WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies

Ogee tarp question

The Rube Goldberg thread got me thinking about the Ogee tarp design. I am curious from those who have used it, will it keep you dry in a gully washing rain? Obviously not the ideal winter tarp but I might make one up to play around with this spring and was wondering how it would perform in an honest to goodness storm with so much less coverage.
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post
    The Rube Goldberg thread got me thinking about the Ogee tarp design. I am curious from those who have used it, will it keep you dry in a gully washing rain? Obviously not the ideal winter tarp but I might make one up to play around with this spring and was wondering how it would perform in an honest to goodness storm with so much less coverage.
    DSCN1855.jpg
    This first configuration of my little Ogee tarp; was made with 4 yards of fabric, had to be hung way low (right on the hammock SRL) and tight; but kept me dry for two nights of gully washing rains in the Pacific NW

It's now modified into this with an additional 2 yards of OD Silnylon fabric cut up into triangles with short legs (A and B) of 56" and a long length of roughly 79"; Ridge line is still approximately 108" or so; but considering my short 103-104" hammock has a SRL length of about 89", it is long enough for that short hammock.

With the much larger triangles, I have no doubt that it will hold up just fine for 3 season use... possibly 4 seasons, depending on how I set up the tarp.. I know some people have reported winter success with Diamond tarps; so its possible. Just gotta figure out the insulation portion
    In the PNW, especially the valley, we just don't get that much snow.... but up in Cascades and Central-East Oregon, there's snow.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    Thanks Camo. Exactly the feedback I was looking for. So I understand, you did that with 6 yards total? If there is a goal to the potential experiment for me it would be to see how little material I could use for a workable tarp that doesn't require excessive fiddling with to stay dry.
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Gargoyle will likely be along and will be able to weigh in. He has tons of experience in this area.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post
    Thanks Camo. Exactly the feedback I was looking for. So I understand, you did that with 6 yards total? If there is a goal to the potential experiment for me it would be to see how little material I could use for a workable tarp that doesn't require excessive fiddling with to stay dry.
    Yes. 6 yards total for this one. Other, much bigger (12 ft RL) Ogee tarp started with 6 yards as well, but ended up with 3 more yards of OD green silnylon for the way huge triangles.... It's a bit much, and will become a 12ft by 14.5ft diamond tarp.
    I've toyed with idea of using only 5 yards of fabric to make an in-between Ogee tarp, but I think 6 yards is plenty. Gargoyle has a plan that used 6.5 yards, but with some tweaks, it could be done with exactly 6 yards... the only difference is the width of fabric, Gargoyle prefers much wider fabric, I've been using standard 58-59" width fabric, RSBTR sells one color of XL silnylon fabric though.

There is a cut plan for an asymmetric Hex tarp made using 6 yards of fabric somewhere. I did that to 6 yards of woodland ripstop (same as USGI, but no coatings) that was 66-68" wide, hated how it sewed up, because I didn't do as good a job of cutting the fabric as I could... never coated it so far.. might cut it apart and use it for something else.

Made mine out 6 yards of green tea silpoly pu4000. 11' ridgeline and i cant wait for the rains to hit us in a few weeks.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Double View Post
    Made mine out 6 yards of green tea silpoly pu4000. 11' ridgeline and i cant wait for the rains to hit us in a few weeks.
    Pics?

Thanks guys.
    I have stayed dry in some wet, windy weather.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    Yeah, I'd love pics too

Ill throw it up today if its not windy. 30-40 mph winds these last few days.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Pics?

Thanks guys.
    I have stayed dry in some wet, windy weather.
    Great, now I want an Ogee.................again.......
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast