Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ENO ember2 mod ideas.

I have an ENO Ember 2 UQ. I got it before a trip this spring because I was to broke for somthing nicer. If you have seen one these the insalation runs all the way to the ends of the hammock, it's like a second insulated hammock under your hammock.
    I am considering cutting it down to body size and suspending it like a regular UQ. The idea is to save bulk and weight going in to backpacking season.
    Do any of you have any suggestions or have any of you tried anything like this?

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    If you were going to make a cheap underquilt, I'd suggest selling the ember 2, and using the money on something else.

I'm sure someone would buy it, and you'd have some cash to make a PLUQ, or modify a Costco down throw, buy a snugpak underblanket, or have money towards a jarbidge.

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I wouldn't modify a quilt that's marginal in the first place. It would just make it more marginal.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

The quilt does a nice job. I had it down to 20 degrees last weekend. The problem is that it waists fabric and insalation were my body will never be. It weighs in at 1.5 lb now and I'm hoping to shave a few once and use it for 3 seasons. I don't want or need anything Heavier then that going into this time of year.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GordyTheCook View Post
    The quilt does a nice job. I had it down to 20 degrees last weekend. The problem is that it waists fabric and insalation were my body will never be. It weighs in at 1.5 lb now and I'm hoping to shave a few once and use it for 3 seasons. I don't want or need anything Heavier then that going into this time of year.
    If you're getting 20* out of a quilt rated for 50*, then you're not normal. Most reviews I've read say that the Ember 2 doesn't even do 50* F very well.

Well I did have my 20* down bag and clothing on. I would say that 45* and my summer bag would be comfortable. It was a little cold at 20 and I don't plan to do it again, it is to drafty with no shock cord coding in the sides.

Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con
    You start checking out the goodwill stores for down sleeping bags. This is the time of year to find them. Like Silversurfr said, don't mod the emder, you'll change the ratings and you may not be able to sell it afterwords.

Hammock
    WBBB, Night Owl,WBRR
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex, WD13
    Insulation
    AHNR, LocoGP, AHRC
    Suspension
    adj. web, whoopie
    I have the ember 2 and have to say that on both my hammocks the fit is terrible many gaps and is really a summer only quilt. I did use it down to 30f with a down bag in between the quilt and hammock, with self inflating matress and good 30f sleeping bag.
    “In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there is bacteria.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keith View Post
    I have the ember 2 and have to say that on both my hammocks the fit is terrible many gaps and is really a summer only quilt. I did use it down to 30f with a down bag in between the quilt and hammock, with self inflating matress and good 30f sleeping bag.
    Exactly what I have found, poor fit . A better fit would drop the weight and up the temp rating.

I think modding it is a great idea , the cut of it is the problem not so much the insulation. The lay and gaps and no good adjustment for dealing with those with it are the main issues.

If the quilt is so "marginal" I do not know why people are saying to leave it alone to make it resalable? It would be sell-able with a some thoughtful mods.

Cut it short and roll a hem into it? Sew channels to the side so shock cord can go in there and snug it up? I have a few pictures of similar mods I have done message me and I will send you the pics
    Last edited by Jeff Myers; 03-27-2016 at 13:39.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    So the manufacturer rates it at 50* F, but with some ingenuity, mods and time they could up the temp rating? I wonder why ENO hasn't figured that out if it's so easy.

I still think it's a waste of time - there's a reason we never had a show on TV called "Pimp my Yugo."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast