to next summer, when they should have their reservations system worked out. Instead, we'll be doing two weeks of sea kayaking/backpacking in Gros Morne NP in Newfoundland. Some really different scenery for us!

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by JEB View Post
    set up your shelter almost anywhere -- doesn't apply in the National Parks, where you must camp at designated backcountry campsites
    Is this accurate? I was using this map to assist in planning a trip:
    https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvis...-and-Zones.pdf

My understanding was if you follow the rules (1/4 mile away from trails, roads (and water?)) you could at check in register for a specific wilderness camping zone (not a specific site) according to capacity listed on the map. So on the map the Rangers would let only two parties register for using zone XDEA but zone XLCR is unlimited (both located at top right of map for illustration purposes)?

I have a trip in June where I am unsure what time I will arrive at the park. My intent is to plan for a designated site (if available) but plan the trip so my entrance to park is close enough to an unlimited zone so as I am hiking in I have the option of establishing camp 1/4 mile off the trail sooner if a particular view inspires me to do so.

I have never been there. Was getting advice from a NW Hiker forum that pointed me to above map. Over here in NY in the Adirondacks it is similar. Designated sites are great; off-site camping is ok following a similar away from trail rule. Good luck finding a tent site but hammock sites are all over. That is a big reason why I am getting off the ground.

I think the original poster has made other plans for this year but they may appreciate clarification if someone with experience can add some thoughts.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewStenger View Post
    Having both ground camped and hung quite a bit, I am not convinced one is much less impactful than the other. Setting up with my tarp and pad, I don't make a significant impact on the ground, if I choose a good spot. With a hammock, I may not be sleeping on the ground, but I do still tread the ground while setting up, which creates some impact. Also sometimes I can see that my straps have made an indentation on the bark if it is soft from rain or something.

So like I said, I don't think that ground camping is necessarily more impactful.
    I agree. When in a tent, that whole footprint isn't "beating down" the ground. It's actually covering and protecting any natural coverings in a sense (leaves, pine needles, etc). In my hammock, I'm constantly stomping and kicking that stuff around setting up, adjusting things and simply getting in and out. One doesn't seem to be much worse than the other. I'd call them about the same; slight advantage to the tent but hardly worth mentioning.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben; MacCat
    Insulation
    JRB top & bottom
    Suspension
    hammock anchor;UCR
    Thanks so much for your post, Stryder. I will be looking much more carefully into Wilderness camping ZONE permits -- which I had thought were designed for climbers/mountaineers, and restricted to that kind of use. It would really open things up if I am wrong.

I am getting back to the National Parks after some 30 yrs of backpacking mainly in National Forests -- where the camping rules are usually what you have in the Adirondacks. Restrictions on back-country activity in the Parks and enforcement or the restrictions seem to be increasing. Protections efforts seem to be greatest in the most popular areas (and Wonderland Trail sure is popular). I see the need to protect these areas from the pressures of popularity, even though it reduces what you & I think of as a great (the greatest?) advantage of hammocking: the ease of finding a reasonable campsite. If Wilderness Zone permits can be had for backpacking the Wonderland Trail, this would be terrific.

Thanks again for your post.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    My trip is coming up, so this is pretty important to me. I phoned park and spoke with Ranger. The zones seem to work as was described to me. Ranger did not wish to go into detailed explanation - was very much stressing that as long as you have a little bit of flexibility in your itinerary they can accommodate you. Only time when they could not make it work for someone that he could recall was when hiker had strict schedule - needed to be at that location at that date. My date is not flexible, but where I go, hike, sleep is so I feel better.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast