Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Alternate knot for suspension

Hello, I am new to this forum (this is my first post). A few weeks ago, I got interested in hammocks for a long distance bike ride.

When I started reading the forums here, I found so many folks doing the DIY thing, that I figured I'd give it a try.

I purchased the nylon, hemmed and gathered and whipped the ends. I did a test hang, and it worked fine, but it just seemed to be a little "under-engineered".

I read a couple of people's posts where they mention a failure, so I started brain-storming a different way to tie off the hammock to the suspension

I used a small section of PVC pipe (1'' diameter) and wrapped the gathered end around it, then whipped it. I am not sure if this configuration is stronger, but it "looks" stronger.

After I made it, and then was hanging in it, I was thinking that it might also reduce a rain soaked suspension line from bringing water to the hammock bed (the nylon).

I've tested the hammock for a couple of hours, and there was no slipping.

Here's a picture... What do you think?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    that looks great boondock (& welcome to the group), but the few times people that have had a failure where the hammock support attaches to the hammock, i believe they have been able to figure out the cause.
    most of us haven't had a problem there.
    the two most popular ways to make that attachment seem to be
    1)...a larks head attaching the support to the hammock
    2)...a sheep bend in the end of the hammock fabric w/ the support passing through.
    i believe as you continue to experiment, you'll find that the pipe is heavier, bulkier, & just not necessary.
    but i can tell you've got the DIY bug & you'll be coming up w/ plenty of good ideas. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
    Here's a picture... What do you think?
    I think that's really quite clever, Boondock! I like new solutions that are 'outside the box'.

If you should want to try yet another idea, Mobiltoy's post here about the grommet method is another way that is quite clean looking, and strong.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looks like it will work, as long as you keep an eye on the webbing to make sure the PVC isn't abrading it.

One note, though - you're relying entirely on the whipping for supporting your load, and whipping isn't really designed for supporting loads. Whipping is usually used to hold things together, for example a gathered hammock or to keep a line from unraveling. The larkshead, by contrast, tightens itself around the hammock as you load it...so it's not likely to fail.

Not everyone prefers the larkshead, but I don't think anyone has had one fail. Someone used a rope that was too small and it started abrading the fabric...don't remember who that was, but I think they noticed it and changed ropes before it actually failed.

That's a clever design, but I agree with slowhike - I think you'll find it unnecessary in the end. Might be another good application for it, though...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your thoughts.

I'm not sure I will keep this design. I really just wanted to share the idea.

One note, though - you're relying entirely on the whipping for supporting your load, and whipping isn't really designed for supporting loads. Whipping is usually used to hold things together, for example a gathered hammock or to keep a line from unraveling. The larkshead, by contrast, tightens itself around the hammock as you load it...so it's not likely to fail.
    hmmm, this really got me thinking. I'm not sure that the whipping is supporting the weight here. To me it seems that the whipping does not "see" any of the weight. If the hammock has 200 pounds in it or empty, it the same to the whipping. I might be wrong however.

The weight is felt by the nylon hammock bed around the pvc. The whipping is soley to anchor the two side of the gathered fabric.

The whipping cannot slip off the end (because of the PVC pipe. The only way for it to fail, is for the end of the nylon to slip under the whipping. But that will be difficult because I folded the end of the nylon about 6 times and then hemmed it, to provide bulk, so it would not slip under the whipping.

When I was whipping, I made a "toggle" or "handle" from a piece of PVC and put a loop in the whipping cord, so that I could really apply some torque. The knot I used to secure the whipping is double-blind (exact same knot used in making fishing rods, to secure a guide to a fishing rod blank)

here's another question, since Just Jeff mentioned that it "Might be another good application"

Is the PVC in a good position to make a ridgeline?

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    the knot referred to as "Sheeps bend" is, I believe, actually a Sheet Bend.

The how to is here
    http://www.tollesburysc.co.uk/Knots/Sheet_bend.htm

I love it for hammock ends.

But, I am a minority on this forum. Most prefer Whipping

Tom
    Last edited by Grinder; 06-03-2007 at 08:37. Reason: spelling

Alternate Knot

Very interesting, neat tie, but I have to agree with Slowhiker in that you're fixing something that's not broken. I made myself a Speer type hammock, with $1.00 yard Wally nylon, and the knots at the end haven't slipped a bit. I weigh 210 lbs, and I'm not particularly gentle with the hammock, but haven't had any slippage problems.

You can see the end knots in the (hopefully) attached picture, taken last week in Aravaipa Canyon, AZ. I used poly webbing (from Ed Speer) sewn up to the hammock end knot, with two descender rings in the strap for easy adjustment. Works great for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaqui Hiker View Post
    Very interesting, neat tie, but I have to agree with Slowhiker in that you're fixing something that's not broken. I made myself a Speer type hammock, with $1.00 yard Wally nylon, and the knots at the end haven't slipped a bit. I weigh 210 lbs, and I'm not particularly gentle with the hammock, but haven't had any slippage problems.

You can see the end knots in the (hopefully) attached picture, taken last week in Aravaipa Canyon, AZ. I used poly webbing (from Ed Speer) sewn up to the hammock end knot, with two descender rings in the strap for easy adjustment. Works great for me.
    Welcome to the forum Yaqui Hiker.
    That's a cool looking spot your hanging from. Man that's one huge rock cliff in the background.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Welcome to the forum Yaqui Hiker.
    That's a cool looking spot your hanging from. Man that's one huge rock cliff in the background.
    I agree and don't hesitate to post more pics in the album section. We love checking out other people's rigs.

Miguel

wow Yaqui_Hiker, that is a fantastic place. It's so different from the landscape where I live (in western Washington state). I do love Arizona, particularly the North Rim Grand Canyon.

Right now my hammock has one end with a traditional whipped ends and suspended with a lark's head, and the other end has the PVC pipe. I will keep it like that for a while.

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, but I do like to experiment.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast