Images

Making it a family affair!

Hello all! I started my hammock research a couple of years ago as we started getting into tent camping with the family - I have four children close in age so up until a couple of years ago I was either pregnant or toting around a young baby which made camping a bit more... challenging. I don't know what triggered my hammock fascination initially, but I eventually got myself an Eno singlenest and Atlas straps from REI (not having a CLUE the depth of the hammock market! WOW!). A couple weeks ago myself and all 4 of my children were in my single hammock and they were asking for their own so I found some on Amazon for $20 (OuterEQ??) - a small investment to see how it goes and with my heaviest weighing maybe 55 lbs they don't need anything heavy duty or anything). Yesterday we got all 4 up and they spent their 1 hour rest time in them - pretty sure they are hooked (as I type this they are back outside in them again today).

My next stage of thinking was that we have 2 boys and 2 girls and they each share a 10x10 room. We don't have a huge amount of stuff (still more than we like though), but the beds take up so much real estate! Not to mention the amount of junk that gets stashed in and under them and the dread that comes with stomach bug clean up in the top bunk. Ugh. I joked with my husband we should just take them out and give them hammocks. He's sold, now I am the one second guessing that decision. After asking a few random friends and family their thoughts I have received a lot of flack and very vocal opposition to the plan, then found this site where the attitude toward it is quite different - now I can at least ask those who have been there, done that (maybe I will still get told it's a stupid idea, who knows). I figured a couple futon floor mats would give them options for not a lot of money or space requirements.

Now I am researching for my dad who is 65 and having more and more issues with his joints - shoulders, neck (degenerative disc for many many years), back, hip, feet, etc. If it's a joint, it probably hurts him. He has spent huge amounts of money on mattresses over the years and still can't get a good night's sleep. My parents thought I was joking when I suggested a hammock, but I told them I was serious, that it might work assuming he had the right set up. I found a bunch of articles and even a discussion on here about sleeping in hammocks to help with back pain so we'll see.

So, all that to say that I look forward to cruising around a bit on here, checking out different set ups (indoors, especially) and just getting to know the lingo in general

Here's my crew lounging yesterday afternoon. The red/grey in the back in my ENO b/c someone stole my daughter's out of the box - got her replacement in today so she's giving it a try right now!

IMG_1455.jpg
    Last edited by FourRingCircus; 03-25-2016 at 12:59. Reason: Added a pic.

Hammock
    Byer Moskito Kakoon
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    That's awesome! I have 5 close in age, the oldest three (6, 4 & 3) all want their own hammocks - and I ended up DIY'ing one for my oldest, and now he's hooked. I'm sure the others are to come around shortly after actually being able to experience and "elevated perspective" .

Have a blast with it! Last year, my wife finally decided she wanted to try camping, so we took all 5 out several times (tent camping) but now she's hooked. What an amazing hobby!! I love it. Good luck. There's tons of information on this site, and people are more than willing to offer up any suggestions they may have.

As always - hang your own hang, and enjoy it to the max!

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon W 1.6
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator E 10°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by FourRingCircus View Post
    but the beds take up so much real estate!
    No joke! I've messed around with a few configurations in my bedroom trying to put a hammock in there, and once I gave up and got rid of my bed, it's like a whole new room!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrogen View Post
    No joke! I've messed around with a few configurations in my bedroom trying to put a hammock in there, and once I gave up and got rid of my bed, it's like a whole new room!
    I'm trying to figure out how to give it a trial run with the current set-up - I can do the younger fairly easily since they have the lower bunks, but not sure about the older two, unless we somehow rig something up up top using the bunk beds as a base and extending something up for anchoring. Still thinking it through. They are pretty excited about it though!

Oh. and I am currently researching for straps for their hammocks. Right now I just have the ropes it came with, but I know that's not good for the trees... I figured their light weight shouldn't be a huge issue, but not sure. I have learned a couple of knots which has me much more confident just making something myself rather than investing in the presewn loop straps.

Hammock
    Netty/ Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    gnome dome/mctarp
    Insulation
    Incubator/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Welcome from Knightdale. We have a family Hang coming up in May, it's the SMoke Butt hang at Falls lake outside Durham NC. Would love to see you there. It's posted on the forums.
    If you don't like my cooking there's always MRE's.***Hotlips

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB CB / UGQ WD
    Insulation
    WB Lynx / LL GP
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    FourRingCircus,
    Don't get discouraged. I have two kids who share a room and in September of 2013, they became full-time hangers and it makes their room so much more usable. They unclip their hammocks and clip them to one side and have the whole room to use to play. We went to Randy and Dream hammock, had him custom make kids hammocks, kids got to choose the colors, we had him put the whoopies on and they are good to go. I will see if I can't find a picture.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Welcome, there are alot of families that hammock together, be it outdoors or full time in the house and you are in the right place for help getting your whole family into it as well.
    Feel free to ask as many questions as you want here, we are a community that's built on sharing info and helping each other out!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts