Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
    I'm not sure that the whipping is supporting the weight here. To me it seems that the whipping does not "see" any of the weight.
    Try replacing the whipping with a single loose wrap around the hammock, tied by a shoe-string knot. Sit in it and see if the hammock slides out of the string. Then tell me what supports the weight in the hammock.

You could probably get the whipping tight enough to hold well enough for this application...just isn't the best knot for this purpose, IMO.

As far as the ridgeline, I think it's the same issue - it'll work, but you're replacing a simple and functional solution with a more complicated one that doesn't offer any advantage.

But seriously - this kind of thinking outside the box is what leads to solutions to other problems. That's the beauty of forums...even if no one uses this idea for the purpose you posted, you still shared it and it might spur someone's creativity into finding another good use for it. So please don't take my comments (or anyone's above, if I can speak for them) as criticism, and please don't be hesitant to post other ideas even if it's just a half-baked idea. Everything contributes.

And if you find that this system works for you, then by all means ignore us and keep using it!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by teblum View Post
    the knot referred to as "Sheeps bend" is, I believe, actually a Sheet Bend.

The how to is here
    http://www.tollesburysc.co.uk/Knots/Sheet_bend.htm

I love it for hammock ends.

But, I am a minority on this forum. Most prefer Whipping

Tom
    you're right tom... i'm always mispronouncing stuff that's why i say i'm going to "warsh up" or "brush my teefh"
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaqui Hiker View Post
    .You can see the end knots in the (hopefully) attached picture, taken last week in Aravaipa Canyon, AZ. ..
    yaqui hiker... are you part of the arizona hiking group? i've never been there but used to read posts & check out a few pictures from others out that way (like hikingrl) from another group.
    fascinating place! a hammocker would probably need to be more creative out there to keep off the ground though.
    welcome to the group. ...tim

Arizona Hiking

Slowhike,
    Not sure what hiking group you are referring to, but I'm not a member, in any case. Do most of my hiking solo ultralight, mostly because I'm not a member of any group....(circular humor).

I've got a HH, and have used it in buggy places like the Boundary Waters in northern Minnesota, but here in AZ all the bugs crawl on the ground, so you don't usually need a net, and I prefer the open access you don't get with a HH. Mine's also lighter and a bit more compact, plus I have the satisfaction of using something I made myself.

Since a few members liked the background, I've attached a couple of other landscapes from Aravaipa Canyon--not hammock shots though. Sorry if it's too off topic. I'd throw in more, but I don't know how to post them to a web site---any suggestions, other than attachments?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    yep, i would rather not use a net either.
    as beautiful as those places are, they try to keep us pretty tightly focused on hammocks here. other wise we would end up having to wade through a lot of other stuff to find what we wanted to find here... hammock info
    if you have pictures stored somewhere like photobucket, a link to there should be fine.

Images
    Welcome Boondock!
    Nice to have you here. Dont you know that the word boondock originated from "bondok" a Filipino word for jungle or wilderness. Anyway, Im sure you love the outdoors as your username suggests.

The picture you posted looksnice and is very similar to my original method of whipping and tying the hammock ends (minus the tube). I've abandoned that method however because it ate up some precious inches off the hammock length. As of this moment my prefered method is a simple W gathering and whipping. A lark's head knot secures the hammock ends to the suspension rope and a drip line prevents rain water from running down my hammock. I find your method unique but bulky though. Does it really stop the rainwater from running into your hammock?

Salamat rptinker, yes I did. The Tagalog word "bundok" came into the American lexicon after WW2 from US military personel. Its a rare example of a common slang word with Filipino origins.

In the US, the work boondock means - a remote, inaccessible place.
    Last edited by Boondock; 06-03-2007 at 21:05.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
    Salamat rptinker, yes I did. The Tagalog word "bundok" came into the American lexicon after WW2 from US military personel. Its a rare example of a common slang word with Filipino origins.

In the US, the work boondock means - a remote, inaccessible place.
    Nice to have you in the Forum Boondock!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12